No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know the answer to this but in light of today's fixtures, which British club has won the most ties against other British clubs? Liverpool have won at least three that I can recall.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
      There's Kuyt for Liverpool v Milan 07 but that's not one of two successive seasons. ..... Eintracht scored last in 1960 so I'm assuming Barcelona scored last v Benfica 61?
      Correct Seand. Nicely assumed.

So, with Kuyt being the given example to get the ball rolling, I can now go full-on Anorak; It's LIST time:

Last goals in ECCC/UCL finals scored by the losing side:

Erwin Stein, Eintracht Frankfurt 1960; 75 mins, makes it 7-3 to Real Madrid.

Zoltan Czibor, Barcelona 1961;75 mins, 3-2 to Benfica.

Roberto Pruzzo, Roma 1984; 42 mins, 1-1: Liverpool win on penalties.

Jari Litmanen, Ajax 1996; 41 mins, 1-1: Juventus win on penalties.

Dirk Kuyt, Liverpool 2007; 89 mins, 2-1 to Milan

Frank Lampard, Chelsea 2008; 45 mins, 1-1: Manchester United win on penalties.

Yannick Carrasco, Atletico de Madrid 2016; 79 mins, 1-1: Real Madrid win on penalties.

The temptation is to call this a list of the "consolation goals" scored in the final but six of them put their team right back in the game. So it's little wonder Erwin Stein of Eintracht Frankfurt - the first man to score a "last goal in the final" for a losing team - had to have two attempts before he succeeded in becoming the only man to score a true consolation goal in the ECCC/UCL final

At Hampden in 1960, Puskas made it 6-1 to Real in the 71st minute; Stein makes it 6-2 in the 72nd. Di Stefano, with almost vindictive contempt, then waltzes straight back up the park, walking in a seventh for Real in the 73d minute, as if to say "fuck your consolation!". But Erwin leaves it a whole two minutes (the crowd must have been bored rigid), before saying "No - you have the cup and the two hat-tricks: We're having the first say in this game and we're having the last: We will have our consolation". Thank you, Glasgow. We have been your support act.

Bloody Germans. I love em.

Four goals in five minutes - two for each side ... in a ten-goal game. With fifteen minutes of the 90 remaining, in a final like that, no-one could be sure it was merely a consolation. But it was. Bloody amazing that in 62 finals it remains the only one. Well done, Erwin.

Comment

Comment

Ties or legs/group games? Liverpool have knocked Chelsea out twice, Arsenal once, as well as Aberdeen, Crusaders and TNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Ties or legs/group games? Liverpool have knocked Chelsea out twice, Arsenal once, as well as Aberdeen, Crusaders and TNS.
            And Celtic, but do they count as British? (In joke for the Irish Celtic Cynics Association members among us )

Comment

Liverpool and Celtic have knocked each other out the UEFA Cup and Liverpool won their 1965-66 CWC semi ... but they've never met in the big one, have they?

Have they??!!

Champions League era I'm struggling to remember much past the finals - and even they're turning into endless repeats.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Greatest player: Very hard to split Di Stefano, Messi and Ronaldo. Probably can't be done.
                It is very hard to split those players. So thank god Paco Gento made it nice and easy for us. Six winners medals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  Actually the last team to score in a shootout doesn't necessarily win, do they? A team could go 2-1 up after 2 kicks each - with the last kick scored by the team 2-1 down - and then they could both miss their next 3 kicks. Although, like Alex, I don't count goals in shootouts, I wonder if that's happened - in a C1 final or elsewhere?
                  That hasn't happened in a C1 final yet, Rogin. And it had never occurred to me it could. Nice one.

What I also find interesting is that, in every ECCC/UCL/C1 final shootout that has been decided by/concluded with a penalty taker not scoring the final penalty, it has been an actual goalkeeping save.

Okay we all know what happened to one team when the final took place in Seville but - almost as if to prove it is the showpiece fixture which decides the best of the best - when the final goes to penalties, the shootout has been finished by either a converted pen or a goalkeeper keeping the ball out with his hands.

