The B Teams Boycott EFL Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The B Teams Boycott EFL Trophy

I know we aren't talking about this but it was the first round tonight.

What were the attendances? They seem pretty difficult to get these days.

Comment

Well the boycott memo didn't reach the far south west as almost 4000 attended the game against Chelsea B.

The club promoted it far more aggresively than usual with £8 tickets and free admission for kids. Given they voted against the proposals they bleated about making a loss if fans stayed away and wheeled out the manager to plead for fans to make the difference. There was plenty of social media pressure but too many couldn't, or refused to, see the big picture.

Dispiriting stuff all round.

Comment

1,127 saw Scunny beat Sunderland's kids 3-1. That crowd is about par for an early Freight Rover Trophy game at Glanford Park, although it is still the school holidays. The Iron gave a second senior appearance to young defender Lewis Butroid, so at least the crowd were offered some childish amusement (unless it's just me that finds it funny). I wasn't there.

Comment

How is Butroid pronounced? Is it Byou-troid, Butt-roid, or something else?

Comment

Why is it starting so early, overlapping with early League Cup rounds? I always assumed it was designed for midseason.

Comment

Most League One and Two sides are out of the Cup already. Only Rovers (B. and D.) remain.
              Last edited by Kevin S; 30-08-2017, 08:02.

Comment

Always a pleasure to beat a Steve Evans side, regardless of the competition. City made 6 changes, believe Mansfield made 10 and about 900 City fans went last night.

Comment

There were 161, and a further 913 watching online, for Donny R'sonists 1-0 away win at Grimsby Internet Mariners.

The two fan's teams staged a charity fixture at the same time as Rovers and Town met as part of the fans' boycott of the competition.

Comment

It's bloody easy to boycott when you don't even realise your team is playing. Wimbledon visited Barnet last night and though I thought I vaguely heard something about it over the tannoy on Saturday nobody sitting around me seemed to know anything about it so I thought I'd misheard and thought nothing more of it since.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      How is Butroid pronounced? Is it Byou-troid, Butt-roid, or something else?
                      I think it might be an alternative spelling of Butroyd, -royd being a common place name in West Yorkshire and also in surnames (Murgatroyd, Ackroyd, etc).

EDIT: It might be an alternative spelling of the more common Boothroyd. Pronounced -roid.
                      Last edited by Me Old Flower; 30-08-2017, 15:45.

Comment

I think all of the alternative spellings and pronunciations still point to someone known to have a (possibly fatal) case of the Nobby Stiles.

Comment

It seems 353 Carlisle fans watched us win at Morecambe, which is disappointing. Our team included a couple of young lads that I'd like to see play, but I'm not desperate enough to go and watch them in this shambles.

Comment

I support the boycott... but I'm also a hypocrite and if Shrewsbury got to Wembley I'd likely go. As long as they weren't playing a B team in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                              Always a pleasure to beat a Steve Evans side, regardless of the competition. City made 6 changes, believe Mansfield made 10 and about 900 City fans went last night.
                              Can't argue with this. After ignoring it completely and utterly for the last six years, I found myself following the web feed with more interest than I'd care to admit. Wouldn't go to Mansfield (but then I never have), but would definitely go to Wembley.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                Most League One and Two sides are out of the Cup already. Only Rovers (B. and D.) remain.
                                Bristol or Blackburn?

Comment

Overheard in the pub last night from an ex-player; Chesterfield have sold 3 (three) tickets for their trip to Rotherham next week.

Comment

Shrewsbury are beating West Bromwich U21. I think my dad went.

Comment

3-0 FT. That's 2 wins in 2 for the Shrews.

Comment

Stop talking about this is as if these are actual football matches.

Comment

Another disappointingly large crowd at Argyle tonight.

However the discovery of a Brent Out sticker on a lamppost generated far more internet traffic than match chat so it's not all bad.

Comment

It feels wonderful, no matter the competition, to say it. Here goes.

Port Vale won a game. Their thus far hopeless keeper had a stormer too.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                              Stop talking about this is as if these are actual football matches.
                                              Seconded

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                Seconded
                                                Tend to agree, but we did beat Grimsby last night, which I will take at whatever level/standard of football.

Comment

One thing I will guarantee is that Barnet will never win a penalty shoot out in this or any other competition. The only one we have one, to my knowledge, was against Swindon in the FA Cup about ten years ago, and that was only because all four Swindon penalties missed the goal.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X