Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porto - Boavista have been to Anfield in the CL

Comment

Copenhagen is one (Brondby and Copenhagen).

Sofia is not one if we're just in CL era, only Levski have made it. Ditto Zurich (no Grasshoppers).

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        Porto - Boavista have been to Anfield in the CL
        Sake. That was on 9/11 and I went to it! My memory is as leaky as a defence featuring Alberto Moreno.

Comment

Ok… TRL has picked off the three 3-team cities
          1. London (Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs)
          2. Moscow (Spartak/CSKA/Lokomotiv)
          3. Istanbul (Gala/Besiktas/Fener)
          And
          1. Madrid (Real/Atletico)
          2. Seville (Sevilla/Betis)
          3. Manchester (United/City)
          4. Milan (AC/Inter)
          5. Rome (Roma/Lazio)
          6. Glasgow (Celtic/Rangers)
          7. Athens (Pana/AEK)
          8. Lisbon (Benfica/Sporting)
          9. Vienna (Rapid/Austria)

Though his carpet-bombing erroneously took out Turin / Budapest / Barceona / Munich / Genoa / Bucharest / Sofia

Adhoc adds 10. Prague (Sparta/Slavia)
          Rogin ticks of 11. Porto (Porto/Boavista)
          Jwdd takes out 12. Copenhagen (Copenhagen/Brondby) and sort of 13. Zurich – Grasshoppers played in the groups 95-6 and 96-7, FC Zurich 09-10

Belgrade is the 14th two-team city, leaving one more to be found.................

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
            Ok…
            Though his carpet-bombing erroneously took out Turin / Budapest / Barceona / Munich / Genoa / Bucharest / Sofia.
            What’s a bit of collateral damage when serious trivia is concerned.

It’s Tel Aviv, isn’t it?

Comment

Tel-Aviv (Maccabi/Hapoel) taken out with the accuracy of an IDF anti-terror strike to finish us off!

Comment

Ah, must be. Maccabi and Hapoel. Been driving me mad that one. My next suggestion was going to be Graz, I'm sure Liverpool played AK once but I don't know if Sturm have ever been in CL.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-08-2018, 11:20.

Comment

Liverpool played Grazer AK in the qualifiers, they've noever played in the groups but Sturm have

Comment

I discovered yesterday that fully 13 of the 16 participants currently in the Israeli second tier are Hapoel clubs (the remainder being one Maccabi, one Beitar and one "unaffiliated")

Comment

A question I threw out on Twitter today in the wake of Celtic and Rosenborg being in the same EL group, but for one which an answer wasn't forthcoming:

Have two clubs ever met each other in two different European competitions in the same season? Obviously, the chances have grown bit by bit since teams knocked out of the CL were given the Uefa Cup parachute, but perhaps it happened with the Super Cup and one other?

Comment

Well Super Cup plus Champions Cup has more than a few I'd expect. Liverpool v Juventus in 1984-85 straight to mind.

Comment

I thought we had all agreed that Super Cups don't count.

Comment

No, that was before Atletico stuck it up Real this year. You must have missed that memo.

Comment

I've got up to page 60 in this thead, and it's fascinating. I don't know which page it's on now, but I would like to say that the person who suggested that Villareal is suburb of Castellón is wrong: they're about 8 road kms apart. It would be broadly similar to saying that Bolton is a suburb of Manchester.

Comment

I don't know the answer to this but since what season has UEFA insisted that European finals are stand-alone occasions: that is, that no domestic league or cup matches should be played at the same time/day as one of their big events?

I ask because in 1995, on May 10, while Zaragoza were beating Arsenal, Manchester United were doing the same to Southampton. They were both on the telly (two different tellies, natch!) in a pub in Cardiff where I was having a pint or three. And guess which game was getting more attention?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The Copa Del Rey Final is likely to become a Wanda Metropolitano thing.

The current RFEF will never put it in Catalunya for fear of anti-Royal demonstrations and Madrid is much more central than Sevilla.
                                  And it will be a long time, I suspect, before Spain play a home international in Catalunya. As for the Basque Country, Spain's other political hotspot, Bilbao is one of the venues for Euro 2020, so it might get to host Spain.

Comment

As someone who first attended a Liga match in 1983, it is interesting to see how Catalunya has replaced the Basque Country as a “no go” area for La Roja.

On your earlier query, while I don’t have conclusive proof, my sense is that it became a “rule” in the Champions League after the Final was moved to the weekend. Before that, it wasn’t unheard of for the league programme to extend after the Final. Just to pick an example at random, this happened in 2009, when Barcelona beat Manchester United on Wednesday night at the Olimpico in Rome and then returned home, playing their last match of a title-winning season on Sunday in A Coruña. It just didn’t happen that leagues scheduled mid-week matches that late in their season at that time, so clashes didn’t have to be legislated against.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                      Good question Sean - if that doesn't bring Alex back from partial retirement then I don't know what will.
                                      Looks like he's (Alex) been away setting Pointless questions. Teams that have scored more Champions League goals than Cristiano Ronaldo. Just then.

Comment

Have we had the question of the two cities to have had three teams in the Champions League in the same season?

Comment

I don’t think so.

Moscow is one: CSKA, Spartak and Dynamo. There may even have been another year when the 3d club was Lokomotiv.

My guess for the other is Istanbul

Comment

London - Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham?

Comment

London is correct.

I'm highly reluctant to say this given past performance but, from my info, both of UA's suggestions are wrong.

Comment

I'll guess Athens.

Comment

An absolute shot in the dark because any other feasible answer has already been taken - Lisbon?
                                                  Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 17-10-2018, 06:47.

Comment

I think it's going to have to be Athens. It does rely on Piraeus being considered part of Athens and not a separate city mind you.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X