No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derry City above is the first one. NI*champions in the 60s RoI champions 89 etc.

Last I looked USSR, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia were not current members of UEFA!

For a bonus there's (at least) one more club that has represented 2 current UEFA countries in European competition.....
    Last edited by seand; 09-02-2018, 14:00.

Comment

A team from Oradea in Romania who have gone by many different names won the Hungarian league in 44 (as NAC) and the Romanian league in 49 as ICO Oradea.

I don't think they've ever been involved in C1 though

Extended wiki article here which is worth reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club...ea?wprov=sfla1

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
        [*Just have to say for laverte's dad - "Putain de poteaux carrés!" ]
        Thank you for remembering! I got a message at the new year to say my dad was in great pain and doesn't have long to go. So I'm waiting for the bad news. This little shout out to him just temporarily brought him back to life for me. And that was a wonderful feeling, truly wonderful.

Now if you could bring Saint-Étienne back to life in time for their next games (OM and OL)...!

Comment

Swansea city played in Europe as wales' representative winning the Welsh cup and England's winning the league cup

Comment

Thought I was onto something with FC Vaduz, but they can't represent Switzerland in international competition - they qualify for the Europa League almost every year by winning the Liechtenstein Cup, so can only qualify for the Champions League by winning the Europa League.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
              Des Bremner But I wasn't getting there without the picture. Winner with Villa played against Leeds and Liverpool for Hibs presumably
              Correct. Hibees went out second round to Leeds in 1973-74 - pens in Embra after zero goals over both legs - and 2-3 on agg in first round to eventual winners Liverpool in 75-76.

Only game Desmond Bremner didn't start was the 1-0 win over Liverpool at Easter Road.

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post
                Thank you for remembering! I got a message at the new year to say my dad was in great pain and doesn't have long to go. So I'm waiting for the bad news. This little shout out to him just temporarily brought him back to life for me. And that was a wonderful feeling, truly wonderful.

Now if you could bring Saint-Étienne back to life in time for their next games (OM and OL)...!
                So sorry to hear that Laverte.

Think everyone on this page will be cheering ASSE from now on.

Our thoughts are with you and your father.
                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 09-02-2018, 23:41.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  Swansea city played in Europe as wales' representative winning the Welsh cup and England's winning the league cup
                  Swansea was the one I was thinking about alright.
                  Oradea came tantalisingly close to Euro qualification with a cup win in 56 but slipped away quickly after that. They may be the third of just three clubs to have won titles in 2 current UEFA countries, along with Derry City and the other one we're searching for. ...

Comment

Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 09-02-2018, 16:54. Reason: READ THE PREVIOUS PAGE!

Comment

seand, what’s your issue with Rapid?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        seand, what&#821 7;s your issue with Rapid?
                        gah apols UA I didn't spot your excellent spot at the bottom of the previous page. Rapid indeed.

Comment

Kein Problem

Comment

Whose shot?

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 11-02-2018, 12:44. Reason: CLUE: He's So Vain.

Comment

The only Puerto Rican to have won the European Cup

Comment

I had no idea about that, ursus.

Also a Rangers shareholder - but probably not the only one to have won it. I imagine Souness had a few.

Ibrox shares and European Cups.

Comment

1. Which Ballon D'Or winner coached a country in the 1974 World Cup qualifiers?

2. Zoff was also beaten by the goal that won the only Intercontinental Cup played in a single leg on European soil, the year Ajax pulled out. The film was thought lost but was obtained by Independiente supporters from RAI in 2009. Cracking goal by Bochini, which is described in Jonathan Wilson's book

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TNHyGVyqXI0

Comment

Videos of El Bocha? This is the one. Been watching this for years. One of the best things on YouTube.

Comment

1. Sivori Argentina?

Comment

Rangers were the first representatives from their country in EC1. FACT*

*although this bit of smartassery falls over if you insist on proper punctuation

Comment

... and Arsenal have never got past the early rounds of EC1, EC2 or EC3 ...

================================================== ================================================== =============================

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 21-05-2018, 19:28. Reason: Page 83

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                            1. Sivori Argentina?
                                            Yes, cribbed from Jonathan Wilson's book, although it does not explain why Sivori did not coach them in the finals.

Comment

As we're on page 83, who was the only player in the 1982-83 European Cup to score against a club from the country he played international football for? Excluding own goals (this kind of thing happens all the time nowadays but was unusual at the time )

Comment

Ziggy Boniek?

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                                  Ziggy Boniek?
                                                  Boniek played for Juve v Widzew but didn't score. Sometimes the answer is closer to home ...

Comment

It's going to be one of Liverpool's Irishmen, as they played Dundalk

Comment

Working...
                                                    X