No announcement yet.

Dave Cameron Must Go: West Indies in England, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it's all over. Well, that was disappointingly straightforward in the end.

Comment

Lovely tributes to the old thing at the end here, he's upstaged the test match

Comment

Glad to see the two new England lads get a score at the end.

Comment

Yes, it won't be enough to make them secure or stop the fretting in the media, but that was about as much as they could do in the circumstances.

On the subject of the media, it amuses me that on the one hand an average of 24 isn't enough for Tom Westley on the one hand yet, on the other, Shai Hope's now legendary average of 18 in his first 11 matches is proof that it can take a fair bit of time for a player to find his feet at international level. Granted, that's about as far as the comparison goes, there being some pretty significant differences in terms of their exposure to quality bowling at first class level and their respective techniques, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
            Broad played a great shot there. Backed away (totally in control, not like Jack Davenport facing my bowling) and hit a straight ball hard through extra cover.

He's a talented batsman. Shame really he comes in so low down. Reminds me of Darren Gough in that respect.
            Here's a blog post from King Cricket, on why Broad showing confidence, and no little unpredictability, with the bat is a great sight.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
              Yes, it won't be enough to make them secure or stop the fretting in the media, but that was about as much as they could do in the circumstances.

On the subject of the media, it amuses me that on the one hand an average of 24 isn't enough for Tom Westley on the one hand yet, on the other, Shai Hope's now legendary average of 18 in his first 11 matches is proof that it can take a fair bit of time for a player to find his feet at international level. Granted, that's about as far as the comparison goes, there being some pretty significant differences in terms of their exposure to quality bowling at first class level and their respective techniques, but still.
              The number of people expressing their certainty that Westley should not be in the Ashes squad - Warne has even chipped in alongside the BBC pundits - makes me warm to him more. Solid final innings in the face of the doubters and all that.

He's available for Essex tomorrow as the push for the Championship heads towards its conclusion (though Cook is not going to feature in the first of the final three games, and we don't know about the other two).

The Sky cricket pundits (which includes Warne) have suggested putting Westley on the plane. But no Hameed.
              https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/907144216043819008

Comment

Gayle and Lewis predictably carting England all over the place in an almost comical fashion in the T20 at Durham. 72-0 after 6 overs and the last 3 overs in particular have been boundary-fests.

Comment

Gayle almost as predictably run out ambling between the wickets on a single.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 16-09-2017, 18:01.

Comment

England have come back well since then. Hope the weather doesn't play a major role.

Comment

Seems there were some spectators injured at the Riverside.

Comment

TMS have got a new chap on who sounds confusingly like Stuart Maconie who is simultaneously on Radio 6. By a process of elimination I think his name must be Scott Read.

West Indies at 51/1 in the 8th over of the truncated 42. The wicket being Lewis caught streakily off a Moeen long hop. Root dropped Gayle in the first when he was on 0, he's now on 35.

Comment

Pretty much as I pressed send Root caught Gayle who was out for 37, 53/2 now.

I really must stop posting such updates, I've got Gayle out twice in four days now.

Comment

Don't feel too bad.

He does it to himself all the time.

Comment

Are WI going to make this ODI series competitive?

Comment

I didn't need to get Gayle out today, he withdrew at the last minute (Holder was literally rewriting the teamsheet as he walked out for the toss apparently) due to a hamstring injury.

Fair play, I try to make sure I get a day off on my birthday too.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Are WI going to make this ODI series competitive?
                                  Even less likely to now they can't qualify for the 2019 World Cup via it, surely?

Comment

Unbelievable hundred by Moeen Ali today. Watch the highlights if you didn't see it.

Comment

“Ali, boma ye!”

Comment

Could do with you jinxing Gayle now, Ray.

Comment

A novel twist on my Gayle curse today, I posted a photo on Facebook of him walking out ten feet away from my seat in the Bedser Stand and five minutes later he’s out for two.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-09-2017, 12:43.

Comment

Seems there were some spectators injured at the Riverside.
                                            Bloody hell, what's Ben Stokes done now???

Comment

Evin Lewis is going ballistic.

Comment

Sounds like we've had to break him to stop him...

Comment

That's a massive shame.

Still, I can't imagine Ray is too distraught at dismissing Gayle given what he's seen in the last few overs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                    Sounds like we've had to break him to stop him...
                                                    His injury, when his scoring was still accelerating, might have cost the Windies the match too.

Frustrating to have it decided in Duckworth-Lewis, though it looked as though Moeen could have powered England to the total if we’d had 50 overs.

Great day’s play though, glad West Indies have made it competitive at least.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X