No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or was it "Frankfurt fire"? Doesn't matter - Frankfurt's Waldstadion only ever hosted their leg of that 1980 UEFA cup final too ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
      Got to be honest, beyond the Claymores I'd be struggling to name another four such clubs. London Monarchs played at Wembley didn't they? Definitely. Didn't they? Absolutely.

And there was a "(something) Rhinefire"? Was there? But the Rhinestadion in Dusseldorf was only ever used for the Cup-Winners' Cup final and Moenchengladbach's European games when the Bokelberg wasn't big enough - including the UEFA Cup final in 79 and 80. ... but limiting the name "Rhine" to the Rhinestadion says more about my shocking German geography than anything else ...
      I think (and I'm resisting Wiki again) they were just called Rhein Fire.

As for the others I think there was a team in Amsterdam and I'm having another punt (though may turn out to be a fake punt, eh what) at Munich because Munich is the glue that holds European sport trivia together.

Kicking myself on Heysel though, I sat and watched that 1972 final on ESPN Classic once.

Comment

The London Monarchs did play at Wembley, among a host of other places.

Rhein Fire is one of the clubs, though the ground hasn't been identify.

Frankfurt were the Galaxy. There never was a Munich club.

Comment

Was there not a team in Barcelona?

Comment

Ha, look what's popped up on my Facebook feed this evening. From Parc des Princes.

Warning - contains male arse at the end. He has to play-the-ball with no shorts on.

Last edited by Kevin S; 11-09-2017, 21:28.

Comment

The Barcelona Dragons were discussed on the last page (it is actually how we got here). They never played in the Camp Nou.

Comment

God I can't even spell Rhein.

It's all mine all mein.

Walt - the first goal at Heysel in that 72 final is one of my all-time favs. The build-up - which is really more of a softening-up, a pounding - contains everything dazzling about that side, compared to the more pragmatic nationalelf of two years later. The Beckenbauer push, the Mueller flick, Big Netzer with his flowing viking mane lashing it off the bar and Jupp Heynckes slamming a bending drive at Rudakov - "beaten to the wide" says Barry Davies - before Der Bomber ruthlessly polishes off the scraps. Give me that before Brazil's fourth at the Azteca any day.

And had Der Bomber not polished off his marauding team-mate's scraps in the second half, Katsche Schwarzenbeck would have joined him 2 years later as another to score at Heysel in the final of both the European Cup and Euros. Against Atletico in 74, the whole Bayern team fed off the scrap of Schwarzenbeck's 120th minute equaliser in the first game.

Comment

... Frankfurt Galaxy! That's actually ringing a bell. But I'm chapping ursus. I'll quit at a highly respectable 2 from 5 before any more flags on my spelling violations .. "was there a Danyoob Magyars?" ... or equally pitiful attempts to emulate Walt's impressive gridiron lingo dulls even the limited shine on my two pieces of very local knowledge.

Ravenna Rubykorns?

Comment

...Fuck it. Don't know the other 2 teams but for the stadiums I'd guess Prater/Ernst Happel, the San Siro ... and Rhein Fire must have played at the Berlin Olympic Stadium because you just couldn't have the Rhein at the Neckar ... could you???

Comment

If memory serves the vast majority of those American Football teams were in Germany

Comment

Correct, Germany was the only country that took to the sport.

In addition to the two German clubs that played in stadia that hosted a European Cup Final, there were the Frankfurt Galaxy, the Hamburg Sea Devils and the Cologne Centurions.

The other three answers are:

Amsterdam Admirals - Olympic Stadium
                        Rhein Fire - Arena auf Schalke
                        Berlin Thunder - Olympiastadion

Comment

A health warning on this one as I've used Wikipedia for research, but I trust Alex has been assiduous in his compiling of the pages:

The first time that the two captains in a European Cup/Champions League final were compatriots was in 2003, when Paolo Maldini led Milan to victory against an Alessandro Del Piero-skippered Juventus.

It has also happened in 2008, '13, '14 and '16 - all occasions when the finalists were from the same country. Interesting, to me anyway, that even though we are in an era where teams are ever more internationally composed, the captaincy largely remains an honour bestowed on a local.

Comment

Rhein fire were still on the go when they built the auf Schalke? Jeezus I only ever took an interest for that first couple of years the NFL highlights were on Channel 4 so have lazily and egomaniacally assumed all such European spin-offs took place on that same two year period in the 80's.

This is why I stick to the European Cup ... I know how much I don't know about that. But talk about it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Ha, look what's popped up on my Facebook feed this evening. From Parc des Princes.

Warning - contains male arse at the end. He has to play-the-ball with no shorts on.

