Dave Cameron Must Go: West Indies in England, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Cameron Must Go: West Indies in England, 2017

Article in the Jamaica Observer regarding the lack of discipline and leadership from the WICB and the players. The tourists have managed a couple of short first class matches against Essex and Kent, and play Derbyshire in a one day match tomorrow.

England should be announcing the squad this afternoon, presumably with one eye on The Ashes. Suggestions that Hales could return and displace Malan at number 5, where he may fit better in the Test team. As to Cook's partner... we shall have to see.

Some England rookie gets some cheap runs, which put him on the plane to Australia, where he is immediately exposed as not Test class.

Comment

Yeah, that's definitely a fear for this series. Sticking with Jennings at #2 could pan out in the same way too - ends up posting decent scores against West Indies, it becomes impossible to drop him, and then he is duly destroyed at the Gabba.

Comment

I think it'll be Hameed.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
          I think it'll be Hameed.
          How can it be anyone else?

Comment

Derbyshire v West Indies is a three dayer, being played under the lights to give the tourists some experience of this before the day-night Test next week.

England should win the series 3-0, assuming the weather holds, could see them resting some of Anderson / Broad / Stokes for the final Test. The white ball stuff might be a bit more interesting, it's the Windies last chance to achieve automatic qualification for the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
              How can it be anyone else?
              Well, they could go with Stoneman, who has been in better form. Or recall Hales, who is in brilliant form.

Hameed surely will have a long England career, but will it benefit him to play when he's only had one good innings in red ball cricket this summer.

I think that picking him is the right choice, but it's not an easy choice.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                Derbyshire v West Indies is a three dayer, being played under the lights to give the tourists some experience of this before the day-night Test next week.
                Ah, thanks. Someone should fix the Wiki then! The first two county matches were both three days and drawn, so I did wonder about the sense of throwing in a random one day match.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                  Well, they could go with Stoneman, who has been in better form. Or recall Hales, who is in brilliant form.

Hameed surely will have a long England career, but will it benefit him to play when he's only had one good innings in red ball cricket this summer.

I think that picking him is the right choice, but it's not an easy choice.
                  Thanks for that Etienne.

So what's the thread title a reference too?

Comment

It's the conclusion of the article in the OP.
                    Last edited by Kevin S; 10-08-2017, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                      It's the conclusion of the article in the OP.
                      Ah. Thanks Kev.

Comment

Are the Windies likely to be more competitive in the one-dayers?

Pondering going to The Oval, I'd like to see a day of the Lord's test but don't want to see them getting knocked around the park.

Comment

Yes, but they are really only seriously competitive in T20 these days

Comment

I was quite surprised when I realised the West Indies were touring this summer - I'd assumed that the Champions Trophy had filled the normal early summer series gap in the schedule and that South Africa would be the only visitors. Obviously the ECB's accountants had other ideas. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time England have scheduled a home game on my birthday (4th ODI on September 27th).

Comment

I might rotate between Hameed (who I'm a big fan of and is the best long-term bet for the role) and Stoneman, who deserves a chance, for this series.

I'd also like to DENOUNCE the ECB for not scheduling a Test against West Indies at the Oval. It's now 13 years since they played a Test at a ground that was once their stronghold. I know it never will be again in the same way, but even so …

Comment

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...t-test-cricket

England squad: Joe Root (Yorkshire, captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire, wk), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Comment

So Mason Crane is the new number one spinner then.

This series is a hiding to nothing for all concerned really.

Comment

Playing international cricket in England on September 27th is just wrong.

Comment

Mason Crane sounds like the protagonist of a great American novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Playing international cricket in England on September 27th is just wrong.
                                        What makes it worse is that it's not even the last match - there's another on the 29th

Comment

That's a pretty rotten ball to get in the 3rd over of your first test.

Comment

Having taken my eye off the ball for a few years, I discovered today that it's turned pink and will be bowled under floodlights. Has this been going on long?

Comment

About half-an-hour, I think.

Comment

Not at all sure how that wasn't out on first call.

The maroon trim in the Windies vests is quite smart

Comment

dm, this is the first floodlight test in the UK, though there has been at least one before, when Windies played Pakistan.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X