European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    How many fathers and sons have played in the tournament?
    Arnór and Eidur Guðjohnsen
    Miguel and Pepe Reina
    Borislav and Nikolay Mikhailov
    Klaus and Matthias Sammer
    Last edited by Kowalski; 12-11-2017, 22:25.

Comment

Like the Maldini, the Sammers made their debuts in the competition for the same club.

Comment

I don't think anyone except Fat Ron has played for all four of Barcelona, Real, Milan and Inter. It shows you how big a property he was; also negatively a key person in the doping of clubs.

Comment

Ibrahimovic and Francesco Coco have three of the four, having not played for Real Madrid; Luis Figo didn't play for AC Milan.

Comment

One pretty much has to have played with Madrid to have any chance.

Seedorf is at 26, Michael Laudrup at 23, Cassano at 22, Figo at 20.

Comment

How many fathers and sons have played in the tournament?
              Fabio and Carlo Cudicini

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                One pretty much has to have played with Madrid to have any chance.

Seedorf is at 26, Michael Laudrup at 23, Cassano at 22, Figo at 20.
                Michael Owen only Brit to hit 20?

Edit: Beckham!! ... fur fucksakes ...

and if PSG win it this season he'll equal his shirt number.
                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 12-11-2017, 23:50. Reason: Twat. Me - not Becks.

Comment

Mark Van Bommel is on 18 - is that the highest for a non-Real player? Patrick Kluivert, Michael Reiziger and Winston Bogarde are on 17

Comment

How many European Footballers of the Year never won the European Cup?

Who is the best player who only won it once - Platini?

Comment

Michael Owen never won it. hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                        Mark Van Bommel is on 18 - is that the highest for a non-Real player? Patrick Kluivert, Michael Reiziger and Winston Bogarde are on 17
                        Zlatan's given it a right good non-Real Madrid go. He's currently on 24. If only he'd gone to Bayern - even just for a month or two (don't rule it out yet, mind) ... or if Malmo had defended that John Robertson cross a bit better in 1979 ...

If PSG win it this season his total will start increasing again. So far they are the only club he's played for who've never played in the final.

Comment

Ah yes, of course.

Now, how many players have beaten a former club in the final, like Frank Rijkaard and Paulo Sousa did? Have any players done that twice?

Comment

How many European Footballers of the Year never won the European Cup?
                            I had the Ballons d'Or memorised when I was younger. I start losing it round about the millennium (generally) and now it's totally patchy all over but, from what I can remember, here's an attempted list at which to shoot ...

Sir Stanley Matthews
                            Omar Sivori
                            Josef Masopust
                            Lev Yashin
                            DENIS LAW
                            Florian Albert
                            Oleg Blokhin*
                            Alan Simonsen
                            Paolo Rossi (he wasn't still playing with Juve in 85 was he?)
                            Igor Belanov*
                            Lothar Matthaus
                            Papin got a medal in 94 apparently but - come on! - he never played in the game, after featuring and losing in the 91 and 93 finals.
                            George Weah
                            Fabio Cannavaro
                            Fat Ronaldo
                            Michael Owen as pointed out by Rogin
                            Then I'm chapping - feels like it's just been Messi and camp Ronaldo for the last 20 years.

Unsures: Just Fontaine (did he win the Ballon d'Or in 58 or was it "just" the World Cup top of top scorers?) and Rivaldo??!! (he'd left Barca by 2006, yeah? Did he ever win it at Milan? Was he ever AT Milan??)

*I saw Belanov and Blokhin going out to Rangers with Kiev in an epic European Cup night at Ibrox in 87-88, barely 18 months after they'd mesmerised the world with their telekinetic Cup-Winners' cup final win over Atletico in Lyon. Also remember them losing out in a bit of a classic Champions League semi to Bayern in 1999. After our earlier debates about great "if only" European Champs, the old summer Soviet season - and Ukrainian weather in general - probably cost Dynamo, particularly under Lobanovskyi ... for whom there was a big screen tribute before the 2002 final at Hampden.

Who is the best player who only won it once - Platini?
                            The answer is in your question.

First name, George.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                              Ah yes, of course.

Now, how many players have beaten a former club in the final, like Frank Rijkaard and Paulo Sousa did? Have any players done that twice?
                              Raymond Kopa played for both clubs in the two Real v Stade de Reims finals of the fifties ... well, obviously, he played for one at a time ... winning it with Real v Reims in 59 after losing with Reims v Real in 56.

Clarence Seedorf, only man to win it with more than two clubs, beat a future club of his in the 95 final.

Comment

Rivaldo played for Milan, but was at Barcelona when he won the Ballon d'Or

None of Baggio, Nedved or Cannavaro have won a European Cup/Champions League

Comment

Baggio and Nedved! Of course! Nedved's silly trip on McManaman in the second leg of the semi-final he RAN probably cost Juve the 2003 trophy, as well as himself a place in the final.

Comment

Name the player: born in Libya, won the World Cup, UEFA Cup and CWC but left his club a year before it lifted the European Cup.

Comment

It's a Juve legend ...

Comment

And a counter-example to the concept of nominative determinalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

Paolo Rossi (he wasn't still playing with Juve in 85 was he?)
                                          Yup. He was. Subbed in last minute of the 85 final. But you'll forgive me for not remembering too much about that game.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            And a counter-example to the concept of nominative determinalism.
                                            He was Jewish?

Comment

Arf

Comment

Andy Kim asked him to rock him.

Comment

I recall him having the 2nd most impressive mustache in the Azzurri, after Greg Oden Award candidate Beppe Bergomi.

Seriously, 18 fucking years old:

Comment

Fathers and sons..... I expect there are dozens in the smaller leagues. Kit Lawlor (Drumcondra) and his son Martin (Dundalk) is one pair off the top of my head

Comment

Working...
                                                    X