European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seand View Post
    Lovely question Alex. Without recourse to Google I'm thinking possibilities include
    Litmanen
    Keita
    Hleb surely
    Kaladze l
    And a lovely answer, seand - two out of four. 2005 final is spoiling it for you, Sammi Hyppia playing in that one for Liverpool (only on bench in 2007), rules out Jari Litmanen (Ajax, 1995 and 1996) - although Litmanen is the only Finn to score in the final - and Hyppia's team-mate that night, Djimi Traore representing for Mali before Keita.

But Kakha Kaladze, who didn't get off the bench for Milan that same night in 2005, did become the first - and so far only (as far as I know) - Georgian to play in the final when he completed the whole game for Milan in 2003, v Juve at Old Trafford - also came on for last ten of Milan's win over Liverpool in Athens in 2007:

Alexander Hleb - started for Arsenal in the 2006 final. Didn't feature in Barca's finals while he was at the Nou Camp but only Belarusian I can think of (So scared I've missed someone I keep shoving in the caveat) to have played the final.
    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 10:44. Reason: trying to make the answers at-a-glance

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Is Craig Johnston the only Australian?
      Remember how I said the answers could be a bit "fluid" ...? Well, in this category, Craig Johnston is like water running off an iceberg. South African-born, Australian parents, knocked-back Scotland, slagged the Australian national team, blanked South Africa: Played for England U-21s. I'll have to take him as English for the purposes of this question.

Harry Kewell is the only indisputable Australian to get game time in the ECCC/UCL final: 2005 and 2007 for Liverpool.
      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 10:40. Reason: I'm emboldening and underlining for emphasis

Comment

of course

Owen Hargreaves for Canada?
        No. Hargreaves played for England. That's him done: for this question, he's English. No going back.

Comment

And Sami Hyypia takes Litmanen out of the equation. Dwight Yorke must be one. Park ji sung is hardly the only Korean?
          Park Ji-Sung, for Manchester United in 2009 and 2011, is indeed the only Korean. He was, in fact, the first ever Asian national to play in the final.

Dwight Yorke, for Manchester United in 1999, is the only Trinidad and Tobago national ever to play in the final.

Comment

I've assumed that there must have been at least one US American, but so far I'm up a blind alley. Kirovski got a winners medal for Dortmund in 96/97 but didn't play in the final. Beasley lost in the semis with PSV, and Howard didn't play for Man Utd in any of their finals. I can't think of anyone else

Comment

... and, just like that, the greatest nation on earth is disqualified from the greatest club game on earth ...

Correct, ad hoc. No USAvian has ever got game time in this final.

(well, "correct" as far as I can see. This question is far too elastic. I'm BOUND to be caught out at some point. Still - I have a list of twenty and I'm sticking to it ...)

Comment

Not quite sure if I understand the rules about former Yugoslav countries. If Serbia and Montenegro's separation in 2006 is taken as year zero for those two, then I think we have:

Nemanja Vidić - Serbia?

OK, I think I get it now. All the previous Serb players (e.g. The Red Star team!) from Yugoslavia take Serbia out of the equation. Soz.
                Last edited by Kevin S; 20-11-2017, 11:10.

Comment

Chicarito and Valencia may tick the Mexico / Ecuador boxes

Comment

50% again, seand.

In Mexican terms, Rafael Marquez for Barcelona in 2006, spoils it for Javier Hernandez with Man U in 2011.

But Antonio Valencia, also for Man U in 2011, against Barcelona, is the only Ecuadorian to play in the final.

(also leads to the great trick question, used by a very sexy genius of a man earlier in this thread; "In which year did Valencia play against Barcelona in the Champions League final?". Because, ye know, people remember there being a few all-Spanish finals ... as well as Valencia CF and Barca playing in a few finals ... so they start racking their brains ... God, it's a great question. Dreamed up by a great mind too ...)

Comment

You should be soz, Kevin S - and so you bloody well should be, young man. I made the Yugoslav caveat very clear earlier - in an extremely concise and to-the-point post of barely 3,484 words, only five edits, a mere six addendums and just two disclaimers.

Crystal.

Comment

From last season's final can I suggest Navas (Costa Rica) and Lemina (Gabon). (I'd say Pjanic as well, but I too am a bit lost on the FYR stuff)

Comment

The FYR stuff aside, Hasan Salihamidžić flew the Bosnian flag in the final too.

Comment

Keylor Navas - Costa Rica - Real Madrid 2016 and 2017
                            Mario Lemina - Gabon - comes on as a 78th minute sub for Juventus in 2017.

Correct x 2, ad hoc.

Miralem Pjanic played 71 minutes of same final for Juventus but we have Hasan Salihamidžić playing for Bayern in the final in both 1999 (subbed on with three minutes to go ... and Bayern winning!) and 2001 (whole 120 mins and scored in the shoot-out).

