No announcement yet.

Eni Aluko, Mark Sampson and the FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's instructive how badly the women's teams get treated in comparison to the men's international set up. The Irish women's team had to go on strike to draw attention to really awful conditions, like sharing tracksuits with the underage teams, and swapping with them in an airport. The FA come out of this looking terrible.

Eni Aluko could always get a job on MOTD. I saw a bit of her when the BBC were covering some women's international tournament and she was clearly the most intelligent pundit the BBC have employed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
      It's instructive how badly the women's teams get treated in comparison to the men's international set up. The Irish women's team had to go on strike to draw attention to really awful conditions.
      So, exactly like Roy Keane then?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        It's not hard to figure out who the player is from the clues Aluko gives. To the point where one wonders why Aluko didn't simply tell the FA who it was meant to be.
        Her position seems to be that the FA shouldn't have had to think very hard to work out who she's alluding to:
        Originally posted by The Guardian
        According to the FA, it did not know the ["Haven’t you been arrested before?"] player’s identity because Aluko did not name which team-mate it was. Yet Aluko’s original complaint made it clear who it was, stating the incident happened at the China Cup in October 2015 and involved a mixed-race midfielder – the only one in the squad – who was new to the England set-up, had been raised in London, and even naming the club for which she played.
        The Guardian’s inquiries discovered the player’s identity by applying a simple search of the FA’s website, but we have chosen not to name her after a request from the player and her club. “The most basic investigation, if they really wanted to find the truth, would have found out who it was,” Aluko says. “They could have got her name in minutes if they really wanted the truth.”
        From the 'clues' in the above, I believe I (like the Guardian) narrowed it down to one possibility from about 45 seconds' work on Google. That the FA seem not to have desired conducting this deep an investigation would appear to speak volumes about them.

Comment

You could say the FA Drew their own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
            They tend to stay at similar hotels, and do a fair amount of interviews with the squad. Access to Women's squads is supposed to be much easier than the Men's, as well. I can understand why he believed he had a good feel for what was going on, even as an outsider. Turns out he wasn't getting a full picture. Though, of course, those with a grievance were no longer in the squad
            I wasn't criticising Pearce, or even gently suggesting he might be a bit complacent or unimaginative, as I think Nef was above (apologies if I misunderstood that). Merely that his comment was just a harmless cliche intended to keep morale high.

I've had dinner twice, at their invitation, with the NI women's team. At both their away games I've attended, in Belgium and Scotland. There were eight and three away fans respectively, all bar one male. Pizza and soft drinks- they're elite athletes and in our case many are still teenagers (quite a few 15 year olds have been in our senior squad). There weren't any visible cliques separating the schoolgirls and older players, semi-pros and amateurs or Nationalists and Unionists etc. Most of the players are either students or employees (school coaching etc.). So they talked about the game just played and going back to College/ work the next day.

The Belgium Women's team are based in Dessel near the Dutch border, otherwise best known as a nuclear waste dump

PS head coach Alfie Wylie broke down in tears when interviewed after our U-19s drew with Scotland in the recent finals. Possibly because the entire squad rushed to snog him at the final whistle.
            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 22-08-2017, 12:54.

Comment

No one's mentioned the other investigation from the FA into Aluko apparently acting as an agent while playing which contravenes FA rules.

The FA don't look good here, but settling an ET to prevent a lot of additional expense and hassle isn't a terrible crime. They're correct to say it isn't hush money because that looks like they are hiding something. They asked for confidentiality/ no disrepute as part of the settlement and Aluko presumably agreed to it. It wasn't an unreasonable request. 80k plus a 20k central contract means she got paid the equivalent of a 5 year career.

Comment

I haven't seen any evidence that that charge was true. In the Guardian article, she says that she was acting as a lawyer without acting as an agent, which is certainly plausible.

It's also worth noting that the FA had previously publicised her legal career.

Comment

Its no surprise people like Samson get to keep their job despite the overwhelming evidence when there are so many lay people going out of their way to excuse their comments. The FA would not pay 100K if they didn't think he was guilty?

It's clear they "whitewashed" the inquiry due to his winning record.

Kudos to Aluko for showing the bravery to stand up to these bigots.

Comment

They might. Employers settle all the time to prevent the costs of a tribunal and avoid bad publicity.

A joke about ebola back when it was a major public health risk to someone who had family travelling from one of the affected areas was incredibly poor taste. But from the description it was a quip without any malice aforethought.

The other stuff seems really convoluted. I wouldn't excuse it, as it sounds like terrible management and utterly stupid. What was he thinking if / when he said those things?

