No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, before ad hoc gave those answers, I knew off the top of my head of six teams who'd played in the 1990-91 comp - Marseille, Rangers, Red Star, Dynamo Dresden, Milan and Bayern Munich.

I can't even be sure if that was the year Rangers hammered a Maltese team in the prelims. Valetta/Hamrum Spartans?? (god - they all sound perverted on the George Cross island)

So unless Red Star is some horrific variant of the "brown star" colloquialism, I'm gonnae have to assume it was from the Netherlands. Feyenoord has certainly always sounded like something dirty (perhaps just to me) but I'll assume an Enschede is a Dutch term for something requiring a wet room for maximum enjoyment ...

It's the Soviets, isn't it. Amkar Perm.

Never knew what it meant - but guaranteed it's total Filth. An Amkar Perm right up the Kaliningrad, etc ...

Comment

"TSV 1860 ... Nein"?

Comment

Perhaps they have developed a variation of the Poznan in Transylvania?

Comment

Here you go, I'll put you out of your misery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Kuusysi

Comment

Suddenly, "Let's all do the Poznan" sounds more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Here you go, I'll put you out of your misery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Kuusysi
              Bloody hell! That name could have been another terrible pun yet I had no idea it actually meant 69.

Nicely done, ad hoc. I enjoyed that.

Comment

The BBC live coverage of the 1992 final:

(1) Apart from the fact it was at Wembley, how did anchor Des Lynam manage to shoe-horn in another reference to England's World Cup win in his introduction to the broadcast?

(2) Which non-sporting historical event, related to both clubs, did commentator Barry Davies cite as the teams came onto the pitch?

(3) Which world famous sports star - not a footballer - was shown, in close-up, among the crowd?

(4) Which regular BBC pundit of the future played in the match?

Comment

(2)must be related to Columbus

Comment

Gah I was busy working on my own Lokomotiv Schulfuk 'joke'

anyway on to the flux of 1991-92, the last European Cup, the first group phase and lots of other historic anomalies, such as....

1 which "country " was represented for the only time
                    2 which 2 participants represented three "countries" each, over the years
                    3 which participant was relegated in their domestic league

Comment

5) Which club side would end up with two managers and one director from the matchday squads?

Edit :number 5 for Alex's quiz

Comment

(5) Dundee

Comment

(2)must be related to Columbus
                          Correct. Born in Genoa, funded by Spain - discovered the new World 500 years previous.

God, Barry was just so urbane.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                            (5) Dundee
                            That might be correct I have no idea. I haven't checked whether there's more than one answer

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                              Gah I was busy working on my own Lokomotiv Schulfuk 'joke'

anyway on to the flux of 1991-92, the last European Cup, the first group phase and lots of other historic anomalies, such as....

1 which "country " was represented for the only time
                              2 which 2 participants represented three "countries" each, over the years
                              3 which participant was relegated in their domestic league
                              1 The CIS.

2 Red Star Belgrade, as holders, definitely in it - Yugoslavia, Serbia & Montenegro then Serbia. I'll guess Partizan Belgrade won the 1991 Yugoslav title and joined them.

3 Spartak Moscow. Guess.

Comment

The other one for 2 must be Dinamo Kyiv, the CIS representative

Comment

(4) Which regular BBC pundit of the future played in the match?
                                  Not au fait with most BBC pundits, but will have a stab at Michael Laudrup

Comment

I'll take Vialli

Comment

Yeh
                                      1 CIS
                                      2 Red Star, Dynamo Kiev
                                      3 is open, surprisingly they are far from the only EC participants to suffer relegation the same season, but the 91-2 version are a special case

Comment

Aha, Hansa Rostock? In the tournament as Champions of East Germany but also playing in a united Bundesliga

Comment

The other one for 2 must be Dinamo Kyiv, the CIS representative
                                          Christ! Yes. Managed to get CIS then, somehow .... Real joined-up thinking there, Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            I'll take Vialli
                                            Correct.

Comment

That might be correct I have no idea. I haven't checked whether there's more than one answer
                                              Ivano Bonetti played and his brother, Dario was on the bench - for Sampdoria - they were later the management team at Dundee and so deeply, darkly involved in the shenanigans there that I was guessing they'd ended up on the board too. Don't think they ever did tho.

So my next guess is Crystal Palace - I know Lombardo went there anyway. And then it's Chelsea - Vialli and half the world ended up there. And then it's Watford - Vialli and half of Italy. Then Swansea - Michael Laudrup's my starter. Southampton - Ronald Koeman ...

It's Man City isn't it.

Comment

It's Man City isn't it.
                                                Of course it is. Mancini and Guardiola were on the pitch. Begiristain on the bench

Comment

Guardiola, Mancini and Begiristain

Comment

Of course it is. Mancini and Guardiola were on the pitch. Begiristain on the bench
                                                    Tiki-taka-tastic.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X