No announcement yet.

Dave Cameron Must Go: West Indies in England, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading the depressing comments about Stoneman on the BBC match report. It's his debut, for gods' sake, and he was out to a very good ball. You have to give players at least a bit of a chance. (Or alternatively bring in Hameed, as they should have done 2 months ago).

Comment

Never mind the pink ball, a Windies Test isn't the same without Tony Cozier.

Comment

True.

Anyway, looks like the West Indies have found out that getting rid of the rubbish batsmen just brings in the good ones...

Comment

Holding also thinks that the condition of the ball favours the batsmen from about the 20th over until the lights come on.

Comment

Let's hope they come on quick then.

Comment

Ton up for Root and 200-odd for 2 at 'tea'. Imagine how strong England would have been this summer if they hadn't insisted on just picking 8 players...
              Last edited by Janik; 17-08-2017, 17:50.

Comment

The repeated renditions of Don't Take Me Home are starting to get on my wick now.

Comment

348-3 at stumps. Probably not a good idea having a match that sounds like a complete yawn after dark. It will just encourage snoozing.

Comment

Well that was boring.

Not necessarily a fault of the day-night format, which I was excited about, but that was like a first class county against Oxford University or something, the gulf in quality. There was no need for England to take any risks as they were scoring regularly just by nurdling it around for two hours under the lights. Which is probably not what the ECB had in mind for this landmark Test

West Indies' so-called tactics unfathomable

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                      Having taken my eye off the ball for a few years, I discovered today that it's turned pink and will be bowled under floodlights. Has this been going on long?
                      Aus-NZ 2015. That was in Adelaide, where dusk is a much quicker affair than England. Mixed reviews from the players.

Comment

Have been watching on a dubious feed at cricfree.sc, which needed refreshing a few dozen times. Night cricket has become synonymous with doughty slogging, so it's odd to watch prodding and dabbing and proper technique under the floodlights. In between deliveries you can't help but read the chronically inane chat board that runs to the right of the screen. Jesus fucking Christ with his balls stapled to an oak tree - what consistent fuckwittery of the lowest order. "LOL Windies should be made to sleep on their coach tonight not in a hotel LOL." "Hahaha LOL good one LOL." "So sad about Barcelona. Stand strong families " Yes, that's what the bereaved will be doing tonight - scrolling the chat boards of illegal cricket feeds looking for emojis of comfort.

Comment

There must be a good chance that this will be finished before they get to the Sunday night (Day 4) session.

It seems odd that the Windies are touring after South Africa given that South Africa must be the bigger draw (certainly the only competitive one) and their games would have had better chances of staying interesting (although they were poorer than expected in reality, due partly to injuries and partly not being competent at batting second in these conditions).

Comment

I presumed the schedule of the tours was based around the ICC Champions Trophy, both how late in the summer they are and the fact that South Africa preceded the Windies because they were here for the tournament. When was the cut off for being in the top eight nations that decided who qualified the ICCCT and was it before England's summer schedule was finalised?
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-08-2017, 09:28.

Comment

Wiki says the cut off for the Champions Trophy was September 30th 2015. That would have been before the schedule for this summer was drawn up - it's normally released about a year in advance.

Forecast doesn't look great for today so that might lead us to some Sunday play.

Comment

Cricinfo has just alerted me to the rebranding of the West Indies team - they are now officially the Windies. I believe the term is FFS.

Comment

How long do England keep batting for?

Comment

"There must be a good chance that this will be finished before they get to the Sunday night (Day 4) session."

Yes. I have toyed with getting a ticket for tomorrow but it seems a bit of a procession, to be honest. Plus have just found it's a sell-out. Sunday is a possibility but I don't think I'll see a full day's play.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                      How long do England keep batting for?
                                      I was going to say until Malan gets his ton, but I see he went a few minutes ago for 65. Which is underwhelming in the circumstances. They will probably want at least 550, but with Stokes, Bairstow and Ali to come could get to that pretty sharpish.

Comment

Is anyone actually enjoying this? Surely even England supporters must find the one-sidedness dull and the further trashing of the Windies reputation depressing?

I'd been looking forward to hearing whole days' play by the pool on holiday but the processional nature of the match seems to have dulled even the TMS team and it's not diverting listening.

There's another two tests and almost six weeks of the tour left too. When does the Caribbean T20 finish? Can reinforcements be called up when it does?

Comment

Weather permitting, probably try and declare at tea and give them the twilight period. Hopefully they'll have enough runs in the bank by then to be in a position where they won't have to bat again.

This West Indies bowling attack is hopeless isn't it? Apart from Roach none of them would be selected by a decent county.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                            Cricinfo has just alerted me to the rebranding of the West Indies team - they are now officially the Windies. I believe the term is FFS.
                                            I keep misreading their name as Widnes.

Comment

Widnes might have given England more of a game

Comment

Great edition of View From The Boundary this lunchtime with Richard Osman as the guest. Also one of the few people likely to have filled that seat who could look Curtly Ambrose level in the eye: [URL]https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/898916770047815685/photo/1[/URL]

Comment

Bit of a collector's item. The follow on is being enforced.

This could finish today.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Widnes might have given England more of a game
                                                    Runcorn Highfield might have given England more of a game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989%E...andings.5B1.5D

And maybe Barrow too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X