Lovely footage of the old pre-second refurb Parc, Kevin. And the mooning at the end was far less arsey than that horrendous plastic haka thing from the Aussies at the start. Think I only heard the fifteen rampant, establishment-sanctioned bigotries in the commentary ... but there's probably more in there ...

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                The first time that the two captains in a European Cup/Champions League final were compatriots was in 2003, when Paolo Maldini led Milan to victory against an Alessandro Del Piero-skippered Juventus.

It has also happened in 2008, '13, '14 and '16 - all occasions when the finalists were from the same country. Interesting, to me anyway, that even though we are in an era where teams are ever more internationally composed, the captaincy largely remains an honour bestowed on a local.
                                Good shout, denishurley. Stunning, in fact. My level of assiduity-isness-ness on the European Cup borne out by the fact that, yeah, I would have totally assumed this was the one international club final most likely to pitch compatriot captains against each other as teams from different countries met.

The glamour of it was always its foreigness. Not just of most teams competing being foreign to most fans watching the competition, but of players being foreign within the clubs themselves. This is why its so noteable that Steaua and Celtic won it with players all from their own country - and probably explains why they both managed that just once each. We have Real and Benfica as the first two winners with all-Spanish and all-Portugese sides but full of guys born in Argentina, Uruguay, Hungary, Angola, Mozambique - the very fact some of them had international caps for more than one country was one of the deliciously exotic things about the European Cup. Especially for us in our little part of the world where Irishmen, Welshmen, Scotsmen and Englishmen all instinctively regard each other as having come from no farther away than a different end of the same street.

And as the years went on, travel became easier and ... GLOBALISATION (just say "globalisation", Alex - and move on) every team became more polyglot. Even the British sides with a chance of winning it had Dutchmen, Norwegians, Ivorians, Ghanaians and Danes in them - you'd just think it was a stick on that both captains, of tow sides from different domestic leagues, would very often be of the same nationality. The sheer number of top class Brazilians and Argentinians infusing this final with their genius over the years would almost demand it. Christ we've even had a pair of brothers from Africa appearing in finals for different clubs from different countries.

I've always said that the Champions League is its own country. Since the rebranding we've been moving towards the current situation where you have not only a cartel of winning clubs but of winning managers and players who are doing the rounds in that cartel in an almost incestuous fashion. remember the old quiz question about British players who had played for three European Cup-winning clubs. It was so difficult because Allan McInally and Mark Hughes had both played at Bayern - Hughes at Barca too. As soon as the Champions League is mentioned nowadays, however, we automatically ignore borders: It's more likely to slip a Scot's mind that Michael Owen played for Man United than he played for Real Madrid.

Who'd ever have thought, when I were a nipper, that the great Bayern Munich, with their deeply Teutonic efficiency, would have a Catalan manager followed by an Italian? Well, when their team is full of Spaniards, Chileans, Brazilians and - ye gads - an Austrian (!), you can see why they think that works. When half of those players are of World Cup-winning, Champions League-winning standard, and expect a coach who understands them, then you know Bayern are actually being as Germanically rigorous as ever in selecting a coach based on the only nationality which now counts for them - and Inter, and Chelsea, and Barca and Real and them all: These managers, like their employers, all have to be from Championsleagueland.

But it seems, Denis, you've discovered the undiscovered country from whose bourn no armband shall depart. Ancelotti the gaffer can happily do Spain, Italy, England and Germany as a Championsleaguelander, but as a player he was only ever going to be captain of Milan.
                                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 12-09-2017, 09:35. Reason: And, now we're safely rid of the chaff, the GLAMOUR all starts again tonight

Comment

Ahh, captains. That's one of my niches.

The "home countries" players at English clubs muddy the waters slightly here. Dual cup winning captain John McGovern was born in Montrose, although never played for Scotland (they're not keen on winners)*. Bonus fun fact: McGovern's middle name is Prescott.
                                  Graeme Souness (born Edinburgh) lifted the cup in 1984.
                                  Otherwise we had the Englishmen Bobby Charlton, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson and Dennis Mortimer lifting the cup for English clubs.

Until 1999, when Denmark's Peter Schmeichel was captain in the absence of suspended (and injured) regular captain Roy Keane, who is of course Irish. The opposing captain was Oliver Kahn, making it the first/only time the two goalies were skipper. And I should think so, too. It should be in the laws of the game that the skipper is centre half or centre mid.
                                  There was a near miss, literally, in 2006 when Thierry Henry captained Arsenal and missed an easy chance to make it 2-0.
                                  Then we had Gerrard, one of only two Englishmen in Liverpool's lineup, then Rio in 08, before Frank Lampard guided Chelsea to the trophy in 2012, with John Terry famously joining in with lifting the trophy.
                                  This season, Jordan Henderson, Gary Cahill and Michael Carrick are flying the flag, although Carrick would seem unlikely to play, while Vincent Kompany looks to emulate Schmeichel. And he, too is unlikely to play as he's always injured.

