European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
    I can't believe anyone who saw Bernie Slaven at Boro wouldn't know the Messiah had already landed.

Bloody awesome Sid. Awesome.

Pretty sacreligious photo captioning by the Observer there - I detect a heretical subtext.

But I'm starting to think I've found my own spiritual leader - how many finals of this competition have you been to exactly?

I talk the talk but have attended one solitary showpiece showdown. And that was when it was close enough for me to have walked from my flat to the turnstiles in the space of 90 minutes.

You seem to have got to the stage where you couldn't give away spare tickets and didn't mind if you missed the ocasional Real Madrid coronation - while in the stadium ' through drink.

Did you not tell me once you were at the 94 final ... my fav football performance of all time? Give us your final stats and I'll give you my soul oh holy father ...
    1992 - Wembley - I remember seeing a ticket agency on Tottenham Court Road with tickets at 50 quid the week before. I was skint. I did not go.
    1993 - Munich - mid point of a two week, 12 game, 7 country trip to Katowice and back
    1994 - Sadly not
    1995 - Vienna - another long trip with a diversion to Rostock and just the 10 games and 5 countries
    1996 - Rome - In and out for this one
    1997 - Munich again then Katowice again
    1998 - Amsterdam, just one night, saving my holiday for the 14 games at France '98
    1999 - Barcelona - then on to Sofia. 9 games. Barcelona to Sofia is a long way, I can confirm.
    2000 - Paris - but you knew that, again 14 games at Euro 2000 so just a one nighter
    2001 - Milan - In and out again
    2002 - Glasgow - That goal and the Proclaimers on the back of a van. Followed by 18 games in Japan/Korea
    2003 - Manchester - On the way home from England in S Africa
    2004 - Gelsenkirchen - My last one.
    2005 - Istanbul - I had a ticket for this but England were playing two friendlies in America the following weekend and I couldn't face Istanbul again after the England game in 2003 ( we were banned and getting in to that one is a story for another thread)

After that, well ebay made it impossible. Millions applied for every ballot, everyone turned in to a tout. I had a train booked for Paris in 2006 but didn't bother going when I couldn't find a ticket. Athens 2007, well Liverpool being there was always going to make that impossible, 2008 Moscow - two English teams, I gave up.

So, 11 finals in 12 seasons. Not a bad record.

Comment

Christ Sid, you needed to use the 'the cat's up playing on the roof' approach there. He's going to go into deep shock at that, he might never recover.

Comment

"18 games in Japan/Korea" - can you list them? That's 28.125% of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          "18 games in Japan/Korea" - can you list them? That's 28.125% of the tournament.
          Saitama Sweden v England
          Ulsan Brazil v Turkey
          Busan S Korea v Poland
          Suwon USA v Portugal
          Sapporo England v Argentina
          Ibaraki Italy v Croatia
          Miyagi Mexico v Ecuador
          Oita Tunisia v Belgium
          Shizuoka Cameroon v Germany
          Osaka England v Nigeria
          Yokohama Ecuador v Croatia
          Shizuoka Belgium v Russia
          Niigata England v Denmark
          Oita Sweden v Senegal
          Jeonju Mexico v USA
          Daejeon S Korea v Italy
          Shizuoka England v Brazil
          Osaka Senegal v Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
            1992 - Wembley - I remember seeing a ticket agency on Tottenham Court Road with tickets at 50 quid the week before. I was skint. I did not go.
            1993 - Munich - mid point of a two week, 12 game, 7 country trip to Katowice and back
            1994 - Sadly not
            1995 - Vienna - another long trip with a diversion to Rostock and just the 10 games and 5 countries
            1996 - Rome - In and out for this one
            1997 - Munich again then Katowice again
            1998 - Amsterdam, just one night, saving my holiday for the 14 games at France '98
            1999 - Barcelona - then on to Sofia. 9 games. Barcelona to Sofia is a long way, I can confirm.
            2000 - Paris - but you knew that, again 14 games at Euro 2000 so just a one nighter
            2001 - Milan - In and out again
            2002 - Glasgow - That goal and the Proclaimers on the back of a van. Followed by 18 games in Japan/Korea
            2003 - Manchester - On the way home from England in S Africa
            2004 - Gelsenkirchen - My last one.
            2005 - Istanbul - I had a ticket for this but England were playing two friendlies in America the following weekend and I couldn't face Istanbul again after the England game in 2003 ( we were banned and getting in to that one is a story for another thread)