It's a leap though to see a racist conspiracy led by "bigots" though. Still 'no smoke without fire' etc etc

Comment

I can imagine the manner in which he said the Ebola remark, and his little rat face while doing so. No way can I see that as genuine concern, or without malice, it's sneering Nick ferrari/Clarkson cuntishness. Micro aggression is a shit word, but I think it fits in the descriptions of Sampson's behaviour here. I'd say the main reason the FA "couldn't" spend five minutes googling the player of mixed race who Our Hero made the "how many times have you been arrested?" gag to, is cos a) she's never been arrested, and b) that reeks of stone racist cuntiness that is an instantly sackable offence. Couldn't risk that before the Euros.
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-08-2017, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        They might. Employers settle all the time to prevent the costs of a tribunal and avoid bad publicity.

A joke about ebola back when it was a major public health risk to someone who had family travelling from one of the affected areas was incredibly poor taste. But from the description it was a quip without any malice aforethought.

The other stuff seems really convoluted. I wouldn't excuse it, as it sounds like terrible management and utterly stupid. What was he thinking if / when he said those things?

It's a leap though to see a racist conspiracy led by "bigots" though. Still 'no smoke without fire' etc etc
                        Ok, keep thinking that mate.

This is why the likes of Boycott, Big Ron and Malky Mckay stayed in gainful employment for so long.

This is another reason why black people don't usually complain about this stuff because nobody believes you unless the person confesses (or your allegations are corroborated by a white person).

Also bear in mind that the Guardian would have done their own investigations (probably including off the record discussions with Aluko's teammates present during these incidents) before printing this story.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          I can imagine the manner in which he said the Ebola remark, and his little rat face while doing so. No way can I see that as genuine concern, or without malice, it's sneering Nick ferrari/Clarkson cuntishness. Micro aggression is a shit word, but I think it fits in the descriptions of Sampson's behaviour here. I'd say the main reason the FA "couldn't" spend five minutes googling the player of mixed race who Our Hero made the "how many times have you been arrested?" gag to, is cos a) she's never been arrested, and b) that reeks of stone racist cuntiness that is an instantly sackable offence. Couldn't risk that before the Euros.
                          Excellent post.

The failing to speak to the player reeks of plausible deniability.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                            It's instructive how badly the women's teams get treated in comparison to the men's international set up. The Irish women's team had to go on strike to draw attention to really awful conditions, like sharing tracksuits with the underage teams, and swapping with them in an airport. The FA come out of this looking terrible.

Eni Aluko could always get a job on MOTD. I saw a bit of her when the BBC were covering some women's international tournament and she was clearly the most intelligent pundit the BBC have employed.
                            The Scottish Women's team were highlighting similar lack of funding and disrespect from the SFA. It's a miracle they qualified at all, let alone almost got through the group stage.

Comment

This pretty much sums it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...fa-must-answer

It sounds like the FA didn't care: thought it was just 'banter' and sweeped it under the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Jah, would you mind showing your workings here?

Perhaps it is because I am a lawyer (as is Aluko), but to me agreeing to a substantial monetary settlement rather than going through the trouble and uncertainty of an employment tribunal is a perfectly rational thing to do that really shouldn't "weaken" the claimant's position. If anything, I would think that the FA's agreeing to such a settlement is a concession that she had a strong case for unfair dismissal.
                                You're right - my bad, that was very poorly worded. Legally it won't - or shouldn't - put her in a weakened position at all: it's the perception of the public/media that might interpret a compromise here. The defence team might, however, also try and exploit this angle. (Back-pedalling a bit, but I was wrong upthread.)

Comment

Anita Assante comes out in support of Aluko.

Comment

And that's that. Collect your cards Sampson. Hopefully a few of the FA board follow the bastard out the door.

Comment

What's the bets it turns out football journos all knew he was a wrong 'un, just like Malky Mackay, but chose to keep it a private thing?

Comment

The England manager's union is in rude health

Comment

What a prick. A new Seb Coe style blazer in the making, when England get booted out the World Cup in the second round.

Comment

I find it incomprehensible that Southgate has felt the need to come out with all that, when it looks so much as if there's more than meets the eye going on within the England women's setup. To back up his platitudes by mentioning the "independent" report twice in almost as many breaths, when all evidence so far shows that said inquiry was rushed, incomplete and not necessarily actually independent, seems bizarrely insular and shortsighted of him.

Comment

He's confirming my belief that even the most anodyne benign looking wazzocks in management are sharks and ruthless ammoral careerists.

Comment

Feels to me that he's been put under a lot of pressure and been given a script. (Of course that doesn't justify his readiness to deliver it. )

But what a bunch of racist old hypocrites the FA are. The most telling detail I found were the succession of positive Mark Sampson tweets about Obama or The Williams sisters in response to allegations of racism.

Like Trump appointing Ben Carson.

Comment

Nef, I wondered the same - maybe he was fed the answer. It was obvious he was going to be asked about it. I can hardly imagine him coming out with a character assassination in that situation.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X