Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wondered what that Xpert Eleven thing is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever wondered what that Xpert Eleven thing is?

Haven't you sometimes looked at that gargantuan Xpert 11 / X11 thread and wondered if you're missing out? Course you have. Read on.

Xpert Eleven is an online football manager game. You are given a team with a squad of players and you compete in a league with other OTFers, some are hardcore regulars, and some are occasional posters and some are just lurkers who don't really post on here at all and just enjoy the game. We don't mind really.

Just like in real football, you try to pick a team to beat your opponent whilst trying to nurture young talent and, with some training, squad alterations and accumulation of wealth, grow your squad of players into a successful winning team. You play in a league twice a week, and you get to choose the formation and style of play that you think best suits your team, and can buy and sell players in the transfer market and bring in new youth prospects.

It doesn't take a lot of time either. A couple of minutes a day will usually do just to check updates and set you team, though you may spend a bit more than that on the site if you want to find a new player or write a press release (which can earn you extra cash).

The game is easy to play, and the site is very simple to navigate. Also we are a welcoming bunch and are happy to help with any questions that might arise as you get used to the game play. Just try it for a season and see how you go, we won't mind if you decide that it isn't for you, though you might find it hopelessly addictive and end up running a massive private league like I and others have.

It doesn't have to cost you anything. The game is free to join, but you have the option of purchasing VIP membership if you want to take advantage of extra gizmos or increase your team portfolio.
    And joining is easy too. This is the league invite link. Just click on it, enter your details and the OTF League admin Etienne will set you up.

(Acknowledgement: Sean of the Shed, since most of the above is straight theft from an earlier post of his).

I wonder why Sits has started the recruitment drive? Winky thing.

If you only join the OTF league it really is only a few minutes twice a week.

Comment

For the greater good of course AE!

Comment

I think the noj household would be the keenest for some recruitment, as both Wednesday de la Zouch and Locomotiv Noj would miss out if we go down to 4 divisions of 10.

Comment

Bumpity Bump.

Comment

Today we are (mostly) congratulating Sean of the Shed, whose Dandy Town have claimed their umpteenth OTF League title. They were also described today as the Man Jnited of the league.

Surely you want to come and kick Sean's arse?

Comment

Is this not where we miss being in the 'Football' thread....? What about bumping 'Games' up the list of 'Sub-forums' to just below 'World'.....? Surely Xpert 11 is more important than 'Film, TV and Radio'.....?

Comment

Well, this is true...

Sits references a comment I made on the regular X11 thread – Dandy Town are indeed the Man United of the OTF league, I've long decided. Etienne's Amwythig Dragons are the Liverpool (umpteen titles of old, now finally knocked off their perch by Sean), and that would make Gawpus's Fourth Lanark the Chelsea since they muscled in in recent seasons with multiple titles – except they then followed Third Lanark into extinction.
                Jon's Steaua Bridge and Antepli Ejderha's Zeugmaspor are the Evertons and Nottingham Forests of this analogy, with a couple of titles each in simpler times now rather receding from living memory. It gets a bit more tenuous the further you stretch it, since Great Ouse Town (there or thereabouts for ages without any great momentum, prior to a sudden surge to two recent titles) are probably the nearest equivalent to Man City, only without the vast oil money.
                Hideous Towns 'Leicestered' their way to a recent title out of absolutely nowhere before promptly returning whence they came, though have spoiled the analogy somewhat by having another good season in the one just finished. (Maybe that's an indicator of Leicester's fortunes in the coming Premier League campaign...?)

I don't know what that makes my side Vita Mortis, who won our maiden title last season before falling nine minutes short this Thursday of successfully defending it. Hopefully we don't turn out to be Blackburn.

Comment

Well to continue your analogy, Berkshire Swine are Reading, appositely.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                    Well, this is true...

I don't know what that makes my side Vita Mortis, who won our maiden title last season before falling nine minutes short this Thursday of successfully defending it.
                    I saw that. It seemed painful. What kind of goal did you concede? I hope it wasn't a soft one.

Comment

It was a free-kick. Clas Åhlund had already missed one, amid five missed Hideous chances in total, so I was grimly certain he wouldn't miss another. I was right. And yes, it was painful.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      Well to continue your analogy, Berkshire Swine are Reading, appositely.
                      Cheer up mate: you might turn out to be, oh I don't know, Swansea.

Comment

Top-flight mid-table mediocrity who never won the title but finished in second place once. I guess that makes Nieuwegein Kneebiters the Southampton of OTF.

Comment

Ooh, good call. I think Hornville might be our Huddersfield – one title (rather than a hat-trick, admittedly) back in the early days of the league now lost in the deep mists of time, then the equivalent of lifetimes spent scuffing around in the lower divisions before finally returning to the big time.

Except they just got relegated again on the final day. Hope that isn't a forewarning for Huddersfield.

Comment

I think the monkeys are perhaps Stoke. Seem to have somehow become a fixture in the top flight but that's the absolute extent of their ambition.

Comment

Chelsea. Gah

Comment

Sorry Gawpus, nothing personal I assure you...

Just realised my "Nottingham Forest" analogy is flawed, as Forest famously 'only' won the league once yet the European Cup twice, uniquely. I could perhaps substitute Derby, which would really annoy Forest fans mind. Just as well Forest-supporting Harbinger of Hope (himself a two-time winner with AFC Purgatory) isn't still around, considering.

Comment

I think Fourth were compared to Arsenal last time we did this. With the obvious Arsenal/Fourth jokes thrown in, of course.

Comment

Wensleydale Blues resemble a steady, workmanlike Fourth Division team who blew their one chance in Division Three and came straight back down without so much as a whimper. Any suggestions?

Comment

Ah go on. Ah go on. Ah go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                        Ah go on. Ah go on. Ah go on.
                                        This. I'm particularly thinking about those OTFers who used to play, have stopped but just can't help coming back to peek at what's happening. Particularly when they ask about their old team(s).

No names, no pack drill. What does that mean?
                                        Last edited by Sits; 16-08-2017, 13:24.

Comment

Pack drill is presumably an army punishment where soldiers are forced to do drill whilst carrying their full pack on their back. A guess of the no names bit is, if soldiers can't be identified for an offence, they can't be order to perform pack drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                            Wensleydale Blues resemble a steady, workmanlike Fourth Division team who blew their one chance in Division Three and came straight back down without so much as a whimper. Any suggestions?
                                            Hmmm. Rochdale?

Comment

Unfair on Rochdale. After 40-odd years in the fourth tier they have transitioned pretty smoothly to the third and now seem established there.

As noted in another place (not realising the same discussion was happening here), Banik are either Sunderland or Villa. Just without the mostly century-old history of once being a colossus.
                                              Last edited by Janik; 16-08-2017, 18:40.

Comment

Last day for new or returning managers to make some of our existing managers very happy.

Comment

Working...
                                                X