After that, well ebay made it impossible. Millions applied for every ballot, everyone turned in to a tout. I had a train booked for Paris in 2006 but didn't bother going when I couldn't find a ticket. Athens 2007, well Liverpool being there was always going to make that impossible, 2008 Moscow - two English teams, I gave up.

So, 11 finals in 12 seasons. Not a bad record.

... Hi, I'm one of the two ambulance men recently called to an incident in a Glasgow flat which saw one man suffering from dehydration, malnutrition and serious patella trauma after repeatedly genuflecting and incanting the words "11 in 12 seasons, Sid is the saviour; 11 in 12 seasons, Sid is the saviour" for around 15 hours to an open laptop which had long since ran out of battery.

We were contacted by the downstairs neighbours who broke in after their bathroom was flooded by the same man who had apparently been in the middle of running a bath when something on this chat room instigated his psychotic episode. He's been placed in a secure unit for his own good as anytime he was asked what would make him better he just said "tickets for the next dozen Champions League finals" (And, obviously, no-one gets tickets for the Champions League final - clearly deranged) and demanded to see his priest (a father Slaven of Cliftonhill?).

We understand your community values its privacy but, please, some of your members are clearly deeply vulnerable. Putting such notions in their heads is criminally negligent.

I mean how can anyone forget what happened when David Koresh told the Branch Davidians he'd been to 28.625% of the games at Italia 90??!!

Comment

Just as well I didn't mention the Cup Winners Cup Finals

Comment

Finals? Just using the plural is enough, Sid. My only Cup-Winners' Cup game ever was the last ever. And Villa Park was the furthest I travelled for any of the European club finals. One ECCC/UCL final and one UEFA Cup final, both at Hampden. Then the following year's UEFA Cup final at the City of Manchester stadium for which I was guaranteed a face value ticket anyway.

One solitary World Cup finals match - Germany v Costa Rica opener 2006 which I landed in the FIFA random ballot barely 48 hours earlier and had to fly from Prestwick to that one that's called Frankfurt but is about as close to Frankfurt as Prestwick is to Ibrox, and then catch an overnight train to Mannheim, change at Mannheim and down to Munich for 8 am-ish on the day of the game (The DFB's HQ town to the birthplace of Sepp Herberger and then the city where Germany won its only major trophy on home soil - all very poetic I thought ... but still just one game).

Did six group games, two quarters, a semi and the final at Euro 96 but - again - that was on the doorstep and no-one in England seemed that interested in buying tickets to watch anyone other than England.

The most exotic place I've seen Scotland is Pittodrie. Wembley is more a biological certainty than an away trip for Scots but even then I've seen Scotland at Wembley only once more than Germany. And while I've seen the Mets at Shea, the Cubs at Wrigley and the Blue Jays at the Sky Dome, I have never seen a soccer match outside Europe. And apart from the odd Euro trip with the Teds and a dozen or so randoms in the English top 5 leagues, I've managed the Czech top flight, the Danish, La Liga, Serie A, Serie B and the top three tiers in Germany - all one game each. Just one each.

Much as I deride it as unworthy of being considered a "European trophy" or "continental competition" I would like to get the Super Cup final done before I die. But, inevitably, the once will do me. Just like I've been to every league ground in Scotland, every junior ground in Ayrshire region and am fucking delighted we have Israel and Albania coming to Hampden in the UEFA Nations League (never seen either) but have zero interest in seeing Costa Rica again, at Hampden, this Friday.