These guys have only ever played for Bosnia-Herzegovina. So even if you want to say FYR was a separate country (and 21 "Yugoslavia" players have started the final through Partizan in 1966 and Red Star in 1991), Bosnia is still covered. But, for example, Refik Šabanadžović of Red Star's 1991 team, played for Yugoslavia and never officially for the Bosnian national side but he did play in friendly charity games for a Bosnia-Herzegovina representative side during the Yugoslav conflict. I feel you'd have to count him as a Bosnian too.

So, while Goran Pandev (inter 2010) is the only finalist who ever officially played/could have played/wanted to play for Macedonia, Darko Pancev of Red Star and "Yugoslavia" in 1991 almost certainly would have chosen to play for Macedonia too if he'd had the choice. It's because the country broke up almost as soon as the final whistle went in 1991 that I feel we can't be too harsh about this one. Also the sweeping multi-ethnicity of Red Star's team almost rules out all the nationalities became/returned to.

The way I see it, the final has been graced by at least two players from every present day country which made up the old Yugoslavia - except Kosovo.

Now I know the very existence of an independent Kosovo is anathema to Serbians but, for the purposes of this question, they have a national team playing qualifiers now. So that's why I'm mentioning them and not other projected entities like Bosnian Serbia. And I know there are Albanians and Swiss and so many other players who would have wanted to play for Kosovo if their national side had been around earlier. But I can't find incontrovertible proof of one Kosovan, who would want to be Kosovo internationals , having played in the European Cup/Champions League final ... even when the only national team from that area would have been Yugoslavia.
                            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 12:46. Reason: Srečko Katanec was a Yugoslav AND a Slovenian in the 1992 final for Sampdoria.

Comment

Who was the other Slovenian (Oblak is the only one I can come up with)

Comment

Valencia.... Ah reminiscent of the classic Sunderland - Villa FA Cup trivia question. That's a whole new thread I feel!

I don't think Rocky Santa Cruz played in the final for Bayern?

Comment

I can't believe that Vidal was the only Chilean, but he's the only one that springs to mind

I'd been looking at Turkish players too, thinking I'd nailed one with Altintop, but then I discovered that Sahin came on with about 30 seconds to go in 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    The FYR stuff aside, Hasan Salihamidžić flew the Bosnian flag in the final too.
                                    ... OR - what he said.

Comment

Who was the other Slovenian (Oblak is the only one I can come up with)
                                      Srečko Katanec was a Yugoslav AND a Slovenian in the 1992 final for Sampdoria.

And Zlatko Sahovic came on for Valencia in 2001 against Bayern.
                                      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 12:58. Reason: there'll be others I bet ... particularly in those 66 and 91 finals

Comment

I don't think Rocky Santa Cruz played in the final for Bayern?
                                        On the Bayern bench but did not get on the San Siro pitch in 2001, seand - and that's what it's all about.

Comment

I can't believe that Vidal was the only Chilean, but he's the only one that springs to mind
                                          CORRECT AGAIN, SIR.

Unbelievably, Arturo Vidal - playing 79 minutes for Juventus in 2015 (Claudio Bravo the sub goalie for Barca the same night) is the only Chilean to get on the pitch in a European Cup/Champions League Final.

There's two more like that - countries you just wouldn't believe have only had one bloke play in this final ...

Comment

Update on list of only players from a country to PLAY in the final:

Okay, so far we have ...

Mario Lemina – Gabon – Juventus 2017
                                            Keylor Navas - Costa Rica – Real Madrid 2016 and 2017
                                            Arturo Vidal – Chile – Juventus 2015
                                            Park Ji-Sung – South Korea – Man United 2009 and 2011
                                            Antonio Valencia – Ecuador – Man United 2011
                                            Alexander Hleb – Belorussia - Arsenal 2006
                                            Harry Kewell - Australia - Liverpool 2005 and 2007
                                            Benni McCarthy – South Africa – Porto 2004
                                            Kakha Kaladze – Georgia - Milan 2003 and 2007
                                            Dwight Yorke – Trinidad and Tobago - Man United 1999
                                            Vata (Matanu Garcia) – Angola – Benfica 1990
                                            Rabah Madjer – Algeria – Porto 1987
                                            Bruce Grobbelaar – Rhodesia and Zimbabwe – Liverpool 1984 and 85
                                            Massimo Bonini - San Marino – Juventus 1983 and 1985

Well done all. We have just six more to go. That I know about.

At least two of them will stun you because we'd assume more players from their country would have played in the ECCC/UCL final.

At least one will have you seriously disputing if he counts.

At least a dozen of you will think my list is wrong.
                                            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 13:05. Reason: and at least one of that dozen is me.

Comment

Nonda (DR Congo) for Monaco in 2004

Zikos (Greece) played for the same team, --- can he really have been the only Greek? Dumbass. Panathinaikos reached the final

And, I'm wondering whether the other surprise one could be Riise (Norway)

Comment

Shevchenko for Ukraine?

Comment

John Carew made one for Valencia, so it isn’t Riise

Comment

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of Norwegians now I think about it. Solksjaer for fucks sake, for one.

It's not...Puskas is it? There was all those amazing players from Hungary back in the 50s, but I'm not sure any of them played for a finalist other than him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X