• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Fleet Foxes been mentioned yet?

Comment

I thought they pioneered "speed metal."

Comment

Mungo Jerry in the jug band category. I don't think Country Joe and the Fish charted in the UK.

Comment

In the summertime used to make me upset and almost physically unwell as a nipper. It's weird the way reactions to inoffensive fluff can be so visceral in children.

Comment

Also, Leo Sayer's horrible permy Pebble Mill face.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Mungo Jerry in the jug band category. I don't think Country Joe and the Fish charted in the UK.
              No, but Aussie jug band The Mixtures almost topped the UK charts at around the same time with The Pushbike Song. They'd previously covered In the Summertime and had aped the entire feel of Mungo Jerry's original for this single. As I'm sure one or two will vouch - many people still think that they're one and the same band.

Comment

I did at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  Have Fleet Foxes been mentioned yet?
                  Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  I thought they pioneered "speed metal."
                  I assume HP was attempting to respond to the Metallica mention just previously, but this juxtaposition is divine.

Great call though Sits on FF; I can't think of anyone else ploughing that furrow, let alone a chart-bothering act.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    No, but Aussie jug band The Mixtures almost topped the UK charts at around the same time with The Pushbike Song. They'd previously covered In the Summertime and had aped the entire feel of Mungo Jerry's original for this single. As I'm sure one or two will vouch - many people still think that they're one and the same band.
                    Also Seaside Shuffle by Jona Lewie under a pseudonym.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                      I assume HP was attempting to respond to the Metallica mention just previously, but this juxtaposition is divine.

Great call though Sits on FF; I can't think of anyone else ploughing that furrow, let alone a chart-bothering act.
                      That's why I just left it without clarification.

Comment

There are certainly other artists following a not-indistinct path from that of Fleet Foxes - but not with the same level of commercial success, no.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Also Seaside Shuffle by Jona Lewie under a pseudonym.
                        Terry Dactyl & The Dinosaurs.

It was a strange and eclectic era for the UK charts, so there are likely further examples.

Comment

Scatman John. Don't need to elaborate, do I?

Comment

Working...
                          X