This is all probably explaining why I talk about European finals so much and get off on the Euro experiences of others. While I have this strange thing of seeing European finalists in the flesh, I never seem to make the finals themselves.

So - yeah - please. Bring on the Cup Winners Cup finals, Sid - I need it, man. I just gots to know.

Comment

Comment

Positive goal differences in all final appearances by club, first by decade then all-time, according to a quick count:

1956-60: Real Madrid 18-8

1961-70: Milan 6-2, Man U 4-1, Feyenoord 2-1, Inter 5-3

1971-80: Ajax 5-0, Liverpool 4-1, Bayern 8-1, Nottm Forest 2-0

1981-90: Milan 5-0, Porto 2-1, Hamburg 1-0, Villa 1-0

1991-2000: Barcelona 1-0, Milan 4-2, Real Madrid 4-0, Dortmund 3-1, Ajax 2-1, Marseille 1-0, Man U 2-1.

2001-10: Real Madrid 2-1, Barcelona 4-1, Inter 2-0, Porto 3-0, Milan 5-4

2011-17: Barcelona 6-2, Real Madrid 9-3, Bayern Munich 3-2

ALL-TIME (minimum 5 finals): Real Madrid 39-22, Milan 22-11, Barcelona 13-10, Bayern 14-11, Ajax 8-5, Liverpool 10-8, [Man U 8-8]
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-03-2018, 01:25.

Comment

In the above photo, Stefan Effenberg and Mehmet Scholl are giving serious facial hints as to how their respective penalty attempts will go on the night.

Comment

Effenberg only won 35 caps, supposedly for disciplinary reasons, maybe as Karma for this mullet:

Comment

I thought it was cos he was such an arrogant prick that even Germany's other arrogant pricks of the time like Basler, Möller and Matthäus thought he was taking it too far.

Comment

Exactly

Comment

In September 1991, Cork City played Bayern in the UEFA Cup and drew the first leg 1-1, City put ahead by legendary dual Gaelic football and real football player, Dave Barry.

Barry had only turned 30 two days beforehand but always suffered from shy hairline (see photo) and after the game, Effenberg said that he looked like his father. Barry countered by saying that Effenberg had played like his mother.

Incidentally, City were semi-pro at the time and Barry worked as a plumber. If everyone who claimed he did work in their house on the morning of the game was to be believed, Cork was in the grip of one of the great all-time water shortages.

Comment

No - up yours, Stef.

So even though he was dumped by Berti before the Bulgaria game, he'd already taken one to the nads from the Yordan Letchkov of Cork.

Nicely done, Dave Barry. One does not fuck with the GAA chaps.

Comment

Mind you, there was absolutely no way he was missing either of his pens at the San Siro in the 2001 final. In some situations a colossaly arrogant tosspot is just the man for the job.
                                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-03-2018, 20:44. Reason: One that can spell colossally, for example.

Comment

All your quarter-final draw news:

Next month Sevilla could take their city into its first ever semi but, until Betis get their act together, and despite the fact we could still have two new clubs in the 2018 final, there will be only updates - no additions - to this list this season:

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                    Cities to provide more than one European Cup/Champions League semi-finalist.

Belgrade:

Red Star Belgrade; 1956-57 (lost to Fiorentina), 1970-71 (lost to Panathinaikos), 1990-91 (beat Bayern Munich), 1991-92* (finished second in their last eight group, two points behind Sampdoria).

Partizan Belgrade; 1965-66 (beat Man United)#

Bucharest:

Dinamo Bucharest; 1983-84 (lost to Liverpool).

Steaua Bucharest; 1985-86 (beat Anderlecht), 1987-88 (lost to Benfica), 1988-89 (beat Galatasaray).

Budapest:

Vasas Budapest; 1957-58 (lost to Real Madrid).

Újpest Dózsa; 1973-74 (lost to Bayern Munich).

