No announcement yet.

MacGregor v Mayweather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you think McGregor is bad you should see his fans, gym bunny love /hate wannabees from the scummier areas of Dublin (if you think I'm being snobby I live amongst them ).A friend of mine runs a post office and she said they were all in last week buying dollars, she went through about 6 months worth in a couple of days

Comment

A couple of weeks after Charlottesville, the sight of an angry white man with a reputation for racism standing face-to-face with an African-American, shouting vitriol and racially-charged insults is unsettling. These weigh-in events are managed; it was considered a good idea to have that kind of thing broadcast? It really is Trump's World, and McGregor is Trump's World's man. I hope Mayweather beats the shit out of that asshole.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm not sure you can really root for a serial wife beater over a racist. You're basically saying that racial language is worse than domestic violence.

Comment

i was woken by a whatsapp from Vegas, it seems that Bono for the trump age lost. I hope he made a lot of money, because he's going to lose half to the taxman, and half to his long suffering partner. How long will a quarter of that money last when he's living in a hotel like a cross between an exiled russian nobleman/eamon de valera on his american trip.

just to go back to what bruno says, there's nothing Irish about mcgregor's way of going on, it's about the least Irish thing possible. His confidence is more down to him being obsessed with "The Secret." I don't think he has a problem with Black people. He just deliberately uses racist language to make money. So he's a cynical racist. Like Luis Suarez.

Comment

"The Secret."
            Is that a self-help book?

Comment

it is The Self Help book.

Comment

Thank God it's all over.

Comment

There seemed to be a murmur among McGregor fans that it was stopped prematurely but from the stream that's on Youtube (presumably temporarily) Mayweather was landing at will and just lacked the clean KO. McGregor predictably was out of gas.

Comment

Here's an objective report (I have no interest in nor knowledge of either man's sport or record, but found myself having a very early breakfast on the BelAir- Liverpool ferry this morning). Everyone else watching on TV seemed to be supporting McGregor, so they were lively for the first two rounds. When I returned from getting a coffee midway through round five, they'd all given up- Merryweather was ambling around the ring with a big smirk on his face and many of the ringside audience had put their trics away. After a couple of rounds of this he forced CMG into a corner and battered him until the referee stopped it.I did notice quite a few punches to the back of the head and some wrestling.

A bit defensive there Berba. Nobody's saying McGregor's an Irish stereotype, just a racist knobend in a freak show. With a large Irish support. Surprised you haven't suggested he's a closet Nordie from Crumlin Co. Antrim

Noticed a row on social media started by my entertainment hack cousin. CMG's people invited U2 along to play the national anthem as Bruno says, but Bonehead was really tidying his sock drawer. So slightly less well-known Imelda May stepped in, cancelling the English festival gig she was due to headline with Toploader. It's still a tuneless dirge about figthing with foreigners btw.
                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 27-08-2017, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Thank God it's all over.
                      Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      There seemed to I be a murmur among McGregor fans that it was stopped prematurely
                      Just preparing the grounds for a possible rematch, once the promoters and Showtime have worked out whether they made a profit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno

He began by shouting that he'd "made him fight like a Mexican" whatever that means.
                        "Mexican style"

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

slightly less well-known Imelda May stepped in, cancelling the English festival gig she was due to headline with Toploader.
                        Couldn't have been a very big festival then.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-08-2017, 12:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                          [CMG's] a fine athlete and he took this fight as seriously as possible. He didn't embarrass himself and he can laugh to the bank. He's clearly a wanker though. It's such a depressing scene culture-wise
                          Leaving aside his obnoxiousness, how seriously did he need to take it- if most fight fans on here and beyond are agreed that FM was likely to string it along for 8- 10 rounds, as happened.

One of his sparring partners- a guy who turned out for NI in the Commonwealth Games- said CMG was going to fight Ursus Arctos (the other one) for his next stunt

Comment

he has to spend all his time telling us how good he is, because he takes part in a tiny sport, with an athlete pyramid numbered in the hundreds or low thousands. If they didn't keep telling us all the time how great MMA was, everyone would ignore it.

The worrying thing is that there are a lot of young people in Ireland who think he is some kind of god, because he went from being on the dole to being a massive multi millionaire, you know, the sort of moron that believes in the american dream, and they will forgive him literally anything. Point out that he's a racist troll, and they'll just call you jealous, or claim you are not giving him due credit for his supernatural sportsmanship. I'm worried that his mindless racism for pay will normalize that among his fans.

This stuff is all over the Irish media for the reason that there is a hardcore of fans who will share each article or interview clip thirty times each. All of the most read and most watched clips on every media outlet are to do with him. If you write something critical about him, it's click bait gold. so we all have to live with the coverage.

Comment

meh, making a lot of money on PPV doesn't make you a big sport. It means you have a devoted affluent fanbase. It's not the same thing.

Comment

Mayweather called McGregor a "faggot" which adds to his arseholery quotient.

Comment

Rotsa ruck getting a reliable figure

Comment

I watched it at a backyard party, these people usually go all out when it comes to big fights. He had a projector set up in the backyard connected to the satellite box. Since the screen was so big, I thought I would try to put it on Facebook Live. My live feed lasted for about 30 seconds before Facebook shut it down for copyright violation. The speed in which they cut it off was pretty impressive, I must say. They probably had a huge spike of people streaming to FB Live as the fight was starting. Apparently Periscope and Instagram did not cut out the streams. The same hosts will be having another party for GGG v. Canelo, I'll try Instagram next time.

Comment

In terms of carnival clown fights, a bit better than Cannonball Lee - 21:25 in - , but not as good as Stuttering John vs Crazy Cabbie.

Comment

I think even McGregor realized beforehand that his chances were extremely slim. His fans were maybe more gullible.

Comment

So at the weekend this happened.

We might have to issue a national apology to that American Journalist we drowned in scorn. I mean literally everything he wrote was entirely wrong, but I don't think that counts at this point.

Comment

The gossip flying around my home suburb of Crumlin! McGregor apparently went looking for a minor player in the gang as that person had hassled a friend of his. In the ensuing melee, an innocent older gentleman tried to break it up and got caught badly in the crossfire of punches.

That older man is apparently the dad of Graham “The Wig” Whelan who got his nickname from his penchant of wearing ladies wigs whilst allegedly conducting gangland hits. As it happens I played schoolboy football with him - a useful box to box midfielder. Having not seen him for more than 20 years, he seems like an individual that you don’t want to have as an enemy.

This with the other salacious rumors about McGregor alongside the Ballygarret hurlers has just shown how quickly WhatsApp messages can go viral.

Comment

Working...
                                            X