European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    So, what of Víctor Benítez, Peru, for Milan in '63? Is he in?
    YES! The net is closing.

Comment

I'm not sure just how Alex is treating the former Yugoslavs, but how about Stefan Savić for Montenegro?

He's never played for another country, and was less than ten when they became independent.

Comment

On a completely unrelated topic - just off the top of my head, like ... merely thinking out loud here ... isn't it amazing to think James Rodriguez never played in a Champions League final ... and that Matthias Sammer and Ulf Kirsten both played for the DFB as well as for what were once considered "West German" clubs in the Champions League final ...

Anyway - back to the question in hand:
        Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 16:01. Reason: almost done

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I'm not sure just how Alex is treating the former Yugoslavs, but how about Stefan Savić for Montenegro?

He's never played for another country, and was less than ten when they became independent.
          Case in point, ursus. I'm treating him and Savicevic as Montenegrins who played in the final. I know Savicevic didn't ever play for an independent Montenegro but did manage Serbia & Montenegro and then became president of the Montenegrin FA. This is why I find it so hard to categorise all these pre-1991 guys as purely Yugoslav.

Comment

As it stands:

Mario Lemina – Gabon – Juventus 2017
            Keylor Navas - Costa Rica – Real Madrid 2016 and 2017
            Arturo Vidal – Chile – Juventus 2015
            Park Ji-Sung – South Korea – Man United 2009 and 2011
            Antonio Valencia – Ecuador – Man United 2011
            Alexander Hleb – Belorussia - Arsenal 2006
            Harry Kewell - Australia - Liverpool 2005 and 2007
            Dmitri Alenichev – Russia – Porto 2004
            Benni McCarthy – South Africa – Porto 2004
            Shabani Nonda - DRC – AS Monaco 2004
            Kakha Kaladze – Georgia - Milan 2003 and 2007
            Dwight Yorke – Trinidad and Tobago - Man United 1999
            Vata (Matanu Garcia) – Angola – Benfica 1990
            Rabah Madjer – Algeria – Porto 1987
            Bruce Grobbelaar – Rhodesia and Zimbabwe – Liverpool 1984 and 85
            Massimo Bonini - San Marino – Juventus 1983 and 1985
            Victor Benitez – Peru – Milan 1963

Three to go: One "wow!", one "fair enough - never heard of him" and a "Fuck off - not having that".
            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 16:14. Reason: and probably about 30 I've missed ...

Comment

OK, I've got a really obscure one. Hajry Redouane, in one of his handful of appearances for Benfica, came on as a sub in the 1988 final.

Edit: he's Moroccan.

Comment

Juan Cuadrado came off the bench for Juventus in Cardiff so that rules out James.

Is David Alaba the only Austrian?

Comment

I was thinking Belgium briefly.... not many at all given their strength but Eric Gerets and Yannick Carasco for two. None of the rest of the current golden generation have been there I think

Comment

Thought I'd got one of the missing ones, but McDonald Mariga (Kenya) didn't come off the bench for Inter in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bones View Post
                      Juan Cuadrado came off the bench for Juventus in Cardiff so that rules out James.
                      No it doesn't, Bill. James has, rather amazingly, never played in the final - never got off the bench for Real in 2016. The 12 minutes Juan Cuadrado lasted on the pitch for Juventus at Cardiff this year is, even more amazingly, the only time a Colombian has played in the final.

I'm now going to duck as I hear the objections re Di Stefano ...

Originally posted by Bill Bones View Post
                      Is David Alaba the only Austrian?
                      No - you had Franz Hasil who played for Feyenoord back in 1970 and Eduard Krieger for Brugge in 1978 - Ernst Happel manager on both occasions but didn't go for a countryman in his HSV side of 83.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                        OK, I've got a really obscure one. Hajry Redouane, in one of his handful of appearances for Benfica, came on as a sub in the 1988 final.

Edit: he's Moroccan.
                        CORRECT.

