No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done to Patrick and ad hoc - re Piraeus, I’m going to hide behind the fact that I heard the stat on the venerable TV show Champions League Magazine

Comment

I suspect Piraeus is part of "Greater Metropolitan Athens" or some such, so they are probably technically correct

Comment

While this poser is being answered can I ask if anyone knows what is the longest run in the European Cup/CL/other European competitions of unbeaten home matches in terms of games played? I know that Man Utd went a fair few years before losing at Old Trafford but back then teams played fewer games (if you went far in the competition) than now. Maybe Real Madrid had a longer run?
        Last edited by Sporting; 17-10-2018, 11:36.

Comment

Liverpool had gone 40 games unbeaten in European games at Anfield before Genoa beat them 2-1 in the UEFA cup in 1992. Red Star Belgrade had been the previous ones in 1973.

Comment

Not sure about the longest of all time, but Ipswich Town have an outrageous record.... they're unbeaten at home in Europe in all 31 Euro games, an unbeaten run that looks likely to last for a while yet.

Comment

More importantly than anything else Dundalk hold the Irish record- 8 unbeaten at home in the 70s/80s back when the small guys were thrown in with the big guys..... PSV, Hajduk, Linfield, Hibs Malta, Celtic, Porto, Fram, Spurs, bookended by defeats to Liverpool

Comment

AZ Alkmaar got to 32 unbeaten at home and then lost to Everton - so Ipswich's is the longest 'active' run, AZ's was the longest ever.

Comment

40 games (ahem).

Comment

Man United got to 56 before losing at home Fenerbahce in 96-7

Comment

That would seem to be it, then.

I don't suppose anyone who has too much time on their hands would care to tell us the longest unbeaten away record.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                        Man United got to 56 before losing at home Fenerbahce in 96-7
                        And the funny thing was that started a run of three defeats in four home games:
                        0-1 Fenerbahce
                        0-1 Juventus
                        4-0 Porto (QF)
                        0-1 Dortmund (SF)

Comment

Has any nation had three or more teams eliminated before the last 16 in the season? I think it may have happened to Serie A one year, maybe during the period Juventus were relegated.

Comment

There are likely other examples, but in both 2000-01 and 2001-02, Italy lost their fourth club in the preliminary rounds, only for each of the other three clubs to fail to qualify from the group stages.

Comment

Buffon's clean sheet last night was his 50th in the Champions League proper.... but who wants to name the 8 keepers who've played 100+ Champions League games..............

Comment

Casillas, Neuer, Cech,

Comment

Kahn and Lehmann?

Comment

Van der Sar?

Comment

Valdes?

Comment

Good work, 7 of the 8 so far....
                                        178 Casillas
                                        129 Buffon
                                        111 Cech
                                        110 Valdes
                                        109 ??????
                                        107 Kahn
                                        100 Van der Sar
                                        100 Neuer

Lehmann has 116 in Europe apparently but not in the top ten in CL appearances

Comment

It's going to be someone from a club like Dynamo Kyiv or Rosenborg.

Comment

Wasn't the keeper for Dynamo Kyiv Oleksandr Shockovsky (sic)? Played for them for years if I recall.

Comment

Igor Akinfeev ?

Comment

Yep, "Olexandr Shovkovskiy" is what I've just copied and pasted form uefa.com

The next one up after the 8 with 100+ is Pepe Reina with 81.... he's played another NINETY UEFA Cup/Europa League games

Comment

Incidentally Casillas has played 185 European club games and 167 internationals for Spain, that over 350 senior appearances without lowering himself to the humdrum of domestic league and cup games

Comment

The Dejan Lovren Award

By my count there are 31 players who have played in the European Cup/Champions League final in the same year. (And another 11 I reckon who could have- i.e. were in squads that made both finals but missed out on at least one final) Arise, great OTF hive mind, and compile that list.....

First things first though....... who is the only player to have TWICE played in the European Cup/Champions League final and the World Cup final in the same year?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X