So, Dick Francis then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Dick Francis then

I've just finished reading my first Dick Francis novel Hot Money about a wealthy father whose 9 children from 5 ex-wives all want his money. The plot is relatively straight forward, but the multitude of characters makes it difficult to follow. In fact, there is even a list of the main characters ex-wives and family before the first chapter! The story is told through Malcolm Pembroke's (the main character) son Ian, who just so happens to be a jockey! Ian narrates the story, how he protects his father and how there are further attempts on both him and his fathers life. The book comes to a interesting if unexpected finale, with the murderer finally being unmasked.

A good read, 5/5.

Ah that's a good one. My mum read loads of Dick Francis books, meaning I read loads as a teenager. 'Proof' was a good one.

They all have a racing theme, some more tangential than others. There was one about horse smuggling I remember, but don't know which one it is.

Comment

Used to love Dick Francis as a teenager - my sister had battered paperbacks of all his stuff. I think my Mum read them all too. Then at some point it seemed like they were getting churned out and you were reading the same book pretty much every time.

Comment

Hot Money was a good one to start off with - some are better than others, although none were actually bad. For Kicks was my favourite, although one about a jockey losing his nerve (which may or may not have been called Nerve) was also pretty good.

Comment

Mostly written by his wife apparently

Good but get pretty samey after the first two or three. A jockey/trainer or ex jockey/trainer finds some skulduggery close to racing. Gets beaten up. Grits his teeth through the pain. Cracks the case. usually gets girl.

Comment

Just finished another - High Stakes - about a horse which had been switched by the trainer without the owner knowing. Fairly light reading and it fills in the time on the train which is important.

Comment

Working...
            X