No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I think they're always still a possibility for extraordinary circumstances, like that cited by Denis. And I do wish we still had them. But in terms of settling drawn ties they were first used instead of away goals and then they were used instead of penalties. And the transition was, I think, slightly staggered through the three different European club competitions.

Comment

What was significant about Károly Palotai refereeing the 1976 European Cup final, between Bayern and St Etienne at Hampden?

(And I'm not talking about the Gerd Muller goal wrongly disallowed).

Comment

He'd played in it?

Comment

Not in the final, but he had captained Vasas Gyor in a number of European Cup matches, including the 1964-65 semifinals against Benfica.

Comment

Yes. No. But yes. Yet no. I mean ... bloody hell.

That's what I love about this thread. I had absolutely no idea he'd played the game, even less idea he'd played to that level - and not a Scooby that he'd played in the European Cup to the semi-final stage.

I set the question for a completely different answer. But yours is a better one, gents. Brilliant.
            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 10-01-2018, 14:29. Reason: should really have bluffed my way out of that one ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
              What was significant about Károly Palotai refereeing the 1976 European Cup final, between Bayern and St Etienne at Hampden?

(And I'm not talking about the Gerd Muller goal wrongly disallowed).
              ... or the fact Palotai had played in the European Cup.

================================================== =====================================
              ================================================== =====================================

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-04-2018, 12:30. Reason: Page 66

Comment

First referee from a Warsaw Pact country to get the Final?

Comment

Christ, Alex ... YES! THAT TOO! (and nice distinction ursus - Milivoje Gugulović reffed the 73 final but, of course, Yugoslavia were Eastern Bloc, not Warsaw Pact)

Though - AGAIN - that's not the answer I was looking for.

Fuck it. Can anyone tell me something that wasn't significant about Károly Palotai refereeing the 1976 European Cup final ...

Comment

His name means "Charles from the Palace" if that's of any use

Comment

First Olympic gold medallist to ref the final?! It was the first of his complete collection of C1 C2 C3 finals?

Comment

Summer Olympics? Probably, Sean. But we all know Jack Taylor won the men's figure skating in Grenoble in 1968.

Now, ad hoc, that is the kind of stuff I just can't find on Wiki. And, again, far worthier than the actual answer I was looking for ...

Now that you've all fleshed him out I feel bad for trying to reduce Chuck - also, of course, the first Hungarian to ref the final (might as well say it afore anyone else does) - to a mere stat. Well, more of a harbinger of change ...

Comment

we all know Jack Taylor won the men's figure skating in Grenoble in 1968.
                          Knowing that bastard, he probably cheated...

Comment

Leo Horn of the Netherlands (1958 and 1962 finals) was a black belt in judo. Don't know if he took it to Olympic standards but ...

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                              It was the first of his complete collection of C1 C2 C3 finals?
                              No but he did ref all three.

Italy's Concetto Lo Bello (who oversaw British teams losing all three and another winning the big yin) did it before him: 1966 Fairs Cup final second leg - Real Zaragoza v Barca; 1967 CWC final - Bayern v Rangers; 1968 European Cup final - Man U v Benfica.

Also did Feyenoord v Celtic in the 1970 ECCC final. The second, Rotterdam leg of Feyenoord v Spurs in the 1974 UEFA Cup final was Lo Bello's last European final. Following season's first leg was Palotai's first ...
                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 10-01-2018, 18:06. Reason: Feyenoord obviously paid the best money ...

Comment

Leo Horn of the Netherlands (1958 and 1962 finals) was a black belt in judo. Don't know if he took it to Olympic standards but ...
                                In 1962 he also refereed the playoff that decided the Copa Libretadores final.

Comment

So I saw, Zeb. I also liked the bit about ... no - wait - let's put it out as a question and trust no-one to look it up on Wiki:

In the 1962 European Cup final, why did Leo Horn not send off Ferenc Puskas when the Real Madrid striker (in the course of establishing everyone's go-to European Cup trivia question - first half hat-trick for the losing side) threw an object into the crowd?