Incredibly, it has never even been decided by one of those blasts over the bar or hook past the post which nevertheless lead to the goalie, who had dived in completely the opposite direction, running away celebrating his own genius as if he'd got a divine fingernail to it.

It's not even that any goalie has got his toe, head or left knee cap to the deciding penalty - if it's a save, it's always a save with one hand or both hands.

So, of the eleven European Cup/Champions League finals to be decided by penalties, which five goalkeepers saved the final kick of the shootout?

And which six players converted the final kick?
                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 04-04-2018, 16:55. Reason: And who is the only goalie to score from the spot in a C1 final shootout?

Comment

Shevchenko one of the answers to the latter, as well as a contributor to one of the answers to the first, Jurek Dudek.

Comment

Correct Denis. One of the most poetic contrasts in the history of the comp; Sheva scoring the last pen in 2003 then having it saved two years later. By the Museum of Jerzy Dudek.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                        Correct Seand. Nicely assumed.

So, with Kuyt being the given example to get the ball rolling, I can now go full-on Anorak; It's LIST time:

Last goals in ECCC/UCL finals scored by the losing side:

Erwin Stein, Eintracht Frankfurt 1960; 75 mins, makes it 7-3 to Real Madrid.

Zoltan Czibor, Barcelona 1961;75 mins, 3-2 to Benfica.

Roberto Pruzzo, Roma 1984; 42 mins, 1-1: Liverpool win on penalties.

Jari Litmanen, Ajax 1996; 41 mins, 1-1: Juventus win on penalties.

Dirk Kuyt, Liverpool 2007; 89 mins, 2-1 to Milan

Frank Lampard, Chelsea 2008; 45 mins, 1-1: Manchester United win on penalties.

Yannick Carrasco, Atletico de Madrid 2016; 79 mins, 1-1: Real Madrid win on penalties.

The temptation is to call this a list of the "consolation goals" scored in the final but six of them put their team right back in the game. So it's little wonder Erwin Stein of Eintracht Frankfurt - the first man to score a "last goal in the final" for a losing team - had to have two attempts before he succeeded in becoming the only man to score a true consolation goal in the ECCC/UCL final

At Hampden in 1960, Puskas made it 6-1 to Real in the 71st minute; Stein makes it 6-2 in the 72nd. Di Stefano, with almost vindictive contempt, then waltzes straight back up the park, walking in a seventh for Real in the 73d minute, as if to say "fuck your consolation!". But Erwin leaves it a whole two minutes (the crowd must have been bored rigid), before saying "No - you have the cup and the two hat-tricks: We're having the first say in this game and we're having the last: We will have our consolation". Thank you, Glasgow. We have been your support act.

Bloody Germans. I love em.

Four goals in five minutes - two for each side ... in a ten-goal game. With fifteen minutes of the 90 remaining, in a final like that, no-one could be sure it was merely a consolation. But it was. Bloody amazing that in 62 finals it remains the only one. Well done, Erwin.
                        Czibor's goal, incidentally, was one of the greatest European Cup final goals. Around 3:20 in here
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CChGf_DQ9Eg

Comment

Absolute pearler isn't it. Same ground at which he scored in the 1954 World Cup final too - putting Hungary 2-0 up ridiculously early yet also losing that one 3-2.

Barca's other scorer that night, Sandor Kocsis, also played for Hungary in that match but, "despite being top scorer for the tournament, couldn't find the net against the Germans".

And they hudnae lost for four years, ye ken, - thaym Magicul Magyars ... it was like some sort o' miracle ...

Comment

... almost as if to prove it is the showpiece fixture which decides the best of the best - when the final goes to penalties, the shootout has been finished by either a converted pen or a goalkeeper keeping the ball out with his hands ...

Incredibly, it has never even been decided by one of those blasts over the bar or hook past the post ...

... of the eleven European Cup/Champions League finals to be decided by penalties, which five goalkeepers saved the final kick of the shootout?

And which six players converted the final kick?
                            So far, we have;

Saviours: Dudek 2005

Converts: Shevchenko 2007 [WRONG!]