Dundee:

Dundee; 1962-63 (lost to Milan).

Dundee United; 1983-84 (lost to AS Roma).

Glasgow:

Rangers; 1959-60 (lost to Eintracht Frankfurt), 1992-93* (finished second in their last eight group, one point behind Marseille).

Celtic; 1966-67 (beat Dukla Prague), 1969-70 (beat Leeds United), 1971-72 (Lost to Internazionale), 1973-74 (lost to Atletico Madrid).

London:

Tottenham Hotspur; 1961-62 (lost to Benfica).

Chelsea; 2003-04 (lost to AS Monaco), 2004-05 (lost to Liverpool), 2006-07 (lost to Liverpool), 2007-08 (beat Liverpool), 2008-09 (lost to Barcelona), 2011-12 (beat Barcelona), 2012-14 (lost to Atletico Madrid).

Arsenal; 2005-06 (beat Villarreal), 2008-09 (lost to Man United).

Madrid:

Real Madrid; 1955-56 (beat Milan), 1956-57 (beat Man United), 1957-58 (beat Vasas Budapest), 1958-59 (beat Atletico Madrid), 1959-60 (beat Barcelona), 1961-62 (beat Standard Liege), 1963-64 (beat FC Zurich), 1965-66 (beat Internazionale), 1967-68 (lost to Man United), 1972-73 (lost to Ajax), 1975-76 (lost to Bayern Munich), 1979-80 (lost to HSV), 1980-81 (beat Internazionale), 1986-87 (lost to Bayern Munich), 1987-88 (lost to PSV Eindhoven), 1988-89 (lost to Milan), 1997-98 (beat Borussia Dortmund), 1999-2000 (beat Bayern Munich), 2000-01 (lost to Bayern Munich), 2001-02 (beat Barcelona), 2002-03 (lost to Juventus), 2010-11 (lost to Barcelona), 2011-12 (lost to Bayern Munich), 2012-13 (lost to Borussia Dortmund), 2013-14 (beat Bayern Munich), 2014-15 (lost to Juventus), 2015-16 (beat Manchester City) , 2016-17 (beat Atletico Madrid).

Atletico Madrid; 1958-59 (lost to Real Madrid), 1970-71 (lost to Ajax), 1973-74 (beat Celtic), 2013-14 (beat Chelsea), 2015-16 (beat Bayern Munich ), 2016-17 (lost to Real Madrid).

Manchester:

Manchester United; 1956-57 (lost to Real Madrid), 1957-58 (lost to Milan), 1965-66 (lost to Partizan Belgrade), 1967-68 (beat Real Madrid), 1968-69 (lost to Milan), 1996-97 (lost to Borussia Dortmund), 1998-99 (beat Juventus), 2001-02 (lost to Bayer Leverkusen), 2006-07 (lost to Milan), 2007-08 (beat Barcelona), 2008-09 (beat Arsenal), 2010-11 (beat Schalke 04).

Manchester City; 2015-16 (lost to Real Madrid).

Milan:

Milan; 1955-56 (lost to Real Madrid), 1957-58 (beat Man United), 1962-63 (beat Dundee), 1968-69 (beat Man United ), 1988-89 (beat Real Madrid), 1989-90 (beat Bayern Munich), 1992-93* (finished top of their last eight group, six points ahead of second-placed IFK Gothenburg), 1993-94 (beat AS Monaco), 1994-95 (beat Paris Saint-Germain), 2002-03 (beat Internazionale), 2004-05 (beat PSV Eindhoven), 2005-06 (lost to Barcelona), 2006-07 (beat Man United).

Internazionale; 1963-64 (beat Borussia Dortmund), 1964-65 (beat Liverpool), 1965-66 (lost to Real Madrid), 1966-67 (beat CSKA Sofia), 1971-72 (beat Celtic), 1980-81 (lost to Real Madrid), 2002-03 (lost to Milan), 2009-10 (beat Barcelona).

