European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
    And what an "impact" Yorath made in 75. I was yakking earlier about Paolo Montero having "earned the right" throughout his career to be the first red card in the European Cup final but Terry's is possibly the worst tackle ever in a European Cup/Champions League final. Certainly the worst results from a tackle were endured by Björn Andersson. There's close-up footage which turns the stomach - this version contains only the PG camera angles:

Blimey, I think I heard the German's leg break as Yorath puts in that tackle.

Comment

John Terry is the only Englishman to miss in a penalty shootout in the final.

(Nicol, Riise, Mata and Anelka also missed for English clubs)

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
        Blimey, I think I heard the German's leg break as Yorath puts in that tackle.
        It's brutal, johnr, isn't it. Leeds certainly have plenty of legitimate complaints about how that game was refereed but that was one moment where the poor officiating went the way of Jimmy Armfield's men (I've said that on purpose. Fishing.)

As this thread is a bacchanalian orgy of pedantry I'll release my not-very-inner inner wanker to say Bjorn Andersson, Yorath's victim, is actually Swedish.

That moment apparently ruined his Bayern career - I haven't seen Uli Hesse's book on Bayern yet (maybe that deals with the incident in more detail) but according to Wiki he was there for a couple more years but featured infrequently.

So there was a bit of catharsis-by-nationality (a concept I've just made up which will have been of zero consolation to Bjorn) when another Swedish international Andersson, Patrik, won the Bundesliga for Bayern with his famous Schalke-shafting last kick of the season at HSV in 2001 and...

... a few days later he missed a penalty in the San Siro shootout against Valencia (something few Englishmen do) but completed the 120 minutes relatively unscathed as Bayern again won the European Cup.
        Last edited by Alex Anderson; 17-08-2017, 09:39. Reason: Don't get them started on the CWC final two years earlier ...

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
          John Terry is the only Englishman to miss in a penalty shootout in the final.

(Nicol, Riise, Mata and Anelka also missed for English clubs)
          Good stat. That's one out of nine (plus Ronaldo missed for Man U in Moscow - see previous post re pedantry bacchanal)

FINAL PENALTIES - with the emphasis on shootouts:

Seven Englishmen have taken a total of nine shoot-out spot kicks in the European Cup/Champions League final. Interesting when three English clubs - Chelsea and Liverpool twice each - have taken part in them.

Phil Neal and Alan Kennedy in 1984; Carrick and Hargreaves for Man U in 2008 and - other than Terry - Lampard and Ashley Cole in the same game, and again in 2012.

Neither Chris Waddle nor Owen Hargreaves took one for Marseille in 91 and Bayern ten years later.

Amazingly, every Liverpool pen-taker v Milan in 2005 was non-British, while in 1984 v Roma, they had two Englishmen, two Scots and Rush the Welshman. They finished the game with three Republic of Eire internationals on the pitch too.

"Did you hear about the Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman and Zimbabwean who won a European cup final penalty shootout?" just doesn't have the same impact.

What I like is that Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole have done it twice each. Must be the only men to score two shootout penalties in the final of the European Cup/Champions League.*

Phil Neal has converted an "in play" and shootout pen in two different ECC/UCL finals - off the top of my head I can only think of Ronaldo as having matched that (Neal's were at different ends of the same ground, 7 years apart). Stefan Effenberg and Gaizka Mendieta both did it in the 2001 final.

Honourable menchs for Lampard and Drogba scoring shootout pens after scoring their side's only "in-game" goal of the final - not from pens though.

Ronald Koeman might be the only player to convert a direct extra-time free kick and a shootout penalty (for Barca in 92 and PSV in 88 respectively) in two different, winning finals. (Juliano Belleti did score a normal time winner for Barca in 2006 then a shootout pen for losing Chelsea in 2008)

Cole and Lamps have the best record for me - scoring two shootout pens each. But Ronaldo has to go and steal the limelight any way he can: Having also missed for Man U the 2008 shootout (and remember his tears of relief in Moscow counted for more than Terry's tears of pain or his team-mates tears of joy!), Ronaldo is the only man to have missed and converted shootout penalties AND scored an in-play pen in the final. In three different finals too.

