Club de Cuervos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club de Cuervos

Been trying to improve my Spanish since returning from Mexico recently, so I started watching Club de Cuervos on Netflix. It's set in a fictional Mexican city, Nuevo Toledo, and is about a brother and sister trying to manage a Liga MX soccer team, Cuervos FC, after their father's death. Pretty good and funny so far. English subtitles are available. I laughed out loud at this exchange between the club's sporting director and Chava, the superficial rich kid brother who becomes president of the club:

Giménez Cacho: “¿Cuál es el problema del futbol mexicano?”.
    Chava: “Que no hay glamour, que todos están bien feos, que el ‘Piojo’ sale en todos los comerciales… que no tenemos un David Beckham”

("What's the problem with Mexican football?"

"There's no glamour, all the players are ugly, El Piojo [Miguel Herrera] is in all the adverts, we don't have a David Beckham.")

Also a good scene where he asks why they don't have a star on their crest like all the other clubs.

Anybody else watching?

Yeah, I'm really primarily watching para practicar mi español, but it helps if the plot/acting/dialog are decent enough. I could see it petering out, as many series do, if the characters don't develop, but so far pretty funny, I'm finding. (And the fútbol setting helps.)

Comment

The first season, yes, but haven't made it to the second yet. It's good!

Although my Mexican friends tell me the actor playing Pablo Escobar does a terrible Colombian accent. Fortunately (?) my Spanish is not nearly good enough to detect that.

Comment

Apparently so! (Just checked Wikipedia.) Impressive that he's acting in a non-native language, but now I really wonder how weird he must sound to native Spanish speakers.

Comment

Renart!

Comment

Ha ha, yes, I'm back, Mr. Spoon!

Comment

Working...
            X