• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they meant to be the same picture?

Comment

No, I fucked up, fixed now though, cheers for the heads-up

Comment

page 106: Barcelona were the only team in the 2006 semi-finals who qualified for the 2017-18 event. Arsenal, Villareal and Milan were in the Europa, of whom only Arsenal are still in.

Comment

In 2006, what happened for the first time in a European Cup final?

Comment

A team from London played

Comment

Not that. It's something that could have happened in any of the 50 finals that preceded it but didn't.

Comment

A player was sent off. A big skinny German goalie player.

Comment

A goalie being sent off?

Edit (after Alex). Oh any player being sent off.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                    Liverpool's numbering annoyed me, despite the fact that they had eight of the 1-11 numbers.

This was their starting line-up:

As you can see - and notwithstanding the fact the Liverpool were always somewhat idiosyncratic numbers-wise in their pomp - it's a complete mess. Dudek, Hyypia and Gerrard could be said to have fairly correct numbers for their positions, but Baros doing a Steve Walsh or Paul Warhurst up front and Riise on the left wing are positively hooliganistic.

One of my many foibles is to look at a line-up and determine who would wear which numbers if I came to power and restored 1-11. Here, Liverpool are missing 2, 9 and 11 and have two defenders to sort out (obviously, those with low numbers keep them), so the least worst option is this, I feel.

So, Denis, are you taking the remaining "1-11" players from Liverpool's 2004-05 European squad and fitting them into the squad as best you can or re-numbering the starters who had numbers over 11? (Coz Smicer and Cisse - who eventually came on - are the only subs on the night wearing 1-11 numbers)

Comment

First Sub goalie in the final: Man United (joint with Benfica).
                      First goalie subbed on in the final: Aston Villa (And, again, Jimmy Rimmer's involved).
                      First goalie sent off in the final: (Arsenal).

So I've just shoved a tenner on Claudio Bravo for first goal-scorer in this season's final; a fiver on Ederson (in case Bravo gets sent off, subbed or abducted by aliens after kick-off in Kiev) and a quid on every treble from the four goalies Liverpool could field in their starting line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                        So, Denis, are you taking the remaining "1-11" players from Liverpool's 2004-05 European squad and fitting them into the squad as best you can or re-numbering the starters who had numbers over 11? (Coz Smicer and Cisse - who eventually came on - are the only subs on the night wearing 1-11 numbers)
                        Re-numbering the starters - Carragher 2, Traoré 11 and Xabi Alonso 9.

Comment

Got it. So you're taking the missing numbers and seeing who, of the starters, they could best be applied to. Nice. Sorry - you explained that. Easter - all that chocolate - gets me all distracted (Plus the guy who's been putting together XIs of players at clubs who have never reached the final consisting of players who've played in the final later or previously for other clubs to have played in the final ... has a bit of a cheek being confused)

I remember you told us those crayshee Dutch were the first to start a player in the final with a number over 11 (some fellah called "Cruyff"?). But when did the squad numbers thing come in full pelt in the final?

Comment

Squad numbers were introduced in the Premier League in 1993-94, having been trialled in both domestic cup finals in the previous season, which handily featured Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday in both.

Germany, Italy and Spain followed suit in 1995-96, but it wasn't until 1996-97 that UEFA permitted them. Initially, 25-man squads had to be numbered 1-25, so for example Philippe Albert, who wore 27 for Newcastle domestically, wore 12 in the UEFA Cup.

The 1997 Champions League final featured 11 starters with numbers greater than 11.

Comment

I knew that about the Arsenal Wednesday finals, but how did they trial squad numbers in two one off games? Squad numbers are a season long (or a tournament long) thing, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                ... The 1997 Champions League final featured 11 starters with numbers greater than 11.
                                And I've just looked up the 96 final - Christ, Juve and Ajax both 1-11. What's mental is that it now looks so mental.

Cheers Denis.

