• Time
  • Show
Clear All

As illustrated by the fact that I believe Inter is next with five

Beat Real Madrid, Benfica and Bayern
    Lost to Celtic and Ajax

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
      Roma playing only their second semi-final, against the team they met in their only previous final appearance: Same as Liverpool in the 1977-78 semis.
      That wasn't Liverpool's second semi-final. They reached the semis in 1965.

Comment

Ukraine hosts the final in World Cup year, marking the first time since 2002 that a country has had the honour before missing out on FIFA's summer lovin'.

Only four other countries have failed to qualify for the World Cup in the year they hosted the European Cup final: which ones? And who has managed it three times?

Comment

England in 1978 and Holland in 1982

Comment

Netherlands in 1962, Belgium in 1966.

Comment

Scotland 2002

Comment

Are Liverpool the first team ever to concede six goals in the semi-final and still go through?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  That wasn't Liverpool's second semi-final. They reached the semis in 1965.
                  Aye, fair dues Rogin - I worded that badly. False emphasis on the "second semi" aspect. In 77-78 Liverpool played a semi against Moenchengladbach - the team they'd met in their only previous final. Same as Roma last night.

EDIT: Or I was just being plain fucking wrong. I don't THINK I'd forget about the big fix v Inter in 65, especially after watching that recent Shankly documentary on BBC Alba in which Ian St John went into great detail about the near hysteria of the Anfield leg. But, then again, I was talking about Shankly as a European Cup-winning manager earlier in this thread.
                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 03-05-2018, 09:29. Reason: ... that was just a mad Scottish bias thing though. Wasn't it

Comment

Great question, tee rex - I'll go with Belgium, via the Heysel, as yer three time trick, as that's the only place to host the final three times in World Cup years: 1958, 1966 and 1974.

... apart from the Netherlands in 1962, 1982 and 1998 ...

But I know the Netherlands qualified in 98, coz they finished fourth and therefore got themselves stuck in my limited World Cup memory.

Comment

Are Liverpool the first team ever to concede six goals in the semi-final and still go through?
                      Eintracht Frankfurt once let in four and went through - aherm - but I can't think of victorious semi-finalist conceding more than six ...

Wiki beckons.

Comment

Comment

Yes, Belgium three times, back when they rarely qualified for the smaller World Cup tournaments. Netherlands x2, England and Scotland as mentioned.

If put on the spot I would have included Austria 1990 - but wrong. They did turn up that year, and I have no memory at all of them being there.

Sweden is the anti-Belgium: never hosting the EC final, but regularly qualifying for (and even hosting) the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                            Sweden is the anti-Belgium: never hosting the EC final, but regularly qualifying for (and even hosting) the World Cup.
                            ....and in their respective attitudes to selling high strength beers.

Comment

I can hereby confirm that Liverpool are indeed the first team ever to concede six in a European Cup/ECL semi-final and still qualify - indeed, no beaten side had even managed five over the two legs before Roma on Wednesday night. (If anybody wants to confirm or otherwise that this is the only such occasion in all European competition, then the floor's yours...)

In terms of the ECL, thirteen goals is also the biggest aggregate for a semi-final - however, back in 1960 (ie, proper European Cup days), Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers 12-4 on aggregate (6-1, 6-3 - or a 'Ladies' Singles final', to you). Frankfurt's first goal of the tie was scored by the excellently-named Dieter Stinka.

Comment

... and, just to salt 'n vinegar the wound, the 1960 final was at Hampden, where I'm sure we could have kept Real down to 11 (one quieter).