Hajry Redouane of Morocco came on for Benfica with 8 minutes of extra time remaining of the 1988 final against PSV in Stuttgart. Scored in the shoot-out.

Well done, Flynnie. Belter.

JUST ONE TO GO (clues have been given - recently ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                          Thought I'd got one of the missing ones, but McDonald Mariga (Kenya) didn't come off the bench for Inter in 2010.
                          Yeah - he'd have been a cracker, Zeb. There's a few like that - the aforementioned so-far unrepresented (on't pitch) Japanese and Paraguayan contingents for example. And, of course, Australians, Chileans and Claudio Pizarros not getting off the bench to ruin it for Harry Kewell, Arturo Vidal and The Rabbit.
                          Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 18:36. Reason: swings and roundabouts, really. And benches. Mostly benches.

Comment

I've lost the thread here but I'm wondering is it not something easy and wtf like is Boniek the only Pole or Stoichkov the only Bulgar?

Comment

Something like that. ... but Berbatov at Dortmund and tens of Poles

Comment

Lewandowski started and lost a final for BvB Dortmund in a team that featured two other Poles.

Berbatov came on as a sub for Manchester United the first time they lost to Barcelona.

Comment

Recall that the missing answer is expected to engender the "Fuck off - not having that" response

Comment

Karembeau of New Caledonia?

Comment

I sure as hell hope not.

Joceyln Angloma has at least played official matches for Guadeloupe.

Comment

Is it Seydour Keita for Mali?

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                          I was thinking Belgium briefly.... not many at all given their strength but Eric Gerets and Yannick Carasco for two. None of the rest of the current golden generation have been there I think
                                          Club Brugge made the final in 1977 so that’s Belgium sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            I sure as hell hope not.

Joceyln Angloma has at least played official matches for Guadeloupe.
                                            Shit. Angloma. Just took him as France. Forgot about the Guadeloupe thing. Saw him en route to two of his two finals too - at Ibrox for both Marseille and Valencia. That's maybe the mistake I promised. Di Stefano's Colombia career wasn't recognised by FIFA so I'm sticking by Juan Cuadrado.

But my unilaterally decided (and comprehended) criteria for the FYR republics might make the final player all the more infuriating ...

Right. I'm scared about this. But - as ursus clears up everyone else's incorrect guesses, shortly before he throttles me - any more final guesses based on that last convoluted clue?

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'm guessing that Nachtweih is the "no, not having that one" answer as that's what West Germany said to him, therefore he was in some kind of international purgatory as he couldn't go back to the east. Technically you could consider him a footballer of NO NATIONALITY.

Am I close?

Comment

Norbert Nachtweih, East Germany, played the whole of the 1987 final for Bayern Munich in Vienna against Porto.

He is, 3 Colours - he is the "fuck off" answer but ... right! - okay! Come on, lads - settle down - we've all had a few drinks [who threw that??!! Spitting ??!!- at your age, ursus??!! ... that's out of order!] ... listen ... just hear me out:

I'm considering him the only purely,solely, as-far-as-football-was-concerned, DDR national - and international, at U-21 level - to have played in the final. His defection seals it for me.

From Wiki:

"Even though he was one of the best German footballers in the 1980s, FIFA formalities forbade a career in the West German national team, as he had previously appeared with East Germany."

I know, Sammer and Kirsten (maybe others I've missed) played for both the DDR and the "re-unified" Germany (i.e., the DFB absorbing their Eastern counterparts in the same way the countries "re-unified") and we had guys like Jens Jeremeis, Carsten Jancker and Michael Ballack who were born in the DDR but were of an age where their international career would only be for the DFB.

But Nachtweih, though still playing, was too old to play for the DFB by the time the wall fell down and the DDR disappeared.

He's the only East German to have played in the final who didn't then go on to play for "Germany" Germany. Ropey but - ach - feels right to me.

All objections to this address.
                                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-11-2017, 22:15. Reason: Though I might be out. For a while.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X