Icarus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icarus

Bryan Fogel's astonishing documentary about Russian state-sanctioned doping is now up on Netflix.

***SPOILERS*** (though not necessarily, if you follow the news) Amateur cyclist and playwright Fogel sets out to make a film about how easy it is to cheat after finishing a legitimate 14th. in the Haute Route amateur cycle challenge in Switzerland. With the willing aid via Skype of the head of Russia's anti-doping agency, Grigory Rodchenkov, Fogel starts to inject himself, hoping to evade the system and finish higher than 14th in the following year's race, and then reveal all (would have been a good film, though not a sensational one). There's an easy-going relationship between the two men, accentuated when Rodchenkov comes out to California to visit Fogel and aid him in his quest. Then, with Rodchenkov back in Russia, the shit hits the fan as the doping scandals around Russian athletes are revealed. Rodchenkov is fired, Vitaly Mutko's scapegoat. With Fogel's help he flees to the US with his evidence, fearing for his life. Then he reveals all to the New York Times.

The Guardian gave it a miserly three stars, complaining that Rodchenkov's charm possibly hides a slippery side (that struck me as a critic looking for something to criticise that really isn't there - there are good reasons why Rodchenkov was cagey to start with given that the Russian anti-doping agency was in the hands of the FSB/ex-KGB), and that having Rodchenkov read passages from '1984' was overdoing things. Sean Ingle gave it a proper appraisal elsewhere on the site, though. I give it the full five stars, '1984' references and all.

And if one more person asks me, "Why are you boycotting the World Cup in Russia?", instead of thinking in my head, "For fuck's sake, have you been reading a fucking newspaper for the last 10 fucking years?" I can now just say, "Watch Icarus."
    Last edited by imp; 10-08-2017, 09:11.

I started watching this last night, and I went from "ho-hum, another personal journey based around doping in cycling" to "holy fuck, this has just got very, very interesting". I'm still 35 minutes off finishing it, so will be watching as soon as I get home from work. Rodchenkov is TV gold.

Comment

The man pulling the doping strings, Vitaly Mutko, is head of the Russian Football Union. He is all over the Icarus film like a virus, and probably arranged an assassination (Nikita Kamaev). That should be enough to strip Russia of the World Cup.

Rodchenkov becomes a sympathetic character because of how Fogel bonds with him, and genuinely fears for his life before he gets out of Russia, but I don't think his crimes are downplayed or that he is given absolution for them. I'm not sure he has true remorse or that the film claims he has remorse, which would be necessary for him to be seen as having wiped the slate clean.

Comment

Mutko is an utter disgrace even by Fifa standards, and has been for years - you're spot on that he alone should be reason enough to strip them of the tournament. Too late for that now, of course.

Also agree with your take on Rodchenkov. When he's showing how easy it was to beat the doping system, he's probably way too cheerful about it for many viewers, especially any fair competitors who lost out on a medal. But I still couldn't help but like the guy - the choice he was faced with was prison/mental asylum or secure job while working for the system. No wonder he was cheerfully cynical about the whole thing, it was probably a coping mechanism.

Comment

The Orwell passages are a mistake, I think, because Winston Smith was a resistor who became a conformer, but Rodchenkov's path starts with collusion and enablement, and he only jumps ship after knowledge of the doping program starts to leak.

Comment

Oscar-nominated in the category of Best Documentary.

Comment

And now, quite deservedly, Oscar winner.

Comment

Just finished this. Brilliant stuff and Rodchenkov is absolute charisma and charm.

I thought it was interesting how defensive WADA were about the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                X