No announcement yet.

Eni Aluko, Mark Sampson and the FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could have explained the procedure instead of giving such a dickish reply.

Comment

Well, he said he had on 3 previous occasions.

Comment

Still a dickish reply.

Or forward it to the right person with Aluko copied in.

Comment

Ian Wright on Radio 5

Comment

I'm not saying it's a good response, just not one as bad as it looks in isolation

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
              Wasn't she though? In a perfect world, clubs would be knocking down Eni Aluko's door to work for them and, of course, the FA should really be offering her a job as well. It will be interesting to see if anything comes from this. Of course, with her legal qualifications, she probably wouldn't need any offers but she would be a great addition anywhere.
              Absolutely this ^^^, but she'll probably continue to be viewed as the problem, rather than the solution. But her evidence to the committee was absolutely riveting stuff, and perfectly delivered.
              Last edited by The Red Max; 19-10-2017, 08:35.

Comment

Not sure what the 'clubs' reference is to - Aluko plays for Chelsea, who are top of the WSL and just knocked Bayern out of the Champions League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyNYylkxKp8&t=4m

Her manager's post match comments: "[It was a] really great moment for her to come on and get that fantastic reception from the home crowd. It's been a really tough time for Eni but she's made of strong stuff and her focus is firmly on football now. I thought it was a great way to cap off a really difficult week."
                Last edited by Kevin S; 19-10-2017, 09:08.

Comment

If only she wasn't such an intensely frustrating player to watch. One of those who consistently gets into brilliant positions and then makes the wrong decision far, far too often.

One of the things from yesterday was that she has over 100 caps, and this was offered as evidence that she couldn't possibly have been dropped on Footballing grounds. Whether she was or not is still disputed, but as a follower of the Lionesses and back when there was no reason for supporters to believe it was anything other than a coach feeling he had better options in her position, I was never particularly bothered or surprised that Aluko had been displaced. I really don't feel she merits a place in the current squad. Sanderson's disappearance raised more of an eyebrow with me, but, well, she rarely stays with any team more than a year or two.

Comment

That's actually reassuring to me, Janik. I don't pretend to know much about Aluko as a player but I watched a fair amount of the World Cup in 2015, where she was hyped as an important part of the England team. As a consequence of that I kept a close eye on her and was surprised to find that she lost the ball or made a mistake pretty much all the time. I could not understand the fuss at all.

Comment

Which invites the question as to whether playing for a cunt like Sampson might have had an adverse effect on her performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                        That's actually reassuring to me, Janik. I don't pretend to know much about Aluko as a player but I watched a fair amount of the World Cup in 2015, where she was hyped as an important part of the England team. As a consequence of that I kept a close eye on her and was surprised to find that she lost the ball or made a mistake pretty much all the time. I could not understand the fuss at all.
                        Isn't that just something inherent to people playing international football for england though, be they Male or female? Even Harry (this is how his Connemara father spells and pronounces Keane) Kane looks like a leaden footed oaf with the three lions on his chest. I can understand the point that ye are making, but it strikes me as an odd one to make about an england international.

Comment

England women don't seem to underachieve at national level compared to club level.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            Which invites the question as to whether playing for a cunt like Sampson might have had an adverse effect on her performance?
                            This is the key issue. Performance can't be detached from the context in which the player has to perform. She perhaps plays more freely for Chelsea because she doesn't have the fear of failure that a black player in a white-centric team understandably carries. John Barnes might be a parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                              Some such performances from her in the national team predate Sampson. And I've seen similar things in club games from her as well. I just don't rate her as a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                Not sure what the 'clubs' reference is to - Aluko plays for Chelsea, who are top of the WSL and just knocked Bayern out of the Champions League.
                                I thought she was nearer the end of her career but I suppose, at 30, maybe not. Are Chelsea's players full-time?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                  If only she wasn't such an intensely frustrating player to watch. One of those who consistently gets into brilliant positions and then makes the wrong decision far, far too often.

One of the things from yesterday was that she has over 100 caps, and this was offered as evidence that she couldn't possibly have been dropped on Footballing grounds. Whether she was or not is still disputed, but as a follower of the Lionesses and back when there was no reason for supporters to believe it was anything other than a coach feeling he had better options in her position, I was never particularly bothered or surprised that Aluko had been displaced. I really don't feel she merits a place in the current squad. Sanderson's disappearance raised more of an eyebrow with me, but, well, she rarely stays with any team more than a year or two.
                                  To be honest I am not sure what the relevance of her performances are here. All women footballers show glaring inadequacies with regards to ability, decision-making and basic technique. You would expect the top English goalscorer in the Premier league to at least be in the squad.

Comment

Getting back on topic. I am not surprised that the non UK people are surprised at these revelations. The truth is that racism is something that isn't taken very seriously at all in the UK and the standard response is to sweep it under the carpet and silence the complainant. Failing that, victimise the person and assassinate their character. The default position tends to be scepticism and disbelief until the facts are undeniable then it's an 100% u turn and attempt to blame a small portion of society (old white men, inbred country folk). This is why racism persists and very little will be done.
                                    I am waiting for the declaration of a "root and branch" enquiry for my bingo card to be complete.

