Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been to Cluj? (Ad Hoc, I'm looking at you)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to Cluj? (Ad Hoc, I'm looking at you)

Blue Air have opened up a route from Liverpool to Cluj for £29 return. Is it worth a weekend away? I've never been to Romania and the brutalism of Ceaucescu's remodelling of Bucharest puts me off wanting to visit there.

It's been more than 30 years, and ad hoc is infinitely better situated, but I'd say the answer is likely yes.

It's a university city, with the requisite accoutrements, which I can only imagine have become more numerous and developed in the intervening time.

The airport is also quite close to the Old Town.

Comment

Yeah it's nice Cluj. Smallish but attractive old town, interesting history, big university town so loads of life, and from an English perspective dirt cheap. You can get a pint for about a pound (even as that currency continues to fall) in a bar.

And BlueAir is the nicest low cost airline in Europe

Comment

Someone I work with has just flown out there - he's going on to Moldova, Odessa and Bucharest before he flies home, I think - will get his opinions when he returns.

Comment

Purves Grundy once of this parish was just there, if you're connected to him on FB then you can ask him too.

Honestly it's not my favourite city in Romania by some distance but it's a really up and coming place. It's the capital of Transylvania (and Jonathan Harker stops there on his way to Dracula's place in the novel - it's called Klausenberg in the novel, the German name)

Comment

I didn't know you could still get to Odessa. Thought it was effectively closed to Western travellers. I know a lot of the Black Sea cruise routes have shut down.

Comment

Odessa is on the opposite side of the country from Crimea

There are frequent flight from Warsaw and Kyiv

Comment

Cluj is all right. Probably not more than a day's worth of sightseeing. Old town is pretty for sure. I think it was the Euro culture capital last year or the one before so maybe there's still some stuff around from that. I think if you rent a car and can get away to other nearby places it would be all right: Purves raves about Oardea, which I think is only 1-2 hours away.

Comment

I go in two weeks. One evening after arrival, a day out on a castle tour, then a day on foot sightseeing in Cluj. Now I just need to learn if it's pronounced "Clue", "Clooge", or "Cludge".

Comment

It's pronounced Kolozsvar

I know you asked me this elsewhere but haven't got round to answering yet. I will. Eventually.

In Romanian it is pronounced Kloozs (where that zs sounds like the s in leisure)

Comment

Where's the castle tour taking you? Bonchida?

Comment

Cheers ad hoc. We're off to Corvin and Alba Iulia.

Comment

Ohh that's a fair distance, but they are two of the best castles in Romania. Hunedoara in particular (that's Corvin). Alba Iulia is nice too It's where the "unification of Romania" thing was signed, and I just saw on the TV last night that they've been renovating the building where it happened (not the castle), especially for this year, the hundrdeth anniversary of this event and the creation of modern Romania (obviously it will be a big deal) - but that they won;t be finished and the building will still be closed come December 1st (the date) . A very comedy Romanian thing to happen

Comment

Working...
                          X