X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacGregor v Mayweather

This is just a circus, right?

Yes.

To quote someone else, possibly from here, "there is no possible result that isn't absolutely hilarious". Mayweather sparks McGregor in two rounds, McGregor is a loud-mouthed idiot, McGregor lasts all twelve and Mayweather looks an idiot, McGregor wins, boxing dies.

Comment

a) why is this thread in Sport?

b) why is it "hilarious" if boxing dies?

Comment

In the cuntitude stakes, this is like Trump fighting himself. The tragedy of this nonsense is that one of these two objectionably individuals will attain "legend" status. On balance, rather let Mayweather finish the racist off in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          b) why is it "hilarious" if boxing dies?
          Because I'm a huge fan of cosmic irony. If one of the sports GOAT gets clobbered by an Irish chancer where a lot of other boxers, who have trained and prepared their entire lives, have failed then how the hell boxing could consider itself the premier combat sport after that, I don't know.

Comment

Why does the smart money assume McGregor has no chance?

The athletic ability of top fighters is amazing, but I want nothing to do with any of this. I can still tolerate sports where brain damage is a risk. But I can't bear to watch sports where brain damage is the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              Why does the smart money assume McGregor has no chance?
              Because it is the same as putting Dale Earnhardt Jr up against Lewis Hamilton, with both drivers going around Silverstone for a GP distance in identical F1 cars that are guaranteed not to break down.

Comment

Are they not in the same weight class or is McGregor not a good puncher?

Comment

McGregor has never been in a boxing match. I'm no expert on either MMA or boxing, but even Rocky had gone a few proper boxing rounds before taking on Apollo Creed.

Comment

The pundits reckon Mayweather will string it out for a few rounds because there's no point taking risks and an early KO would expose the farce even more. Could conceivably go to points, which could only be in Mayweather's favour, so again he has no incentive to risk anything.

Comment

Why have they been allowed to where light weight gloves which can potentially do more damage?

Comment

I hope they both lose. But the cheeky chappy self-mythologizing racist even more. Vaudeville bollocks.

Comment

Association of Ringside Physicians denounce farce.

“We were very surprised this bout was even sanctioned and was going to be permitted to carry on,” said Larry Lovelace, a doctor and the president of the organization, which is focused on preserving fighter safety. “The thing I really fear, truly fear, is that somebody’s going to get really hurt in this upcoming fight.”

Comment

I remember being given a Jimmy Reid essay on the barbarity of boxing (and the class and race dimension) as an English exam question for Standard Grade (16). Was mind blowing, the best, most enjoyable exam I ever had. Probably spent too long reading the damn thing though. Can't find it online but. He was arguing from ethical, medical, moral, and on quietly Marxist class/race grounds as well, for boxing to be banned. But admitted the undoubted artistry and bravery that creates awe, however uncomfortable, in it. I don't see any of that in MMA. It's a coursening, an apathy to potential fatality, we're all fuckin jaded and Roman. It's as stupid as wrestling but with added spicy special wrestling moves. And more blood and threat of death right there in the ring.

Don King might have dragged boxing simultaneously to the sewer and Vince McMahon style showbiz, but MMA seems even worse. Normalizing brutality. The shit made illegal in the fucking 1880s.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-08-2017, 21:31.

Comment

I find that my colleagues who witter on about MMA and McGregor are the types who don't really like sport, and who tend to also blather on about superhero movies and the like.

They are convinced he's going to win, probably because they know nothing about sport.

Mayweather can pick which round he wants to end it, he'll probably have been encouraged to let it drag on for 8 or 9 rounds to give the pay per view morons* value for money and make the event seem like a genuine and worthwhile exercise.

* No offence to any OTFers who are forking out. Well some offence but moron might be a bit strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                Why have they been allowed to where light weight gloves which can potentially do more damage?
                                Even though it was spun as a positive for McGregor, Mayweather has used them in about 80% of his previous fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  If one of the sports GOAT gets clobbered...
                                  Woah, woah, he is not one of the greatest of all time. I think that even close watchers of boxing in the recent years would only put him as one of the best in his time fighting. He is the same weight class as both Sugar Rays so he can't come anywhere near the greatest middle weight of all time let alone boxer.

As for the circus, I hope both fighters lose. Especially in the year that we saw one of the best fights in recent years between two excellent, dignified and respectful boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    That's interesting. As I understand it, one of the criticisms of amateur boxing is their use of the 10oz heavier gloves as they can cause more damage.

Comment

They're both very unlikable. Mayweather's serial abuse of women and terrorizing his children is worse to me than McGregor's cuntishness.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        Because I'm a huge fan of cosmic irony. If one of the sports GOAT gets clobbered by an Irish chancer where a lot of other boxers, who have trained and prepared their entire lives, have failed then how the hell boxing could consider itself the premier combat sport after that, I don't know.
                                        Bored got in before me to point out that he is nowhere near a great of all time in the sport. He's a fantastic match-maker and self-promoter (literally) in an era of slim pickings for boxing in general.

Admittedly he has a wonderful, defensive technique and that one element has seen him through a career but we will not be talking about him in ten years, let alone fifty - unless it's as part of a low point for the sport.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-08-2017, 01:00.

Comment

Ultimately, fuck this shit. I was quite proud it hadn't been referred to on here at all in the build up, am very disappointed we even have a thread on it and ashamed of myself for biting and responding to it.

Let's just delete it, ignore the pathetic Trumpian farce and any reference to it and talk about GGG v Carnelo instead.

Comment

I'm not sure we can just stick our heads on the sand and hope it goes away.

Comment

From what I've seen on Youtube, McGregor has his hands low when moving around, which is necessary for being able to use the feet in kickboxing. It's totally the wrong stance for a boxer; the balance is way off and the feet are not planted properly. Ali got away with low hands when he was younger because he had freakish reflexes for a big guy but that was built on countless hours as an amateur then in rookie pro fights, and he had at least one scare due to being sloppy (being floored by Henry Cooper).

Comment

During their Shit Talking Express hype tour for the fight, McGregor said to Mayweather "dance for me, boy," something that a lot of people took to be racist because of "boy," while others said "boy" was used in just an Irish English slang way. He also, unfortunately, said that he couldn't be racist because he was half black...pause...."i'm black from the belly button down!" He also gave an interview with someone who asked about Rocky III and said "is that the one with the dancing monkeys in the gym?"

He's had past comments which could be interpreted as racist. He called Nate Diaz a "cholo from the hood." And this astounding quote before fighting the Brazilian Jose Aldo: "I own this town, I own Rio de Janeiro. I would invade his favela on horseback and would kill anyone who wasn’t fit to work, but we’re in a new time, so I’ll whoop his ass instead."

Maybe he's just purely ignorant about the connotations of what he's said, and he just meant it in a general trash talking way to disrespect and opponent. If that was the case, it's quite remarkable that he innocently manages to accidentally say things that a lot of people find to be racist, over and over again.

Comment

It sounds as if both combatants are hideously unappealing and obnoxious personalities, which is of course a big negative around this event, but there's a fascinating cross-code experimental quality to it. Reminds me of the Bath v Wigan fixtures at league and union a couple of decades ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X