European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
    By the way - A712, what an absolutely mint road that is. The bit past Clatteringshaws loch and the red deer range is superb.
    Oooo, yes. Drove along there the first time we did the camper van thing. Fabulous road with no cars...

Comment

Comment

Correct! Four years before he nabbed one v Juventus in Berlin, Neymar bagged his most famous brace. Ish.

Comment

If you change all of those questions to be about England, then two of the answers are trivial:

(1) The last ECCC/UCL final scorer who played for an English club at any point in his career before or after (played - not managed)?

(2) The last ECCC/UCL final scorer who scored against the England national team at any point in his career before or after?

(3) The last ECCC/UCL final scorer who scored at Wembley at any point in his career before or after?

But Ronnie has never scored against England.
          Last edited by Kevin S; 21-05-2018, 10:18.

Comment

Took him a few bites of the cherry to get his Wembley goal, mind you, and even then it was a mere consolation against a rampant Spurs. But then, they're not the ones in the Final now, are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Oooo, yes. Drove along there the first time we did the camper van thing. Fabulous road with no cars...
              We had to "slam" the brakes on when we saw a sheep standing in the middle of the road a mere bendy 200 yards away. By the time we got to it its lamb had joined it, the two of them licking either the paint of the road marking or the cat's eye. I pulled to a halt, rolled down the window and tried to get them to move - for their own safety. Ours was never in question seeing as there wasn't another vehicle in front or behind for about half an hour.

And, it was at that point, confronted with sacrificial lambs, that I thought ...

When was the last ECCC/UCL final in which goals were scored by two different players who have both scored against Scotland before or since?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                Though Scotland apparently managed to keep Mandžukić quiet in the WC2014 qualifiers against Croatia.

Croatia and Iceland - the two countries Scotland have in the bag.

Which is impressive - but rather annoying when fucking Lithuania habitually give us such a hard time.

Comment

(2)
                  [spoiler]

England beat them 1-4, but unlike Scotland we couldn't keep MM out.
                  [/spoiler]
                  Last edited by Kevin S; 21-05-2018, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                    But Ronnie has never scored against England.
                    Or Scotland. Faint hope when they announced a friendly at Hampden for after the World Cup. But (a) Ronnie will probably have retired by then or (b) he wouldn't do a friendly anyway.

(2) I'll go Suarez.

Comment

Not Suarez; the answer is more immediate than that...

Comment

Bale scored against them at Euro 2016 but scored in an earlier Champions League final. So my lack of knowledge of England games is showing me up here. I'd have to guess that big Mario has scored against the three lions.

Comment

Yes, that's the fella - I've put the goal behind the spoiler button.

Comment

(a) the spoiler button thing - different class. I couldn't even work out how to post pics from my phone of my un-ripped Egypt v Belarus tickets.

(b) That'll be the game when young Walcott announced himself with a hat-trick, eh? Under the management of the last man to manage a side to three straight Champions League finals ... before Zidane repeats it this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                              Brilliant stuff, Seand. I remember watching the Europa League highlights show on BT last season, avidly keeping up with their progress. Gutted for them in the end. But I had forgotten about them eliminating BATE and have no recollection of them moving the next game to the Aviva. Bloody hell - that must have been amazing.

I do love the cognitive dissonance induced by the aesthetic of a side playing a home game at a different ground (Old Trafford with Celtic fans in the 84-85 CWC replay v Rapid; the San Siro decked in Juve colours for their home leg of the 94-95 UEFA Cup final v Parma).

So that's Celtic and Dundalk both, this decade, hosted Legia at a ground in a different city/town to their own in the Champions League qualifiers (the nation's rugby union HQ in both cases). Not that this, of course, is the main thing to be taken from that fantastic run.

There was a day - and that day was ten years ago this week - when I would be praising that run slightly patronisingly. "Oh, well done, League of Ireland - how quaint for you". But, of course, half of Scotland's clubs now want a summer season like yer own. Not because it would give us more chance not of emulating our own European-final-reaching glories of, frankly, last decade - but because it would stop us going out of Europe in July to teams from Luxembourg.

I'm not being patronising. I'm just fucking jealous.

Every time we discuss Dundalk I get this Proustian remembrance of an old Playing for Rangers annual I stole from an aunt, uncle or cousin when I was barely school age. I'm trying to find it amid the carnage of my February house move (that I hold onto such stuff is why we're still unpacking) but I remember it had pictures and words on Rangers playing this team which, as an ITA-trained reader, I kept thinking was gonnae be Dundee or Dundee United but always had a different ending.

Just looked it up and it was the second round of the 1968-69 Fairs Cup.

Two things here:

(1) Your mob put Utrecht out in the previous round (in a season where Ajax reached the big final). Kudos.

(2) As I was born in July 1969 and the first leg took place in November 1968, I reckon this is the first European tie Rangers played after I was conceived. As my mother is Catholic and my dad Church of Scotland (I'm neither - coz the two of them got so much hassle from zealots on both sides that they didn't need riots in the Sorbonne to engender the soixante-huitard attitude to religious institutions), I think there's poetry in West of Scotland meeting Irish Republic at that particular stage of that particular season.

