X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one, Kev. And Chelski.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
      ...The entry of Saarbrucken (Saar/GER) was a special case (and one of our never-champions)
      ... Gwardia (POL) Never-champs ...

To answer Alex’s stream of consciousness musings on potential European Cup era never-champions, there was no Vaduz and no San Marino ‘champions’. No former Soviet/Yugoslav states nominating non-champions.
      Cheers, seand. So are still more than two never-champions to have competed in the original format European Cup?

I'm done then. Chapping.

Originally posted by seand View Post
      And by my calculation we still have 11 Champions League era never-champs to find:
      Spain (Mallorca, Villarreal, Osasuna, Malaga) + 1
      CRO x1
      POR (Boavista, Vitoria) +2
      NOR x1
      CZE x2
      UKR (Metalist) + 1
      RUS x2
      AUT x1
      Problem with this aspect of the question is it lets ignoramuses like myself think we have a chance. But when I almost typed "Lynn Oslo, Viking Stavanger and Odd Grenland" for Norway I realised I was just randomly guessing, and no doubt misspelling, names of Norwegian football teams. Absolutely no real clue.

So here are my not-looked-it-up-on-wiki-or-owt-else guesses.

Only one I'm certain has played in the Champions League is Celta Vigo. Only ones I'm sure have never been national champions are Maritimo and Braga coz it's only the big three, Belenenses and Boavista have ever won the Portugese league (we wannabe anoraks learn that like "i before e except after c").

Some of these guesses - if my almost phonetic spelling can even communicate which club I'm referring to - might not even be from the countries cited.

Spain: Celta Vigo
      CRO: Riejka
      POR: Braga and Maritimo
      NOR: Molde
      CZE: Bohemians Praha and Viktoria Zizkov
      UKR: That Zorya Luhansk mob who have a badge which looks like a flattened-out Tunnocks Tea Cake wrapper.
      RUS: Alania Vladikavkaz and Krasnodar.
      AUT: FK/FC Graz (i.e, Not Sturm Graz - the other one)
      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 13-12-2017, 13:08. Reason: In Portugal they say "'B' clubs times three; a 'P', Sport clube dee"

Comment

HNK Rijeka are reigning Croatian champions, their first ever league title, but they had two seasons in the CWC from 1978-80 as a result of winning and retaining the Yugoslav FA Cup. Played Wrexham in one of those years, as I think was mentioned when we discussed the CL qualifiers in July.

EDIT: However, they played in the qualifiers as non-champions in 1999-2000. Molde did so in the same season, not winning the Norwegian championship until 2011.

I'm not sure why it took more than a decade for these sides to progress from domestic runners up to champions.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-12-2017, 14:30.

Comment

Sack their boards!

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ==========================

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-04-2018, 11:15. Reason: It's page 58.

Comment

Fair play Alex, you've struck with the insouciant certainty of a club darts player nailing 180s after a skinful of pints. Celta (never champs) TICK. Braga (never champs) TICK. Rijeka (CL 99, league title 2017) TICK. Grazer AK (CL 02-3, title 03-4) TICK.

The rest of the carpet bombing was a little less successful however.

Comment

Aye, ye cannae teach yer aul da anything about guessing from the oche. Keep yer TICKS - I'll take four times "GER-rinthere!"

Wiz sure about Celta and Braga but stunned to be right about Grazer AK (and yer being generous there seany, as I couldn't remember their actual name) if I hadn't seen them at Ibrox in the UEFA Cup.

But I will retire now. Plzen. I resent the carpet bombing implication. Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk. I felt it more of a targeted, near forensic assault. Sigma Olomuc. A gentleman like myself - Torpedo Moscow - would never dilute the glory of playing the game - Lynn Oslo - by loading the dice unfairly. Banik Ostrava. So I'll go now. Chernomorets.

All the best.

Guimaraes.

Lots of love.

Lokomotiv Moscow.

Goodnight.

Odd Grenland.

God Bless.

AMKAR FUCKING PERM!!!

Rubin Kazan.
              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 13-12-2017, 19:06. Reason: They would maybe still have been Dnepr when first entering the comp.

Comment

Vitoria Guimares we've done. Lokomotiv Moscow (CL 00, title 02).
                *picks remaining darts out of the wall, ceiling and Alex's shoes*

Comment

We've done best players who appeared in only one final but what about best players who appeared in only one tie? I note that Colin Bell fits this mould - first round in 1968-69 then nothing.

Comment

Yeah, seand - you're down there to "pick a dart out my shoes" ... course you are, mate ...

Nowt personal but I'd rather just have the answers.

Comment

Genuine enquiry here: Feyenoord and Celtic ending this season's Champions League Group stage with three points but are Benfica the only former champion to end a UCL group with zero points?

Comment

Steau got 1 point in 2007-08, but Red Star must be top of the failures: not qualified for the group stages since their last good season in 1991-92.

Comment

Did anyone before Borussia Dortmund ever qualify for Fail Thursdays with only two points?

Comment

No, they are the first to manage that.

Comment

Red Star lost every match of their 2007-08 UEFA Cup group. Brugge are the only runners-up I have found who obtained nil points in a Champions League group.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-12-2017, 14:36.

Comment

I suppose Forest and Villa are technically the biggest former champion "failures" in the Champions League era as they remain the only winners of the old brand never to appear in the new.

Although HSV's two appearances have resulted in just two wins, three draws and zero progressions.

Comment

Are Forest and Villa also the only champions who have only appeared in the EC/CL in the years they won it or were defending champions?

Comment

Right, let get this over and done with, never-champions in the CL era:

One of the missing answers was hidden in plain view- Shakhtar Donetsk made the CL bow on the coat tails of Dinamo Kiev in 2000, before winning a first title in 2002. The Russian representative was Rostov- CL debut last season, never won the league. The other three are the wonderfully obscure Czechs never-champions Teplice (runners up 99, lost to Celtic) and Mlada Boleslav (runners up 06) and Potugeezers Pacos de Ferreira. Didn't get that one? Don't worry, it was a surprise to their Wiki biographer "In the 2012–13 season, the team surprisingly finished third and qualified for the 2013–14 UEFA Champions League play-offs". I’ll get back to the EC era shortly

Comment

So who would get the invitations if UEFA had a sponsored brainwave after a liquid lunch, and inaugurated a competition to be entered by ONE club from each country/league (don't pedant that, it's got old), the only criteria being ... have never played in the EC/CL, but are the next cab off the rank?

Hire your best lawyers and make the case based on historical status (only since 1955), very near misses or general giant sleepiness.

First nomination: Spain - Espanyol.

Comment

QPR for 1976

Comment

Bray wanderers would be the highest ranked in Ireland

Comment

My turn to have a go...

Before Cristiano Ronaldo equalled my record (in 2017), I was the only player to have scored in 3 different C1 cup finals. Who am I?
                                            Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 14-12-2017, 22:58.

Comment

Did you play for Inter Milan?

Comment

I’m confused, because Di Stéfano scored in all of Madrid’s first five victories.

Comment

Kev means 3 or more because Di Stefano is the answer.

The only two British players to score in two finals were both full-backs, Tommy Gemmell, Phil Neal.

First to do it for different clubs - Vasovic

Comment

Another Vasovic record - scored in two finals and was on the losing side both times.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X