• Show
Clear All

Nice to See You, to See You....

Brucie has died.

Didn't he do well...

Comment

At the graveside: Lower! Lower!

Comment

Imagine the conveyor if he gets cremated.

Anyway, RIP Bruce. Good game, good game.

Comment

Oh man, I shouldn't have laughed at that vision, but...

At the risk of continuing to jam a different Brucie catchphrase into every single post, he was my favourite. What a career: over 70 years in entertainment, and generations after generations of fans. I grew up on his second iteration of The Generation Game, and to see him still presenting Strictly in his late 70s and 80s with the same effervescent showbiz sparkle was a joy. RIP.

Comment

The only part of Strictly that I ever watched was the first five minutes. I would shout 'Do your dance, Brucie, do your dance!' And then, after he'd done his little shoe shuffle I turned over. One of the greats. Sammy Davis Jr was a fan.

Comment

Very wrong of me, but I immediately thought 'that's one of my death pool'.

Good innings from a great presenter.

Comment

It's a massive cliché on here to say someone was part of your childhood but he really was.

Let's have a look at the old scoreboard: 89. Not bad, not bad. RIP

Comment

RIP to the man: an outstanding career in showbiz, whose longevity in entertainment (going hand in hand with his popularity) was something to behold. Sadly, I was never a fan, having found him a grating presence who wore a loud veneer of self-satisfaction that was rarely funny. Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but whatever charms and appeal he had didn't exactly work their magic on me. God rest him, though.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Ian, I'm afraid. My wife never watched Strictly in real time purely so she could fast forward through his interminable babbling.
                    It is a much improved programme without him.
                    Still, he was nothing if not persistent.

Comment

Some people just have a natural smoothness on TV, but Bruce also had the slow burns to camera and the ability to improvise, such as when introducing the competitors on The Generation Game. Bob Hope at his peak might be a parallel. His defection to ITV was a big loss because he had to front some froth that was vastly inferior to the GG and other stuff he could have done.

He was also far gentler on the (desperate to be on telly) competitors than the far nastier presenters who came along later like Barrymore.

Comment

He was the sort of presenter that you don't see anymore and, in the ever-atomising world of TV, probably will never see again. Arguably, the only ones that have any residual link to that genre are Ant and Dec and, much as I like them, that says a lot.

Comment

<off topic>

Bruce Forsythe once said to me, and I quote :

"Do you know, I think you're the most opinionated man I've ever met"

Comment

Did you try to tell him how he should be spelling his surname then Guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                              <off topic>

Are you sure he didn't say "I think you're the most opinionated man I've ever met. The most opinionated man I've ever met, I think you are."

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                Did you try to tell him how he should be spelling his surname then Guy?
                                He knew how to spell his surname

F-O-R-S-Y-T-H-E.

Like I said, "off topic".

Comment

You really should have "The most opinionated man I've ever met" - Bruce Forsythe as your personal text, Guy.

Comment

Was he famous in America? He was in an episode of Magnum, P.I., where he played a Game Show host & got kissed by Rick (& got indignant) when Rick won a prize. It was a Season 6 episode called "A Little Bit of Luck... a Little Bit of Grief" which was shown here in about 1988/9.

Comment

Absolutely not.

Fewer that 1% of Americans would have had any idea who he was

Comment

The Generation Game, along with Dr Who, watched after Grandstand or if it was home game after getting home, was one of the rituals of my childhood. It is also somewhat comforting that he seemed a decent enough man given that a few of the men from that era turned out to be such utter bastards.

Comment

His death was reported in the US so he was known by some. His act referenced US influences to a large extent, such as Sammy Davis Jr, and the dancing shows may have been watched by US tourists in London, say.

Comment

Aside from anything, the American and indeed global success of the Dancing With The Stars franchise might mean that he was worth a mention in American media, given that it's a rebranded Strictly and a Forsyth-less version of the original would arguably have made far less impact nor sparked a worldwide phenomenon.

Comment

I refer you to the perfunctory obituary in the New York Times.

Mr. Forsyth’s success in England did not translate to the United States. When he appeared on Broadway in a one-man show in 1979, Mel Gussow, reviewing it in The New York Times, dismissed him as a performer who would “do almost anything for a laugh.” He suggested that two hours of Mr. Forsyth was “a bit much by anyone’s standards.”

The show closed after five performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                                <off topic>

What happened? were you trying to tell him the rules of the Generation Game? Explaining the Virginia Water one way system?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  His death was reported in the US so he was known by some. His act referenced US influences to a large extent, such as Sammy Davis Jr, and the dancing shows may have been watched by US tourists in London, say.
                                                  It was? What exactly constitutes "being reported in the US" nowadays?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X