I do feel duty bound, however, to point out that, in one of those great football anomalies, within seven months of the Eintracht thumping, Rangers set the record for the biggest ever European quarter-final win ... against another "West" German club. Moenchengladbach done 11-0 on aggregate in the Cup-winners' Cup.
                                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 04-05-2018, 10:07. Reason: "Last eight, you say - well, let's score eight then"

Comment

Page 116 means 2015-16 and Dundalk’s long awaited Champions League debut. We’d won the league in 95 but were shamefully shunted into the UEFA Cup. At the end of the 2012 League of Ireland season we avoided relegation only via the playoffs and only because Monaghan went bust mid-season. Enter manager Stephen Kenny, and it’s runners-up 2013, champions 2014 and Champions League 2015. The excitement, the glamour…. the Belarussian champions. BATE won 2-1 in Barysaw, so it was kept alive for the return leg at the tongue-in-cheek “Home of Football” Oriel Park. I must have been looking into the sun because there was a tear in my eye as the Champions League theme played over the tinny old tannoy in gloriously grimy old school Oriel. A scoreless draw kept it interesting for 90 minutes, though you could see there was a gap between the teams. We’d be back though….

Incidentally Dundalk were the fourth club managed by Stephen Kenny in the Champions League… somebody’s got to have done more than that though (I’ll let you have the European-Cup-slash-Champions-League of course)

Comment

I think I'm right in saying Trapattoni had Milan, Juventus, Inter, Bayern and Salzburg? Would have had Benfica too but he left after winning the title in his only season.

Comment

Benfica were in the Champions League the year he was there, he also managed Fiorentina in the Champions League.

Seven is going to be hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                        Page 116 means 2015-16 and Dundalk’s long awaited Champions League debut. We’d won the league in 95 but were shamefully shunted into the UEFA Cup. At the end of the 2012 League of Ireland season we avoided relegation only via the playoffs and only because Monaghan went bust mid-season. Enter manager Stephen Kenny, and it’s runners-up 2013, champions 2014 and Champions League 2015. The excitement, the glamour…. the Belarussian champions. BATE won 2-1 in Barysaw, so it was kept alive for the return leg at the tongue-in-cheek “Home of Football” Oriel Park. I must have been looking into the sun because there was a tear in my eye as the Champions League theme played over the tinny old tannoy in gloriously grimy old school Oriel. A scoreless draw kept it interesting for 90 minutes, though you could see there was a gap between the teams. We’d be back though….

Incidentally Dundalk were the fourth club managed by Stephen Kenny in the Champions League… somebody’s got to have done more than that though (I’ll let you have the European-Cup-slash-Champions-League of course)
                                        Stephen Kenny only managed three sides in the Champions league,Bohs,Rovers and Dundalk, Derry city only made the UEFA cup in his time there (btw I'm not taking away from his achievements)

Comment

Oh that's right, he was off to Dunfermline by the time Derry inherited Shelbourne's spot. Luckily Il Trap has moved the bidding along to seven...

Edit
                                          Ancelotti has 7 too I think- Parma Juve Milan Chelsea PSG Real Bayern
                                          Last edited by seand; 04-05-2018, 14:48.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Benfica were in the Champions League the year he was there, he also managed Fiorentina in the Champions League.

Seven is going to be hard to beat.
                                            Quaintly, I was checking his title wins and if he was at the clubs the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                              Quaintly, I was checking his title wins and if he was at the clubs the followi ng year.
                                              Oh Denis you're so 1980s

Comment

I'll take the high road and avoid the "So is Oriel Park" comeback.

I actually drove to Lansdowne with my father and brother to support Dundalk against Legia (with a stop for a round of golf at Mount Juliet en route). I was in Dublin on work placement/practising for an alcohol-consumption title in the Guinness Book of Records in the summer of 2005, and I went to Tolka to support Shels against Glentoran and Steaua Bucharest.

Comment

We're now in the fifth straight season of the final featuring either Barcelona or Real Madrid so ...

Who are the only two players to have scored in the ECCC/UCL final for Barcelona and/or Real Madrid who have NOT also scored in El Clįsico?

Comment

Belletti has to be one, as he never scored for Barcelona in la Liga

Comment

Working...
                                                    X