[EDIT: WHAT, in the name of Pierino Prati ...??!! Bloody hell! Sorry, folks - Shevchenko converted the winning pen in 2003, as pointed out by denishurley, above. I can only apologise. Instead of going two years BACK in time from Sheva having the decisive spot-kick saved in Istanbul, I went two years forward, to another Milan final against a team from that bit of England ... instead of a Milan final in the North-West of England. What with Dudek mimicking Grobbelaar and Roma wearing all-white in 84, just as Milan did in 03, 05 and 07 (and more) ... ah, it all just got a bit too much for me ...]
                            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 05-04-2018, 14:37. Reason: now I know why Dr Who has to keep regenerating.

Comment

I'll take the easy ones: Shevchenko 2003, Van Der Sar 2008, Drogba 2012

Comment

Alan Kennedy in 1984, I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                  I'll take the easy ones: Shevchenko 2003, Van Der Sar 2008, Drogba 2012
                                  Every one of those nestling in the bottom corner, seand. Correct, correct and correct again. And don't do yourself down - they all look easy til you have to spot that ball and wait for the ref's signal.

Shevchenko was indeed 2003 - which denishurley pointed out earlier, along with Dudek as the 2005 saviour. Apologies for listing it as 2007 above. My chakras are well dusty at the mo.

Comment

Liverpool must be the answer to my question on all-British contest wins, irrespective of whether you include qualifiers, just from going by their span of success being much broader than any other British club, if we measure it by last 8 appearances, which (without checking) must be close to double figures* and include every decade from the 1960s to the current one except the (Heysel-caused) 90s.

*Apologies, it's 14 QFs, most of which they won, so no fucking wonder they have all the British records stitched up. Amazing achievement.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-04-2018, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                      Alan Kennedy in 1984, I assume.
                                      Yes, Snake - nicely tucked away. The first ever shootout in this final.

And, as Barney famously changed his mind on his run up, I hope you were initially gonnae say Ray Kennedy. No - wait a minute - he was long gone by 84: I hope you were going to say Phil Neal - because he scored final penalties and winners in Rome too.

Comment

Recap:

Saviours; Dudek 2005, Van der Saar 2008 (three to go)

Converts; Kennedy 84, Shevchenko 2003, Drogba 2012 (three to go)

Comment

Liverpool will head to their tenth semi-final in this tournament if they hold on to their lead next week. Can only Milan and Real beat that?

Comment

No, Bayern have won five and lost at least four finals, so they'll be on that list. Juventus have lost about 19 finals as well.

Comment

Barcelona will probably be going through to their 16th semi final next week (they additionally won the competition the one season there wasn't any semi finals). Bayern are looking to qualify for their 19th semi final.

Comment

Manchester United have appeared in 12 semi-finals

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                                  Barcelona will probably be going through to their 16th semi final next week (they additionally won the competition the one season there wasn't any semi finals). Bayern are looking to qualify for their 19th semi final.
                                                  Weren't any semis in 1992-93 either, Zeb. It was also two quarter-final group stages in the first ever season of the officially branded Champions League.

Top team in each group straight through to the final (one-legged semis in 93-94 and then it all went knockout crazy again).

I only point this out because, well, it's the closest my team's ever got to the final.

We finished a whole point behind Marseille. But we hold the record for the biggest ever semi-final humping - 12-4 on agg by Eintracht in 1959-60.

So I cherish the fact that when we equalised in the Velodrome in our penultimate group match of 1992-93, we were just one goal from the final.

The most beautifully fecund 38 minutes of my fitba-supporting life.

Comment

Yes, Snake - nicely tucked away. The first ever shootout in this final.

And, as Barney famously changed his mind on his run up, I hope you were initially gonnae say Ray Kennedy. No - wait a minute - he was long gone by 84: I hope you were going to say Phil Neal - because he scored final penalties and winners in Rome too.
                                                    Alas, no. I genuinely remember it because he briefly played for Colne Dynamoes when I was growing up. The ground was behind my house and I went home and away with them as a teenager until they went bust.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X