Not a trick question. The object was not a bunch of flowers, scarf, jersey, etc. It was missile potential.

Comment

Apart from all the other stuff revealed on this page of this thread, 1976 marked the moment the final was no longer automatically awarded to a referee from the host country (as long as a team from that host country wasn't contesting the final).

There had been a tiny hiatus from this policy. Rudolf Kreitlein of West Germany (who would send off Argentina's Antonio Rattin at Wembley a couple of months later) got the 1966 final between Real Madrid and Partizan Belgrade in Brussels, and his compatriot Kurt Tschenscher got Celtic v Inter in Lisbon the following year. I've no idea why.

Other than that, it was 1976 before UEFA started going for the best rather than the local. Something which may have been prompted by what happened in the previous year's final.

But Scotland suffered first. Just like the poll tax.
                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 10-01-2018, 21:55. Reason: maybe German refs just became really trendy in the mid-late sixties, like Cream.

Comment

As we're on pages 66-67, a question about Britain's first European Champions:

Today, of all the clubs ever to have reached the European Cup/Champions League final, what is unique about Celtic's path/route/run to Lisbon in 1967?

Comment

Complete and utter 100% stab in the dark: the only winners never to have worn a change strip during their run?

Comment

They had a fairly innocuous run to the final Dukla Zurich etc. Could be the only winners to make the final without playing another club with a final appearance?

Comment

You'll need to be more specific Sean - especially about "innocuous", which I'm just not having. It was epic.

They wore all-green in the quarter-final, 3 Colours Red ...

... but you've set up another good question there. Real Madrid must surely have got through one of their early final appearances without having to divert from the all-white?

Comment

Celtic were unbeaten away from home, and I think they came from behind a few times to win or draw games. But I think I recall Forest doing the same in 1979, winning away in the semi. Another aspect might be the number of players who got on the scoresheet. Everyone grew up within a 30 mile radius of the home ground - unique or no? Not sure if all were Catholic (IIRC Celtic were less stringent on religion than Rangers).

Aside: Archie MacP, speaking about Hampden, says the best team lost in 1976, and 2002 was crap apart from the Zidane goal.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-01-2018, 01:31.

Comment

Yeah I think they were definitely the most local of the few one-nation sides to win it.

But seand came closest to the answer I was looking for:

Celtic 1967 aren't just the only winner but the only side to have ever reached the European Cup/Champions League final without playing a club that's reached any of the three European finals before or since.

Beating the champs of Switzerland, France, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia was major - phenomenal achievement - but none of FC Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina Novi Sad or Dukla Prague ever had or ever have reached the final of the Fairs/UEFA Cup/Europa League, Cup-Winners' Cup nor European Cup/Champions League.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Aside: Archie MacP, speaking about Hampden, says the best team lost in 1976, and 2002 was crap apart from the Zidane goal.
                                                  What did he say about 1960?

Comment

Archie MacP:

"It was like going to the theatre and seeing the best of the Broadway or London stage shows. You were enthralled by it.

"But for sheer drama you had to go to the Old Firm.

"I well remember Celtic's European Cup match against Vojvodina on March 8, 1967, when they were within an ace of going to Rotterdam for a replay."

Jock Stein's men had lost 1-0 in Yugoslavia in the first leg of their quarter final. They had pulled a goal back through Stevie Chalmers in the second leg in Glasgow, but they needed to win.

"Stein later told me he had turned to his assistant, Sean Fallon, that night and said, Oh for God's sake, it looks like we're going to Rotterdam.' "Then Billy McNeill scored a winner in the last seconds, and the place erupted. You couldn't forget that game for its tension, the drama and the climax."
                                                    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1...cord_breakers/

Alex Ferguson always rates 1960 as the pinnacle.

On 1967, I wonder also if any team has won it since without having to play any club from Germany, Italy, England, Portugal or Spain?
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-01-2018, 18:38.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X