No announcement yet.

Dave Cameron Must Go: West Indies in England, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't get a ticket for today however I thought I'd pop up to Edgbaston on the off chance this afternoon after a bit of book shopping in Birmingham. Got here about an hour ago and a kind west Indian fan was leaving (understandable really) and gave me her ticket. In the hollies stand. Hoping to see a finish tonight.

Comment

Fifth wicket just gone. 33 overs left to take 5 wickets to end it tonight.

Comment

I think eventually these tours should not be viable yet this was a Saturday sell-out so maybe they still make money, at least for now.

They will need to start all WI Tests on Fridays if they want a good chance of getting some Sunday play. Throw in a T20 on the Monday.

Comment

Did the day/night angle help sales for this one, I wonder? How the other two tests are selling might be informative.

Almost regretting my ticket for the ODI at The Oval, tbh.

Comment

Yorkshire said yesterday they've sold 85% of tickets for Friday, 88% for Saturday and 63% for Sunday. Sir Geoffrey remarked on TMS earlier that they'd have sold no further tickets as a result of this match.

Comment

Do the ECB still treat the West Indies as a premium price opponent compared with eg Bangladesh?

Comment

I'd be trying to get rid of my tickets.

Comment

First three days sold out at Lord's but not sure of the prices.

Comment

My Headingley ticket for Saturday cost £30 - we bought in January at early bird prices. It'd be £35 to buy today. Same price as the New Zealand / Sri Lanka Tests were the last couple of years and less than the provincial Tests against South Africa were selling for.

Comment

People seem to be buying "a nice day at the cricket" rather than competitive sport. Or a chance to see England in the flesh with your mates and a pint rather than see them tested by quality opposition.

A bit like going to an England v San Marino World Cup qualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        A bit like going to an England v San Marino World Cup qualifier
                        If England played SMR three times between September and November instead of alternating with Slovenia and Lithuania.

I was there yesterday. Sorry I didn't seek you out Jon, I suspect I didn't enjoy it as much as you did. I first watched Clive Lloyd and co in 1967 and this must be their weakest team since then.

Have we now reached the stage where, instead of a weak visiting side because all their top guys have gone freelance, the West Indies just don't have a strong pool of players. There was still discipline there, so they persevered after the top order were out rather than just slog into the river.

My ticket for the Thursday at Lord's was £65.

As SD suggests, it's a day out rather than a contest. Fine, but accept that soon only four teams will play test cricket. Like pre 1939 basically. West Indies as above and Sri Lanka have few good players, Pakistan no venues, New Zealand no spectators and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe no money. Freezing your nuts off in Dublin isn't going to save the format.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

Have we now reached the stage where, instead of a weak visiting side because all their top guys have gone freelance, the West Indies just don't have a strong pool of players.
                          There's a fair amount of wishful thinking in it but this article suggests not necessarily :

"But it isn't just two players that West Indies are missing, it's almost an entire team."

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-08-2017, 20:06.

Comment

Jarrod Kimber wrote a basically identical piece about Pakistan after the first game of the Champions Trophy.

Comment

About the poverty of their play, their missing players or both?

Comment

It was about the poverty of their play and the general lack of seeming to care. To Kimber's credit, he wrote a couple of pieces later praising them for completely turning that around.

Etienne is right in that part was quite similar (and there were also references to the weight of history).

But the missing player narrative really doesn't work for Pakistan.

Comment

Well, it did have a few references to players missing because of various allegations too.

I don't think he was wrong particularly in either case, but things can change pretty rapidly.

(It probably doesn't belong in this thread, but India's annihilation of Sri Lanka in an ODI yesterday fitted with the idea that the top of the game is becoming detached from the rest).