[Prague*]

Dukla Prague; 1966-67 (lost to Celtic)

Sparta Prague*; 1991-92* (finished second in their last eight group, three points behind Barcelona).

Vienna:

Rapid Vienna; 1960-61 (lost to Benfica).

Austria Vienna; 1978-79 (lost to Malmö FF).

====================================

* In 1991-92, the last season of the European Cup was a dry run for the group format and as per, 1992-93’s first season of the Champions League brand, there were no semi-finals. It’s up to you if you want to count the second-placed team in those groups as losing semi-finalists but, as the plethora of asterisks around Sparta indicates, if you don’t Prague doesn’t get in to this world-renowned, highly respected, critically lionised appendix.

To sway you, all I can say is that in Rangers’ case, one more goal in the last 40 minutes of their 1992-93 game in Marseille’s Stade Velodrome – the second last group game – would have put Marseille out and Rangers in the final. That was a hell of a lot closer than they got to the final at any point during their 12-4 aggregate doing in 1959-60's official Last Four.

Yeah, I'd love to see el clasico in Kiev - it's what the entire history of European club competition has been pointing to.

Yeah, it's more stunning that Real and Bayern have yet to meet in the final, seeing as that's the most common fixture in the history of the ECCC/UCL.

But - nah - fuck all that: Only thing I care about when the quarter-final draw is made is that Scotland is still joint with England* as the only countries with two cities each to have provided at least two C1 semi-finalists.

*(yeah, yeah, yeah; I know London - on three - beats Dundee and Glasgow's pairs but Man City only brought England to the party 32 years after Dundee United sealed the deal for Scotland).
                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 22-03-2018, 12:39. Reason: Not the first time the scudetto was worn in anger on that street

Comment

FRIDAY QUIZ - This week brought to you in association with the Museum of Jerseys, official partner of the OTF European Cup Trivia Thread.

We remember Cardiff last year, right? Juventus, in their traditional black and white stripes, were skelped by Real Madrid in purple (though I personally saw it as all-violet). And most of us here probably also remember Real Madrid in all-black, skelping Valencia in the 2000 final (especially those of us who saw the picture posted by jwdd27 on the previous page).

But did you know Real also lost the 1962 final in a more blue-ish version of their neither-purple-nor-violet Cardiff kit? Or that they lost the 1964 final, versus Inter, in their traditional all-white?

So, can you tell me ...

(1) The eleven clubs other than Real Madrid to have won the European Cup/Champions League final in a change/away kit,

(2) The six years in which both sides contested the final in change/away kits,

(3) The four clubs who played and lost their only final in change/away kits,

(4) The four clubs other than Real Madrid to have both won and lost finals in both their home and change/away kits?

*For the porpoises of this dolphin, teams altering their shorts - as per Bayern in 1987 - or wearing random socks or having a special trim or commemorative one-off legend on their shirt does not constitute a change/away strip. If that season's home shirt is obviously gone, it's a change/away strip.

And remember, folks, for all your kit needs - home, away or mash-up - pop on down to Museum of Jerseys. "It's not a building full of old stuff in St Helier"
                                      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 23-03-2018, 12:28. Reason: DENIS HURLEY inspired this question but is barred from participating in it til the lock-in

Comment

Can't bear two hours of silence for what is a decent quiz, so I'll start the ball rolling with

[2] 1992

[3] Arsenal, Brugge, Sampdoria

Comment

1. Juventus in their starry-shouldered blue one?

Comment

Correct gents. Ball is gently rolling in the right direction.

Comment

1 - AC Milan obviously with their thing about playing finals in white shirts, Steaua in '86, Man U wore blue in '68 didn't they?

Comment

1. Barcelona won in the hideous orange kit against Sampdoria (in their white away shirt?) in 1992

Comment

4. I'm guessing one is Bayern (they lost in their away kit in '99) and they've certainly won and lost in their home kit.

Comment

The urge to type answers is killing me

Comment

Working...
                                                    X