I'd just like to point out you've also helped me realise a Scotsman was the first ever to wear 14 in the final.

Dutch - Ajax and Feyenoord - can claim the first 12, 13 and 15; Sergio Pellizzaro of Inter has 17 ...

I'll stop now. Not going up to 25. Half day for the Easter Hols. Plus we've done this before.
                                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 29-03-2018, 13:42. Reason: ... and it'll only end in someone making the "he's made that number 25 jersey his own" joke.

Comment

Can anyone summarize the records that are still held by Maldini and Seedorf in this competition? (We have discussed some before but it would be nice to compile a full list)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      I knew that about the Arsenal Wednesday finals, but how did they trial squad numbers in two one off games? Squad numbers are a season long (or a tournament long) thing, surely.
                                      You would think so. Arsenal actually went back to 1-11 late in 1993-94, but with names on shirts. That was abandoned ahead of 1994-95 as it was reckoned to be too expensive to have, say, a 4, 7 and 11 for Ray Parlour, depending on who else was playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Can anyone summarize the records that are still held by Maldini and Seedorf in this competition? (We have discussed some before but it would be nice to compile a full list)
                                        I've got a couple off the top of my head:

Maldini is still the player with most final appearances, isn't he (maybe jointly with Gento or someone of that ilk)? He's certainly still the oldest goalscorer in a final.

Seedorf's still the only one to win it with three different clubs.

Comment

Some long-winded bore dealt with that one way back on the appropriately-numbered page 6, 3CR:

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                          ... what I love most about the new tennis pro Paolo Maldini, as I move into my dottage and he's forever one year older than me, is that he's the oldest player to score in the European Cup/UCL final - but it was the fastest goal ever scored in the final.

Thirty Six years and 333 days old - bangs one in after 50 seconds: Talk about Early Bird Specials...

Then, after setting that oldster record, he wins his fifth European Cup/UCL ...TWO YEARS LATER. Oldest winning captain ever.

Gento, joint record-holder with Maldini for player with most appearances in the final (eight), is the only man to beat him for total no. of European Cup winner's medals (six) and the two of them, as far as I'm concerned, played respectively in the most sensationally majestic wins in the final - Hampden 1960 and Athens 1994 - and lost in the two most coruscatingly, memorably exciting finals- 1962 and 2005.

But I don't know if Gento ever played out of position in the final with the same sprezzatura Maldini did in 94. The man modelled for Versace but that performance is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen.

They both won the final twice at the same venue - Athens for Maldini, Heysel for Gento - and both lost a final at the Prater/Ernst Happel in Vienna (where Maldini also won one).

They both played all their winning finals in all-white, one of their losing finals not in all-white.

I met Paco Gento outside Glasgow city chambers the same day I accosted Gerd Mueller - the only time I've ever autograph-hunted or tried to meet a player or ex-player simply for the sake of meeting them in my entire life. Lovely bloke. Got his autograph, across an old postcard of the Hampden 1960 side which remains on my wall, and shook his hand.

Maldini? On my only ever visit to the San Siro, he scored Milan's goal against Inter. Another privilege.

Di Stefano, Puskas, Ronaldo and Messi - synonymous with the competition but, Mulholland Drive-style, these are the boys:

Comment

When Liverpool beat Real Madrid in the 1981 European cup final the winning goal was only the fourth goal Real conceded,who was the only club to score twice against them and for super bonus point,the only player to score twice?

Comment

Was that the season they played that Irish side who switched the home leg to Lansdowne Road? Someone posted the footage earlier on this thread and I know Laurie Cunninghame played so it was definitely the same era. Wexford? Waterford? County Wicklow? Something beginning with Wwwwwwww and they definitely scored so ...

Can't name the player or the team but that's my guess.

Comment

On the right track Alex

Comment

S'all I've got mate. I'm spent ...

Comment

Limerick must be the club

No clue as to the player

Comment

Working...
                                                    X