Comment

Yes, test attendances do hold up in this country and the "nice day out at the cricket" theory espoused by Satchmo is definitely true. I don't know how long this will carry on though. Look at this summer. Even this test series just passed, against South Africa, had very few competitive and absorbing days. As for the day night aspect of the last test match, it was a sell out for the first few days but then it nearly always at Edgbaston. I think it is the best attended venue for test matches outside of London. I think I did read an article recently saying that this match had attracted a higher amount of first-time attenders than would normally go to the Edgbaston test. But like I said, a sell out as normal. I would be interested in seeing how the TV figures for the day/night test did in comparison to the other test matches this summer. If they are significantly better then I can see Sky pushing for more day/night tests but if, as I suspect, they are more or less the same, then I can't see a great future for day/night tests here in England, just the odd one to practise for ones in upcoming tests abroad, as was largely the case with this one.

DG - yes, I share with you your sadness at the decline of the West Indies team. I have seen them once before, in the mid 2000s, also at Edgbaston. I was struck this time by the lack of West Indies fans around the ground compared to 13 years ago, certainly not in the Hollies stand where I was. Maybe there were more by you. Or maybe there were more in 2004 because it was Day 4 of the test and so it was only £20 to get in. As I said upthread, I got my ticket for free, off a kind middle-aged West Indian fan who had come up to Edgbaston for the day to support her team. By about 6 o'clock she had just had enough - of the cricket and of the antics in the Hollies stand - and so was happy enough to give me her ticket for the last few hours' play.

Comment

Back to the England selection dilemma, has Haseeb Hammed made any runs this summer yet? I'd still be inclined to take him to Australia. And I do feel a little sorry for Jennings as he was improving (albeit slowly) against a strong South African attack and he would surely have made hay against the West Indies (refuse to call them Windies).

Comment

Because it's been the T20 break, Hameed hasn't really had a chance to make any runs. Red ball cricket only returns at the end of the month.

Comment

Hameed scored 77 not at Hampshire at the start of the month. Lancashire still have five Championship games left before the season ends, starting next week against Warwickshire. Not sure when the Ashes party is being announced though.

Comment

I don't buy the "missing player" narrative for WI. Their best XI would be equally "don't give a fuck", even moreso. The game was dying there before 20/20 due to basketball, emigration and other drains, but T20 killed off any chance of a revival. Shit players today earn far more money than the greats of the 70s and 80s, who had to play in Lancashire League and work normal jobs in the winter (e.g. Michael Holding before Packer, and he still played Lancashire League later).

I agree with Kimber that Chanderpaul would still be their best batsman, at 43. Gayle IMHO was never much of a Test opener. Bravo hit and miss. For proof, look at career Test records in the last 15 years (or post-Lara) and apart from Chanderpaul, I don't think any WI batsman is anywhere near the top tier. Bowlers even less so.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-08-2017, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              The game was dying there before 20/20 due to basketball, emigration and other drains, but T20 killed off any chance of a revival
                                              While agreeing with much of your post above, isn't there an argument that 20/20 has 'saved' the game in the Caribbean? It offers scope for development and they're fairly good at it, for the moment.

Although a cricket fan for a lifetime as I mentioned, there's been only one season when I watched the county championship regularly, when Ambrose was at Northampton in the mid 90s. Why? The standard was/ is mediocre, the 'crowds' tiny and timings inconvenient. It could easily have 'died' along with the pensioner support base without the cross-subsidy from Sky etc. I mean, don't kids here as in Jamaica prefer to play basketball?

Comment

I'm not convinced by the Basketball bogeyman.

Other than Patrick Ewing (who moved to Massachusetts at 12) and Tim Duncan (from St Croix, anything but a cricket hotbed), the West Indies haven't produced players who approach the standard of the cricketers of the Golden Age. A better argument could be made for athletics and the general trend towards kids not playing sport during any free time they may have.

Comment

Confirmation of this has made me feel a bit better about my ticket for The Oval now :

Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels included in ODI squad

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    I'm not convinced by the Basketball bogeyman.

Other than Patrick Ewing (who moved to Massachusetts at 12) and Tim Duncan (from St Croix, anything but a cricket hotbed), the West Indies haven't produced players who approach the standard of the cricketers of the Golden Age. A better argument could be made for athletics and the general trend towards kids not playing sport during any free time they may have.
                                                    I don't know if it's still the case, but the West Indies were doing well at youth cricket a while back. The problem seemed to be not having the money to take the development on.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X