• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs the Beastie Boys taught us.

Lowrider - War

Gucci Time - Schooly D

Hey Pock-a-way - The Meters

The last one is a bit of a cheat. I got into the Meters through hearing "Cissy Strut" and then realised that "Hey Pock a way" was the sample for ""B-Boy Bouillabaisse"

Anyway, songs that you got into after hearing the Beastie Boys sample them.

I suppose we could widen to hip-hop in general.

Jeremy Steig's Howling For Judy, which the Messrs Beasties basically covered on "Sure Shot" (on Ill Communications).

Comment

Whatever the backing samples are on the Paul's Boutique track where they're kicking out the windows, high on cocaine. Stop that train is the track I think. Lovely stuff.

Comment

Oy, misread the OP. Abbey Road came after the Sounds of Science for me. Don't think I ever made the second side of my dad's Middle East cassette bootleg as a nipper. I blame I Want You.

Comment

Abbey Road?

Comment

The Sound of Science on Paul's Boutique is made up of Beatles samples from Sgt Pepper (When I'm 64 oompah backing, crowd noise as Ad-Rock affirms he is the Newest in New), drum break and guitars that then kick in are from the Medley on side two of Abbey Road, jam before The End, if I remember right.

Comment

Bloody hell, I thought I knew where most of the sample came from. It has been posted on here before but this site is brilliant

Comment

That site should carry a NSFW warning. Could get irredeemably lost in there.

Comment

Shheet. If it's gonna be that kinda party, I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    That site should carry a NSFW warning. Could get irredeemably lost in there.
                    Still trying to persuade DJ friends to put on a whole night playing the songs that all those samples come from. Could be a long night.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      Shheet. If it's gonna be that kinda party, I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.
                      http://dangerousminds.net/comments/f...ample_revealed

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                        The hot-water joke is very sound.

Comment

I couldn't quite hear it but it didn't sound very 21st century.

Comment

Oh, and Shadrach got me into Sly Stone beyond There's a Riot Goin' On. And the MCA bit on b-boy Bouillabaisse got me into 70s Isley Brothers. Who have the added advantage of not having the flowless bellows of MCA all over that crazy guitar sound (RIP, and seemed like a good man, but that voice, those meat and potatoes rhymes, not for me).
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-08-2017, 22:29.

Comment

Never took Sweet seriously until coming across this via the Paul's Boutique complete sources download available a few years back:

https://youtu.be/b4Jcil85zGo

Comment

And "Screaming at a Wall" by Minor Threat, which they would play live.
                                https://youtu.be/Yn-rPsg-31s

Comment

Every little sample on Hey Ladies is perfect but The Sweet bit of "She thinks she's the Passionate One!" is even better than perfect.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-08-2017, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                    I couldn't quite hear it but it didn't sound very 21st century.
                                    Not really, but it could still stand up because it's mocking his "I'm the man of the house" schtick.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                      Never took Sweet seriously until coming across this via the Paul's Boutique complete sources download available a few years back:

https://youtu.be/b4Jcil85zGo
                                      That song is just fuckin fantastic. Sweet, they're only the band AC/DC could have been. I'm seriously.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-09-2017, 01:18.

Comment

I only know the big Eagles songs that would be played over and over on classic rock radio, of which "Those Shoes" is not one. I always assumed that the drums and bass from the beginning of "High Plains Drifter" was from some early hip hop break, I had no idea that it was an Eagles song until a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Sweet, they're only the band AC/DC could have been.
                                          There's a version of Sweet playing near here in December. I'm half tempted but £25 for one original member does seem a bit steep. In a quirk of glam brickie scheduling, John Rossall's Glitter Band are playing the following night.

Comment

Bob's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues from Finger Lickin' Good.

Comment

Working...
                                            X