My unbiased conclusion is that Barcelona would have won the 1986 European Cup if they hadn't subbed Stevie Archibald in extra time. Steaua's legendary Helmut Ducadam saved everything else from the spot - but few things stop a Scotsman chasing a win bonus.

*AMAZINGLY: Serginho and Shevchenko took the first and fifth penalties for Milan in the 2003 and 2005 final shootouts. They both converted in 2003 and both missed in 2005, ensuring Shevchenko's was the last kick in each final.

I'll never forget the look of belief and determination in Shevchenko's face in 2003 as he placed the ball. The only player I've ever been more convinced was going to score was Portugal keeper Ricardo in that Euro 2004 shootout v England. You could feel the conviction and confidence across the telly. So when Sheva stepped up again in 2005, wearing the same strip, in the same final, you were analysing his demeanour under laboratory test conditions - and the difference between his Istanbul 2005 face and the Old Trafford 2003 sample were startling: never been more convinced a guy was going to miss a penalty.
          Last edited by Alex Anderson; 17-08-2017, 10:27. Reason: Stevie Nicol only Scot to miss ANY penalty in the final. Souness the only to score - Jim Craig & Gary Gillespie to concede

Comment

Maldini's span of appearances is 6.9.88 to 4.3.2008. Two days short of 19.5 years. Is any other player close to that?

Comment

Gianluigi Buffon. Debuted on 17 September 1997 for Parma at Sparta Prague. Kept clean sheet. Last appearance so far on 3 June 2017 for Juventus versus Barcelona. Didn't exactly keep a clean sheet. He's past the 19.5 years already, and is expected to break the 20 year barrier this group stage.

edit: if qualifying matches count too, then Buffon's debut was on 13 August 1997, at Widzew Łódź. He didn't keep a clean sheet.
              Last edited by Wouter D; 17-08-2017, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Maldini's span of appearances is 6.9.88 to 4.3.2008. Two days short of 19.5 years. Is any other player close to that?
                Wouter D's answered your question there, Satchmo but what I love most about the new tennis pro Paolo Maldini, as I move into my dottage and he's forever one year older than me, is that he's the oldest player to score in the European Cup/UCL final - but it was the fastest goal ever scored in the final.

Thirty Six years and 333 days old - bangs one in after 50 seconds: Talk about Early Bird Specials...

Then, after setting that oldster record, he wins his fifth European Cup/UCL ...TWO YEARS LATER. Oldest winning captain ever.

Gento, joint record-holder with Maldini for player with most appearances in the final (eight), is the only man to beat him for total no. of European Cup winner's medals (six) and the two of them, as far as I'm concerned, played respectively in the most sensationally majestic wins in the final - Hampden 1960 and Athens 1994 - and lost in the two most coruscatingly, memorably exciting finals- 1962 and 2005.

But I don't know if Gento ever played out of position in the final with the same sprezzatura Maldini did in 94. The man modelled for Versace but that performance is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen.

They both won the final twice at the same venue - Athens for Maldini, Heysel for Gento - and both lost a final at the Prater/Ernst Happel in Vienna (where Maldini also won one).

They both played all their winning finals in all-white, one of their losing finals not in all-white.

I met Paco Gento outside Glasgow city chambers the same day I accosted Gerd Mueller - the only time I've ever autograph-hunted or tried to meet a player or ex-player simply for the sake of meeting them in my entire life. Lovely bloke. Got his autograph, across an old postcard of the Hampden 1960 side which remains on my wall, and shook his hand.

Maldini? On my only ever visit to the San Siro, he scored Milan's goal against Inter. Another privilege.

