No announcement yet.

Jerry d. Lewis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids like John Hughes films, but comment on the language he was allowed to get away with in a PG film.

"Art Linkletter was right. Kids say the god-damnedest things." etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      My kids like John Hughes films, but comment on the language he was allowed to get away with in a PG film.

"Art Linkletter was right. Kids say the god-damnedest things." etc.
      That's why it's PG. You, as the parent, should be their to guide them and tell them that adults swear all the time and there's nothing really wrong with it. Just don't do it in front of old people or during job interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
        G-Man: Why is Adam Sandler "objectionable"? I can understand the adjective 'shite', but don't know of reasons for the other.
        Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        I assumed the one, erm, flows from the other.
        Yes. Though his record of shittiness is alleviated by a few brighter moments, as Hot Pepsi points out (I deny that "Happy Gillmore" was one of them, however).

Though Sandler is a registered Republican of the Giuliani stripe, and supporter of the crimes of the Israeli governments. So, fuck him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          That's why it's PG. You, as the parent, should be their to guide them and tell them that adults swear all the time and there's nothing really wrong with it. Just don't do it in front of old people or during job interviews.
          There's nothing really 'wrong' with it, other than it can sound needlessly aggressive when used too much in inappropriate situations. 'Keep your swear-count down and it retains far more impact', has always been my maxim.

I saw some terrible movie with Seth Rogen the other week (yeah, I know, more fool me) and, apart from having no discernible plot, every second word was 'f*** this/that/the other'. There was nothing edgy or groundbreaking about this - it just sounded pathetic.

Anyway, tangenting again...

Comment

Maron reposted his interview from last summer with Lewis. It's well worth a listen. Not the horrible, surly Lewis of that Hollywood Reporter interview that's making the rounds.

Comment

I know I am very late with this, but my thread title would have been Bury Lewis

Comment

I had no idea that Gary Lewis - of Gary Lewis and The Playboys - is his son. I'd imagine it was fairly well known at the time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  There's nothing really 'wrong' with it, other than it can sound needlessly aggressive when used too much in inappropriate situations. 'Keep your swear-count down and it retains far more impact', has always been my maxim.

I saw some terrible movie with Seth Rogen the other week (yeah, I know, more fool me) and, apart from having no discernible plot, every second word was 'f*** this/that/the other'. There was nothing edgy or groundbreaking about this - it just sounded pathetic.

Anyway, tangenting again...
                  Depends. Not sure which movie you're referring to.
                  Some people really talk like that. It's not supposed to be funny, necessarily. It's just their character.

Comment

Quite. And that's sort of Rogen's schtick. He's the lovable oaf/stoner guy who swears a lot. It's more effect.

Comment

Indeed some people do talk like that. I just think that if you use swears every second word, it either diminishes what you're saying, or, as I suggested earlier, sounds needlessly aggressive. ("What time will you be here?" vs "What f***ing time will you be here?", etc.)

I think the movie was Bad Neighbo(u)rs. I'm really not sure what possessed me to watch it, tbh - the torrent of swearing appeared to replace any genuinely humorous dialogue, as far as I could tell. I mean, it makes some kind of sense in Goodfellas, sure, but this was beyond witless. (It wouldn't have been much good with or without the language, though, if we're being honest.)

Comment

I had no idea that Gary Lewis - of Gary Lewis and The Playboys - is his son. I'd imagine it was fairly well known at the time, though.
                        Moderately, but not as generally known as Dino, Desi & Billy.

Comment

As I said to wingco, he was half of one of my favorite video mashups.

Weird career. I guess he came at a time with the repressed 1950s-early 60s, where someone slobbering and acting crazy must have been the most hilarious thing at the time. I mean it was either him or Bob Hope's detached one liners. Thus, teaming up with Dean Martin as the detached one liner machine for Jerry Lewis's zany antics. What came before him (Three Stooges, Marx Brothers) and after (Laugh-In, Mel Brooks, Archie Bunker, Richard Pryor) completely buried him, and he was huge at a very lame time for filmed comedy (right now at 9:30pm, I close my eyes, and only It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World comes to mind as the only still-brilliant comedy from that period.)

He stayed in the public eye with the Telethon, and that was the only reason we were still talking and laughing about the "ha ha, the French love him" aspect. He was already a long-running joke by then.

None of his movies showed on syndication (while I grew up with Godzilla and the Chow Brothers and Cheap B-movie Horror of WOR and WPIX,) none of his tv shows ever aired on Nick at Night or TV Land or anywhere growing up. He just kind of did the Telethon and we'd ask who he was, and that was it.

I guess if Adam Sandler did a telethon for the next 3 decades, it would pretty much be the same thing as he came in a lame period of filmed comedy. (That said, Happy Gilmore was one of the best times I've ever had in a theatre. Jam-packed house, and maybe 3 girls and 297 pimple-faced kids in Starter Jackets. Absolute idiocy.)

Comment

I close my eyes, and only It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World comes to mind as the only still-brilliant comedy from that period.)

I take your point but Some Like it Hot, Born Yesterday, The Seven Year Itch, Bus Stop, The Apartment all qualify as brilliant in my book. Also the Three Stooges were going strong well into the mid-60s, contemporary with JL rather than predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              Indeed some people do talk like that. I just think that if you use swears every second word, it either diminishes what you're saying, or, as I suggested earlier, sounds needlessly aggressive. ("What time will you be here?" vs "What f***ing time will you be here?", etc.)

I think the movie was Bad Neighbo(u)rs. I'm really not sure what possessed me to watch it, tbh - the torrent of swearing appeared to replace any genuinely humorous dialogue, as far as I could tell. I mean, it makes some kind of sense in Goodfellas, sure, but this was beyond witless. (It wouldn't have been much good with or without the language, though, if we're being honest.)
                              That's the fraternity one? I think the point of that was to show people in their 30s trying to pretend they can own a house and raid a kid and still act irresponsibly.

It's not a good movie but is redeemed a bit by this scene

https://youtu.be/J1wEoCLDl9Y

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                As I said to wingco, he was half of one of my favorite video mashups.

Weird career. I guess he came at a time with the repressed 1950s-early 60s, where someone slobbering and acting crazy must have been the most hilarious thing at the time. I mean it was either him or Bob Hope's detached one liners.
                                Imagine the only choice being Lee Evans or Jimmy Carr.

Comment

There's a Scottish actor with that name. (He was the dad in 'Billy Elliot').

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    That's the fraternity one? I think the point of that was to show people in their 30s trying to pretend they can own a house and raid a kid and still act irresponsibly.

It's not a good movie but is redeemed a bit by this scene

https://youtu.be/J1wEoCLDl9Y
                                    Yes, that's the one - neither big nor clever, in either concept or execution. (There was also the moral bankruptcy of a bunch of frats putting a six-month-old baby at risk - a fairly obvious elephant-in-the-room never at any point addressed...)

Comment

You're hard to please.

Comment

Sometimes, perhaps - but I have been known to do big, fat buffoonery on occasion. However, with the amount of money sunk into these kind of movies, I'd expect those involved to work a little harder than that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X