No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That will be Vardar Skopje. They were originally awarded the Yugoslav title one season after half of the league was deducted points for matchfixing. However the deductions were eventually overturned, but by that point Vardar were already entered into the European Cup.

Comment

Is it the result of that wacky Yugoslav season when Partizan won the title, had it stripped, and then re-instated?

Vardar Skopje?

Comment

Ah, so I guess it is

Comment

Yes, excellent trivial knowledge Zeb and ursus. Poor Vardar,,, first and only Yugoslav title and it was whipped away in the courts a few weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Not Thierry Henry?
            Nope, it's way before him. There are a few clues (as to the nationality & identity of our mystery man) in my previous post, particularly lines 6 & 7.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              This thread seems to have spawned a potential WSC article for the future. Except that it is on which is the biggest English team never to have played in any of the three major European competitions. Current leaders are Sheffield Utd and Crystal Palace.

And Huddersfield
              Article? We could get an entire edition out of this thread, with Alex as guest editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev7 View Post
                Nope, it's way before him. There are a few clues (as to the nationality & identity of our mystery man) in my previous post, particularly lines 6 & 7.
                I'll give another clue as I have to go pretty pronto and won't be back here for a while (leaving to The Canaries on Monday for 10 days):

he was a German midfielder (still alive), late 1960s and 1970s.

And as I wrote in post #1460, "he is not an obvious candidate for such a "record", or near record as it were." = not a striker and particularly internationally famous. (in)famous in France though… he scored a crucial free-kick agst a French team that was deemed a little devious afterwards as, according to various French media and players later - notably J-M Larqué in a book he wrote a few years ago I think - this German player didn't wait for the referee to whistle before he took the free-kick (or before a team-mate of his rolled the ball to him, I think it was an indirect free-kick, can't quite remember), as had been agreed before the game. He took it, the wall/keeper wasn't quite ready apparently and he scored the winning goal. Still rankles with the then manager of said French team.

Comment

That’s Franz Roth, but he has two goals in C1 Finals and one in a C2 Final (which Alex will recall with sorrow)

Comment

Alex will be having Roth Wrath.

Comment

How many players apart from Roth had a gap of 8 years or more between goals in European finals, albeit different cups?

Comment

And another potentially interesting question.... which are the most geographicaly extreme clubs (i.e. most northern, southern, western and eastern) to have taken part in European competition, and in C1 in particular?

Comment

Western and Northern must be one of the Icelandic ones. Or Tromso for Northern. Eastern either a Kazakh or Russian team. Southern could be interesting. Have Tenerife ever qualified for Europe?
                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-12-2017, 09:56.

Comment

Tenerife played in the UEFA Cup twice in the 1990s, reaching the semi finals in 1996-97.

Comment

The most southern is going to be an Israeli club, isn't it? Hapoel Be'er Sheva?

Comment

Tenerife is further south than any part of Israel. Estadio Heliodoro Rodriguez Lopez has a latitude of 28° 27' N. The most southerly point of Israel is 29° 29' N, about seventy miles further north.

Comment

Just ignore me from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                    Tenerife is further south than any part of Israel. Estadio Heliodoro Rodriguez Lopez has a latitude of 28° 27' N. The most southerly point of Israel is 29° 29' N, about seventy miles further north.
                                    What about Las Palmas, have they ever played in Europe?

What about Vladivostok or a team from Siberia for the most eastern?

Comment

Yes. Las Palmas played in the UEFA Cup. West of Tenerife, isn't it? And Madeira.

Comment

Las Palmas played once in the Fairs Cup and twice in the UEFA Cup, between 1969 and 1978. Their old ground was at 28° 07' N, so about 20 miles further south than Tenerife.

Lunch Energiya Vladivostok's best finish in Russia was seventh in 2006, eight points off qualifying for Europe.

I suspect the most easterly team will be Kazakh - there have been few Siberian clubs in the Russian top flight, and even those that have been there have tended to be just past the Uralic.

Comment

I think that the easternmost Russian club to have played in Europe is Sibir Novosibirsk, which has only enjoyed a couple of seasons in the top flight, but qualified for the 2010-11 Europa League as losing Cup finalists in a season when Zenit did the double.

Novosibirsk is at 82° 57′ 0″ E.

The traditional Kazakh power Kairat, from Almaty, have played in Europe on quite a few occasions (including in the Champions League) and are the easternmost "big" team in the country. Almaty is at 76° 53′ 45″ E.
                                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 17-12-2017, 21:45.

Comment

Is Tromso also the coldest ground? I recall Chelsea playing this game there on live telly

https://thesetpieces.com/features/ch...ctic-blizzard/

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              I think that the easternmost Russian club to have played in Europe is Sibir Novosibirsk, which has only enjoyed a couple of seasons in the top flight, but qualified for the 2010-11 Europa League as losing Cup finalists in a season when Zenit did the double.

Novosibirsk is at 82° 57′ 0″ E.

The traditional Kazakh power Kairat, from Almaty, have played in Europe on quite a few occasions (including in the Champions League) and are the likely winners here, as they are the easternmost "big" team in the country. Almaty is at 76° 53′ 45″ E.
                                              How does that compare to the Urals? I'm sure there's a team from Ekaterinaburg(?sp) that played oin Europe.

Comment

Uralmesh Yekaterinburg only played in Europe once, reaching the semi finals of the Intertoto Cup in 1996. It's a long way west of Novosibirsk (60° 35'E compared to 82° 57'E).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  Article? We could get an entire edition out of this thread, with Alex as guest editor.
                                                  Cheers, Walt but editors are supposed to trim the word count ...

================================================== ======================================
                                                  ================================================== ======================================

================================================== =====================================
                                                  ================================================== =====================================
                                                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-04-2018, 11:26. Reason: It's page 60

Comment

I love it when you go off-thread for a couple days (was falling behind on my hate mail to Franz Roth - those dog turds won't envelope themselves ye know), go straight to the last page and find the conversation's gone off through more tangents than a Ronnie Corbett monologue.

A whole load of longitudes and latitudes of various European fitba grounds. Two seconds of thinking "fuck are they on about" and then it's "surely Vladivostock's had a decent side at some point since the mid-1950's ..."

You don't have to be mad to work here ...
                                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 17-12-2017, 21:40. Reason: He only got one cap for Germany. That tells you he's a jammy bastard. AND the final was in Nuremberg ... fucking BAVARIA!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X