But, then again, us winter season zealots have always had strange ideas about the poesy.

EDIT: and Steven Lennon and I were born in the same hospital. Fucking hell. There's something going on here. It's cosmic. Rangers and Dundalk - the greatest fan freundschaft in football? Or, now that I've found that book and sent you the photos on Twitter, am I just stalking you personally, Sean?

I know which option is more likely.
                              Cheers for that Alex. At the risk of taking this thread further off topic (perish the tought!) I'll attempt to stick an image of the Ibrox programme in this post. Presumably Rangers-Vojvodina in the first round was your first 'live' Rangers Euro tie though. As you said Dundalk had to get past Utrecht before playing Rangers... which was a decent achievement though Dutch football was pretty much amateur at the time and Utrecht qualfied, literally, as host of a trade fair. They were top flight at the time though.
                              Couple of footnotes on the Rangers-Dundalk tie..... one A Ferguson featured for the Gers, and for the return leg Colin Stein was chasing a hat-trick of hat-tricks. He'd just scored trebles against Arbroath and Hibs in the league, but we showed him.... he only got 2 against Dundalk.

Comment

Nice, seand. Thanks for that lovely pic of the programme for the first ever Rangers game after my conception. I was born mid-July 69 so I can't see me having been around in any form for the Vojvodina game. I'm all about the Lilywhites me.

Colin Stein was a man for the big goal: The first in our only wining European final and the one which won us our first league title in ten years in 1975.

And Sir Alex - only British manager to reach four ECCC/UCL finals - drags my rant into the realms of the relative. His Rangers career was finished by the end of that season when he fatally failed to pick up Billy McNeil at a couple of corners as Celtic humped Rangers in the Scottish Cup final.

But, while Man U manager, he was first man in our dressing room at Elland Road to celebrate us stopping Leeds getting into the first ever Champions League. Not quite Bill Shankly's "John, you're immortal now" in the Estadio Nacional but, as I'm currently dreading Rangers getting Dundalk in Europe again, still very happy memories for Yours Bluely.

QUESTION: Other than Sir Alex, managers to reach more than three European Cup/UCL finals?
                                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 22-05-2018, 00:24. Reason: Should I speak to my dad about the conception thing? I mean, I'm all about veracity when it comes to the Euro stats but ...

Comment

Jupp?

Comment

Sorry, Kev - only a miserable, measley three finals for Herr Heynckes; winning with Real Madrid in 1998 and Bayern in 2013 - lost the 2012 final with Bayern (at "home" to Chelsea).

Comment

I'm gonna go in slightly scattergun and guess Ancelotti, Sacchi and Capello.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                        Sorry, Kev - only a miserable, measley three finals for Herr Heynckes; winning with Real Madrid in 1998 and Bayern in 2013 - lost the 2012 final with Bayern (at "home" to Chelsea).
                                        Plus 1977.

Pedants, open your dictionaries!

Comment

Do you mean he had some sort of coaching and/or admin role at Moenchengladbach in 77 as well as playing, tee rex - therefore pedantically qualifying as having "managed" in that one too?

Or do you mean I wasn't specific enough with the wording of the original question?

Because I reckon, in the latter case, Jupp will have "reached" a few more finals via complimentaries in the posh seats.

Also this would mean Puskas now qualifies as an answer because he managed one team to one final - Panathinaikos 1971 - but played in three for Real (1960, 62 and 64)

Alfredo di Stefano never managed a team to the final (although he did get two to the Cup-Winners' Cup final) but he was a manager, so can we just throw his seven finals as a player into this?

I can't decide if I'm annoyed or excited ...
                                          Last edited by Alex Anderson; 22-05-2018, 08:40. Reason: ... pretty much the same thing isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            I'm gonna go in slightly scattergun and guess Ancelotti, Sacchi and Capello.

Sacchi 2, Capello 3, Carlo Ancelotti CORRECT SIR.

Although, by Tee Rex's potential pedantry ruling (I await his "final" decision. [Yes, you can look forward to topical corkers like that ALL this week as part of our unmissable build-up to the 63rd final of the European Cup/Champions League*]), Capello playing for Juve in their 1973 final loss to Ajax adds to his three straight as Milan manager from 93 to 95 and also qualifies him as a correct answer.

Ancelotti managed Milan to the final in 2003, 05, and 07 (WLW) as well as Real to la decima in 2014.

He also played in both Sacchi's Milan sides wot won the 1989 then 1990 finals.

... and injury kept him out of Roma's team in the 1984 final.
                                            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 22-05-2018, 08:32. Reason: *or 64th if you count the replayed final of 1974. Which someone definitely will.

Comment

Lippi!

Comment

Ci, ci, CI, SIGNORI!

Marcello Lippi managed Juventus to the Champions League finals of 1996, 97, 98 & 2003 (WLLL).

Comment

Only one more to go by the way.

Ferguson, Capello, Ancelotti and ...

Comment

manager in 3 C1 finals.... Paisley (Liverpool), Ernst Happel (Brugge, Hamburg, Feyenoord)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X