Comment

Don't forget "lessons need to be / will be learned"

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                        Getting back on topic. I am not surprised that the non UK people are surprised at these revelations. The truth is that racism is something that isn't taken very seriously at all in the UK and the standard response is to sweep it under the carpet and silence the complainant. Failing that, victimise the person and assassinate their character. The default position tends to be scepticism and disbelief until the facts are undeniable then it's an 100% u turn and attempt to blame a small portion of society (old white men, inbred country folk). This is why racism persists and very little will be done.
                                        I am waiting for the declaration of a "root and branch" enquiry for my bingo card to be complete.
                                        In all fairness TG, it's actually difficult to tell what is the main thing here, or if there even is a main thing, and that it's all just various facets of a single gleaming shit diamond. This is a total abuse of power shitnado. Racism is clearly a big part, It's the most prominent part. Racism is what Mark Sampson said to what in hindsight was entirely the wrong person, but given that he was fired for an entirely different kind of inappropriate behaviour, that should have prevented him from being appointed, it could also be a woman thing. But the most striking thing about the FA's response, is the degree they are prepared to go to to protect one of their own, no matter what, against someone that they don't think important enough to fear, or take seriously. which in turn makes their claims to take racism or women remotely seriously absurd.

Is this because Eni aluko is black, or is it because she is a woman, or would a complaint of similar force have got nowhere for a white male, if they were less important than Dan Ashworth's mate. I think at this stage it's pretty safe to conclude that the FA is clearly guilty of all three, and also guilty of a spectacularly incompetent cover-up. So.....I suppose you could stretch out your point further to say that the situation reflects two massive and appalling structural inequalities in society, one massive institutional culture problem, and a spectacular incompetence in covering it up. This isn't just a scandal, it's a textbook study in half the things that are wrong with UK society (and almost every other western society)

Fair dues do the FA. They've outdone themselves this time.
                                        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-10-2017, 18:45.

Comment

Twitter exchange

They are good people"

Gary Neville says under-fire FA bosses should stay & shake up the governing body after Aluko scandal.

Ian Wright: "Good people would never have let it get to this state ,and then embarrass themselves at the hearing."

" wish I could **** up to this magnitude and still keep my job ��"

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                            To be honest I am not sure what the relevance of her performances are here. All women footballers show glaring inadequacies with regards to ability, decision-making and basic technique. You would expect the top English goalscorer in the Premier league to at least be in the squad.
                                            This strikes me as being a bit like the Colin Kaepernik case. The American sports guy they have on Garcia's podcast is a Kaepernik fan as a player, person, and activist, and he was making the point that you could in all fairness make a reasonable case for why no team had signed him on football grounds. A certain number of teams just use a different type of quarter back, so that rules out a chunk of them, and there are other imperfections or quirks to his game that might not make you pick him etc, and after a while it almost sounds reasonable, right up until you remember that most starting quarter backs would fail such an exacting standards applied to them, and that it's insane that a 29 year old quarterback that lead his team to a superbowl final can't find employment at one of the 32 nfl clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              Twitter exchange

They are good people"

Gary Neville says under-fire FA bosses should stay & shake up the governing body after Aluko scandal.

Ian Wright: "Good people would never have let it get to this state ,and then embarrass themselves at the hearing."

" wish I could **** up to this magnitude and still keep my job ��"
                                              We live in fucked up times where more than once this season (even on MOTD) “Wrighty” has been the voice of reason.

Comment

On political issues Ian Wright has been very good, generally speaking.

The Labour Party has lost confidence in the FA

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                  In all fairness TG, it's actually difficult to tell what is the main thing here, or if there even is a main thing, and that it's all just various facets of a single gleaming shit diamond. This is a total abuse of power shitnado. Racism is clearly a big part, It's the most prominent part. Racism is what Mark Sampson said to what in hindsight was entirely the wrong person, but given that he was fired for an entirely different kind of inappropriate behaviour, that should have prevented him from being appointed, it could also be a woman thing. But the most striking thing about the FA's response, is the degree they are prepared to go to to protect one of their own, no matter what, against someone that they don't think important enough to fear, or take seriously. which in turn makes their claims to take racism or women remotely seriously absurd.

Is this because Eni aluko is black, or is it because she is a woman, or would a complaint of similar force have got nowhere for a white male, if they were less important than Dan Ashworth's mate. I think at this stage it's pretty safe to conclude that the FA is clearly guilty of all three, and also guilty of a spectacularly incompetent cover-up. So.....I suppose you could stretch out your point further to say that the situation reflects two massive and appalling structural inequalities in society, one massive institutional culture problem, and a spectacular incompetence in covering it up. This isn't just a scandal, it's a textbook study in half the things that are wrong with UK society (and almost every other western society)

Fair dues do the FA. They've outdone themselves this time.
                                                  With all the evidence which has come to life you are still asking if this is racism or sex ism?
                                                  Or do you need a picture of Sampson and the goalkeeping coach on Eni Aluko lawn with a burning cross?

Comment

I think it's clear to everyone with functional eyes and ears that Sampson's a racist bellend, TG.

I read berbaslug's post as being a query on how much of Sampson's racist bellend behaviour was exacerbated by how much of a misogynist bellend and power-mad bellend he is too.

And speaking of racist / misogynist bellends, maybe someone at the SFA will now take the hint that having Malky Mackay in the building at all - let alone as interim manager - is a fucking disgrace.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X