No announcement yet.

Eni Aluko, Mark Sampson and the FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, untenable as it should be for any of Glenn, Clarke, Ashworth or Brace to carry on, how many of them will go? The FA seem to still be hoping it will be zero and without continuing external pressure it will be.

Ian Wright has nailed the FA, not for the first time.

Comment

TG, there's definitely a giant bucket of racism in there. oh god there's racism. Racism is how Eniola Aluko dragged the FA into parliament. And by now we know that Sampson is involved heavily in all three aspects that I mentioned, but I was thinking more about all of the various different faultlines this exposes in the FA.

Not I would add that these things are unique to the UK. There's been an explosion in women's sports here over the last decade, but There's also a furore here that the job coaching the women's rugby team has gone to being part time, and a couple of months ago, every member of the women's football squad got together to hold a press conference where among other things that the have their own tracksuits, and not have to swap with the u-19 team in motorway service station toilets. Our direct provision system for asylum seekers is going to be the next thing we have a 10 year tribunal into, and everyone will be shocked that such a thing that happened under our noses. just like their parents were horrified and shocked that we ran sex prisons for poor children in plain sight. And as for going to great lengths to protect insiders at the expense of the general public....

Comment

Ian Wright has it in for the FA though. Probably something to do with them pressuring Graham taylor not to pick so many black players, when he was at his peak.

Comment

Everyone should have it in for the FA.

Stormzy's playing a blinder as well although, like the stereotypical high court judge, I don't know who he is.

Comment

He signed for Man Utd for £75m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...-romelu-lukaku

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
              All women footballers show glaring inadequacies with regards to ability, decision-making and basic technique.
              Umm.. Am I missing something?

Comment

Yeah I raised an eyebrow at that too.

Comment

I'd assumed it was a big 'look at me' stunt so decided not to respond. But yeah, that's just plain sexism, that is.

Comment

Greg Clarke now the subject of further allegations. But, of course, the FA is not institutionally racist.
                    https://www.theguardian.com/football...quality-claims

Comment

The FA's head of Women's Football Baroness Campbell says Glenn is doing a very, very good job and everyone should move on. She should anyway.

Comment

Well, this is part of the problem isn't it - they're all part of the same chummy club. Getting rid of Glenn doesn't change a thing because there are a hundred Glenn's ready to replace him. The whole culture is rotten and it should be ripped to shreds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                          I'd assumed it was a big 'look at me' stunt so decided not to respond. But yeah, that's just plain sexism, that is.
                          It's disgraceful misogyny. Coming a couple of days after the #metoo thread where a misjudged joke was (correctly) challenged by quite a number of posters, I'm astonished that a day later, hardly anyone seems bothered by the casual dismissal of every woman footballer as inadequate.

Are those sentiments* actually acceptable to other forum users? They aren't to me.

*Not Kevin's, TG's.
                          Last edited by ChrisJ; 21-10-2017, 19:21. Reason: Clarity

Comment

No. I didn't respond because I'd already had a row with someone being particularly bone headed. But I thought it was a ridiculously sexist thing to say.

I wish I'd commented earlier but also it is easier at the top of the pile on.

Comment

Not knowing much about the women's game or TG's previous comments on it, I wondered if he meant his remark relative to the male game. It is still a very generalising remark even in that context however. TG makes great pronouncements as if they are absolutes and I have always wondered if, like his username, that was part of his schtick that I did get. Obviously, a fair amount of the time, they are complete bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                Not knowing much about the women's game or TG's previous comments on it, I wondered if he meant his remark relative to the male game. It is still a very generalising remark even in that context however. TG makes great pronouncements as if they are absolutes and I have always wondered if, like his username, that was part of his schtick that I did get. Obviously, a fair amount of the time, they are complete bullshit.
                                Yeah, I get that. I still don't feel that "Oh it's just TG's bullshit" is any reason for people to be to happy to let it slide. This is why sexism persists and very little will be done.

I'm imagining the response to replacing the word women with African.

Comment

Seeing as it was aimed at me I should probably have responded. However it has become my policy simply not to engage with such comments when Women's sport is discussed. Their intent generally seems to be to derail the conversation, to prevent other people taking Women's sport seriously. Ignoring the trolls and just continuing to talk as if they hadn't spoken seems to annoy the trolls more than arguing with them.
                                  On looking back, that patently wasn't the case with TG. He meant it as some kind of defence of Aluko's abilities. I'm not entirely sure she would appreciate a man weighing in to defend her by saying Women Footballers are all crap but she should be picked as others are even worse than her, but there you go.

Comment

Sorry Janik, that doesn't fly. I understand about not feeding the trolls, but that's hardly a consistent policy here. And TG didn't mean it...? Really? I'm sure Bruno didn't mean it either. As I said, imagine replacing women with African; or footballers with lawyers.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, except possibly for TG to turn up and either defend his comment or apologise. It's so appallingly blatant, at first I thought I'd misread it, or that he'd simply missed out the word English, which would be entirely consistent with his worldview. But y'know, Freudian.

I'm just quite sad that something I've suspected for a while seems to be the case on OTF; it's not so important what's said as who says it.

Maybe I'll leave it now.

Comment

I don't think Tactical Genius gets a special pass. Maybe we were a bit slow to challenge but he's not come on to trot out excuses, which is still happening on the #MeToo thread with posts about how comedians are allowed to use offensive language in the interests of comedy. AFAIK he hasn't seen the response, or he has and he's loving the rise he's got out of people.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                        Yeah, I get that. I still don't feel that "Oh it's just TG's bullshit" is any reason for people to be to happy to let it slide. This is why sexism persists and very little will be done.

I'm imagining the response to replacing the word women with African.
                                        I think you may be confusing what I was saying with acceptance or approval (perhaps mainly because I wrote "that I did get" instead of "didn't".

I have never been one for anyone getting a free pass because of their schtick and certainly don't think it about TG.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                          And TG didn't mean it...? Really?
                                          I don't think TG's comment was an attempt to derail the discussion, something that often happens when people try and talk about Women's sport on the internet. That was what I was trying to say, following-on from my previous paragraph. Not that he didn't mean what he said when he dismissed all female Footballers as not very good. I'm sure that was exactly the message he intended.

Comment

We definitely should have responded more actively to the sexist trolling by TG and I'm glad we are now acknowledging that. It's because of those attitudes that the women's game still does not get equality of treatment, or anywhere near that. Silence can become complicity if we are not careful.

Comment

Perhaps people just ignore TG's posts. Certainly, I only skimmed over the post initially, thought he meant something a lot more benign and it was only when it was brought back up it really occurred to me what he wrote. Not an acceptable excuse on my part but slightly different from being complicit, I think. Perhaps not.

Comment

I did exactly the same thing. If he'd been a brand new poster, or someone with previous bad form, it would have stuck out more.

Comment

I take the point that's being made here - instances such as this need to be stamped out and criticised - but equally I share Janik's view that, more generally, you don't want proper discussion of women's sport constantly to be disrupted by having to squash the morons who want to derail or belittle it.

Comment

You can't squash them, either, however pithy your argument. It becomes a back-and-forth and then ends up in name-calling.
                                                    By engaging, the legitimacy of Women's sport becomes the topic of conversation, and that undermines Women's sport by making it seem like there is some kind of reasonable argument about whether people should be talking about it at all. That is what the haters are striving for when they question a newspaper reporting on a Women's sporting contest (typical comment 'why is there an article on this, when no-one cares?'), they are trying to supress people from engaging at all. The best way to stop such comments in the long run is to take their oxygen away, as always with trolls.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X