Di Stefano, Puskas, Ronaldo and Messi - synonymous with the competition but, Mulholland Drive-style, these are the boys:

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-08-2017, 10:35. Reason: In Istanbul Maldini was like my Nana, at the door demanding the orders for our next 3 meals before we'd got down her path...

Comment

Since two Madridistas were in the team that won in 1957 only 4 players have won the European Cup in their home city... no googling
                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-08-2017, 18:18.

Comment

Like it, Rogin: So, just to expose my lack of un-googled knowledge - and at the risk of insulting the shit out a whole lot of Welsh and French folk - I'd go Bale and Anelka.

Comment

I googled it. Anelka is ropey - "16.7KM from centre of Paris" - but a darned good guess.

Went straight for Wiki on the next most obvious team after Real 57 and have one definite.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Since two Madridistas were in team that won in 1957 only 4 players have won the European Cup in their home city... no googling
                        Cor Blimey! Would you Adam and Eve it?! I've only gahn and missed out DICK VAN DIJK - scoring AND winning it with Ajax in Aaahld Laaahndaaahn Taaaaahn in 1971.
                        Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-08-2017, 12:19. Reason: Bale, Anelka (ish), Fachetti

Comment

I would count Anelka.

If one doesn't count guys from the banlieues, there will be very few "Parisian" footballers born since WWII

Comment

One of them IS a (genuine) Londoner.

Comment

Rogin. I have Bale, Anelka and Milan-born Giacainto Fachetti from Inter winning it at the San Siro in 65. Before I go through the Wiki bio of every player from Milan 63, Man U 68, Ajax 71, Liverpool 77, Barca 92 & 2011 and Bayern 2013, this had better not be one of those ones where " While Clemence was raised in Skegness, where his parents lived all their lives, on a visit to her Great Aunt Ray in Walthamstow the 8 months-pregnant Mrs Clemence suddenly felt ..."
                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-08-2017, 14:38. Reason: because if there's one thing I HATE, it's wasting my time on European Cup trivia ...

Comment

Fachetti wasn't born in Milano. He was born in Treviglio, which is in the province of Bergamo, and about 40 km from Milano.

Two small clubs from the town were also the only clubs he played for other than Inter.
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 18-08-2017, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Fachetti wasn't born in Milano. He was born in Treviglio, which is in the province of Bergamo, and about 40 km from Milano.

Two small clubs from the town were also the only clubs h played for other than Inter.
                                  Ach that's what I get for checking it on Wiki. Particularly unforgiveable as I've stayed a night or two at the feet of the Alpi Orobie .

But he did switch to left back when Warren Beatty took his place on the right, yeah ...?

Comment

Fachetti did die in Milano, which gives rise to a whole different question.

Comment

No. Please. It's Friday ...

Comment

No, genuine Londoner. And there's a big clue in his surname.

Comment

And the other was the only Roman in a team that won in Rome.

Comment

Angelo Di Livio ...ffs ... and I refer you back to my previous statement re Dick Van Dijk ....

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                              No, genuine Londoner. And there's a big clue in his surname.
                                              You're not trying to sell me on Bobby Charlton Athletic here are ye ...

Comment

Alex Stepney, Alex

Comment

EDIT: UA got there seconds before me.

Comment

Ah. I think the "Surrey" bit confused me even when I was cheating on Wiki.

But, like, obviously I just really didn't know that. Nice one, Rogin. Will post this in on page 7 of this thread as if I thought it up myself.

But, ursus - are we having Anelka too, in 2000 (Mitcham is 5.1 miles closer to London city centre than Le Chesnay is to Paris city centre)?

And Di Livio.

And Bale.

And Munoz and Mateos.

With Stepney that makes SIX players to have won the European Cup/Champions League final in their home town.

But some of those places I think are wee towns are actually suburbs of them big foreign cities?!
                                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-08-2017, 16:00. Reason: My geography might improve after I learn to read.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X