* Banter! McGovern was Clough's lucky mascot, and although he was a good captain and offered cohesion in centre midfield, he was also well know for being not particularly good at football.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    Bonus fun fact: McGovern's middle name is Prescott.
                                    Cracker but, in terms of this competition, nothing can beat Gerard Piqué Bernabéu.

Comment

Yes jwdd, when I got to 99 I was thinking I hadn't seen any other instance of the two keepers being captains.

Wikipedia has Atletico having two different captains for the 1974 drawn final and replay against Bayern Munich, but I wonder if it's an error because the player listed as captain for the first game, Abelardo Rodriguez, was brought off in the replay so Luis Aragones was the captain at the end?

Incidentally, Bayern wore all-white for both games while Atletico switched from red socks/white tops to blue socks/red tops for the replay.

Comment

UEFA has Adelardo (who played over 400 matches for the club) as captain for both matches, which makes sense because he was captain for (at least) the quarterfinals and semi-finals.

In the video of the replay, one can see Adelardo (the Atleti number 4) exchanging handshakes with Beckenbauer.

Comment

Yeah, it seemed far too strange for it to be anything else.

Comment

Two grounds have hosted both the European Cup/Champions League Final and at least one match of the World Ice Hockey Championship

Comment

I assume one of them must be Moscow

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                The Bulls won't be troubling Sky's Friday night cameras for a while, they are on even harder times than their stadium and started the season with a big points deduction for yet another financial collapse.

'Let's develop Odsal into a National Stadium for Rugby League' comes around as often on RL boards as 'let's have a Six Nations' and 'let's do away with the salary cap' but it's never going to happen, not least cos the hardcore League audience is going to get rapidly tired of going to Bradford for every neutral venue cup game and international - nothing against Bradford but y'know.

Natural bowl dontcha know, you enter at the top of the terraces.
                                                I've no idea what is going on in this thread and will clearly now have to review it but though I would also comment that Odsal is one of the great lost speedway venues ;

Comment

Wikipedia has Atletico having two different captains for the 1974 drawn final and replay against Bayern Munich, but I wonder if it's an error because the player listed as captain for the first game, Abelardo Rodriguez, was brought off in the replay so Luis Aragones was the captain at the end?

Incidentally, Bayern wore all-white for both games while Atletico switched from red socks/white tops to blue socks/red tops for the replay.
                                                  Bloody hell, Denis. See - this is why we need a kits expert in here. I'd never noticed that. All those years of seeing random pictures from that final and, unless it was Atletico celebrating or Schwarzenbeck, Mueller or Hoeness scoring, I had no way of telling if it was the first game or the replay. I mean what the fuck ...

Okay, maybe they didn't swap pennants before the replay. But I don't know that, do I! And it's the exact same starting XI for Bayern in both games. Yeah, the ground looks a bit busier in the background and there were 25,000 less people at the replay than the first game, but the Heysel held about 70,000 at that time - there were serious spaces and serious busy bits at both games. Bernd Duernberger only appeared as a sub for Bayern in the first game and, yes, Benegas came on for the last half hour of the replay in the Atletico goal (Adelardo did indeed start both games as captain) - but I have absolutely no clue what these guys looked like and have far too much self respect to waste my time raking up old photos of footballers on the internet ...

And, yet, there was ready reckoner - an at-a-glance tell - which even a lazy bastard like me could have been using all this time. And by that I mean the thirty six or seven years since I first memorised all the winners of the European Cup and knew only one final had gone to a replay. The answer was right in front of me all along:

Duh!

versus Doh!

(see what I mean - looks packed in the background - only 23,325 in the ground that night. And I bet some of them were there for the Euro 72 final too ...)

Jeezus, it even works in black & white, Alex!

versus

You've made life a lot easier for an old man, Denis. This is better than when I got that stair-lift put in ...

Yes jwdd, when I got to 99 I was thinking I hadn't seen any other instance of the two keepers being captains
                                                  Particularly notable when it happened in only the second World Cup final.
                                                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 12-09-2017, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Two grounds have hosted both the European Cup/Champions League Final and at least one match of the World Ice Hockey Championship
                                                    One of them has to be the Auf Schalke. Or is it Wrigley Field?

The Big House has the world record crowd for ice hockey though, right?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X