• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Paintings

Virgin of the Rocks - Leonardo da Vinci:

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/p...n-of-the-rocks

Comment

That's a lovely bit of Turner.

Meanwhile, we appear to have two threads.

Comment

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VcqAYAYBh0...s+painting.jpg

Comment

In May I had opportunity to visit the Prado and see one of the great paintings, Velasquez's "Las Meninas" close up. While it would be absurd to choose one all-time favourite painting, or even one all-time favourite painting from the Prado, seeing it live and close-up was like meeting an old hero.

Comment

One painter I always return to is William Adolphe Bouguereau. A print of his "Madonna of the Lillies" (1899) hangs in my office. And I love this , titled "Work Interrupted".

Comment

Comment

A definite preference for modern art for me. And Magritte in particular. So this:-

Comment

Comment

Comment

By coincidence I got to visit the newly refurbished national gallery of Ireland today, it's an amazing space well worth a visit, the centrepiece is "the marriage of strongbow and aoife " an enormous canvas detailing a key moment in the Norman conquest of Ireland, also HP, love that picture, it was Sam Malones favourite picture in Cheers as well

Comment

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/437749

Jan Steer's Merry Company on a Terrace. I can't claim that paintings are something that I've ever really been interested in, but this one caught my attention when wandering about the Met in New York this January. There's just so much going on in it. So many little stories.

It's the only painting that's ever made me want to explore this kind of art more. I'll head to London at some point and spend a day doing it.
                        Last edited by Corieltauvian; 15-08-2017, 17:13.

Comment

This version of Renoir's Two Girls at a Piano

Comment

Mine isn't one painting, it's a series. The Seagrams Murals by Rothko. I love going and sitting in the Rothko room some lunchtimes and just soaking in the atmosphere.

Comment

Toby, that's not the Kiss. Or is that the point?

Comment

I'm with Hobbes on the Seagram murals.

Then there is this nude by Richter in Cologne

Lake Keitele by Akseli Gallen-Kallela (National Gallery)

Oh there are too many. I could fill a thread with just paintings I love.

Comment

I did think it was suspiciously hi-def, but posted it anyway. The sentiment stands; seeing it "in the flesh" in a suitably darkened room at Belvedere was enough to raise goosebumps.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    One painter I always return to is William Adolphe Bouguereau. A print of his "Madonna of the Lillies" (1899) hangs in my office. And I love this , titled "Work Interrupted"
                                    Bouguereau's portraits make their subjects look more 'human', if you see what I mean, than just about any other painter I've come across. The one you posted here is a case in point G-Man – you feel like you could step out onto the street and run into her right now.
                                    It must be said, though, this "work" of hers that's been "interrupted" does unavoidably look like the practising of her slow left-arm spin.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      Mine isn't one painting, it's a series. The Seagrams Murals by Rothko. I love going and sitting in the Rothko room some lunchtimes and just soaking in the atmosphere.

Definitely one of those things that has to be experienced in situ.

Comment

Here's where I first saw the Turner posted by GO above ...

We called it Splodge, and thought that was funny. Sadly the game taught us how to cheat, but not how to appreciate art.

Comment

I think I played that!

My favourite is that dark one by Dali in the Art Gallery in Glasgow. Looking down on the guy on the cross, who is looking down at the world.

Comment

Or any of Stubbs' horsey ones.

Comment

Since I backed the wrong thread, here are mine again.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              Alfred Sisley - Flood at Port-Marly:

http://m.ranker.com/review/flood-at-...n&l=992330&g=5

George Clausen - Willow Tree Farm:

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/...8521944/page/1

I like almost everything by Sisley apart from his very late stuff. And I first saw Willow Tree Farm on a calendar. It's simultaneously evocative and melancholy. Something about the figure, the horse. I also love the way the trees are really moving in the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                Bouguereau's portraits make their subjects look more 'human', if you see what I mean, than just about any other painter I've come across. The one you posted here is a case in point G-Man – you feel like you could step out onto the street and run into her right now.
                                                It must be said, though, this "work" of hers that's been "interrupted" does unavoidably look like the practising of her slow left-arm spin.
                                                Ha ha ha. Yeah, she's not exactly slaving away in a Manchester cotton mill. You're right, Bouguereau's paintings are almost photographic. The details are sometimes quite astonishing.

Comment

Her feet are incredibly real.

However I would contest that her grip suggests a session of teasing swing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X