European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    On 1967, I wonder also if any team has won it since without having to play any club from Germany, Italy, England, Portugal or Spain?
    Well I suppose Celtic had to beat a team from Italy to win it that season but Malmo 1979, Juventus 1985 and Steaua 1986 all reached the final avoiding the countries you mention. Maybe more.

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-04-2018, 12:34. Reason: Page 67

Comment

Conversely there are five occasions on which teams have reached the final beating only sides that have, to date, reached any of the European finals.

Only on one of those occasions had all the opponents reached a European final previous to that particular campaign.

And only on one of those occasions were all the opponents past/future finalists of the European Champion Clubs' Cup/UEFA Champions League.
      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 15-01-2018, 11:21. Reason: one point for each question you get right - ten points for understanding the question.

Comment

It's tricky for the groups era because there is often one makeweight in a group that has never been near the final of any of the European tournaments.

Comment

I've been reading Daniel Taylor's enjoyable nostalgia trip, I Believe in Miracles. It throws up plenty of potential trivia questions about the Forest years, but this'll do for starters:

Who was Forest's reserve keeper for the 1980 final?

(We should probably impose a 24 hour embargo before Alex answers, to give the rest of us a chance ... )

Follow-up: what else was notable (unique at the time, maybe since?) about Forest's subs for that game?

Comment

I'm guessing it wasn't Chris Woods?

Comment

It's tricky for the groups era because there is often one makeweight in a group that has never been near the final of any of the European tournaments.
              Aye, all five are pre-1991 mate.
              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 15-01-2018, 15:58. Reason: I'm not giving much away there

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                I've been reading Daniel Taylor's enjoyable nostalgia trip, I Believe in Miracles. It throws up plenty o f potential trivia questions about the Forest years, but this'll do for starters:

Who was Forest's reserve keeper for the 1980 final?

(We should probably impose a 24 hour embargo before Alex answers, to give the rest of us a chance ... )

Follow-up: what else was notable (unique at the time, maybe since?) about Forest's subs for that game?
                I've just googled Forest's subs and I've still no idea what could be unique about them!

Comment

It was Jim Montgomery on the bench, wasn't it?

And the only thing I can think of that links all four subs and could be considered slightly unusual is that they all spent some time in their playing career outside Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                    It was Jim Montgomery on the bench, wasn't it?

And the only thing I can think of that links all four subs and could be considered slightly unusual is that they all spent some time in their playing career outside Europe.
                    Is that what was unique, not using full complement in a final?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                      I've been reading Daniel Taylor's enjoyable nostalgia trip, I Believe in Miracles. It throws up plenty of potential trivia questions ...
                      I've contacted HR about this. My union rep's on his way. Also handy coz I don't know the answers.

But, while I've never read the book, I Believe in Miracles, the film, is absolutely brilliant tee rex. Love the bit about Larry Lloyd's wife needing a new washing machine ...

Comment

Leeds got to the final in 1975 beating Ujpest Dosza, Anderlecht and Barcelona. Are they one?

Edit: ah, no, they also played Zurich didn't they. As you were.
                        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-01-2018, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                          Is that what was unique, not using full complement in a final?
                          That's it. With several injuries, the European Cup holders didn't have enough players in their squad to fill their bench.

Montgomery almost had the chance to repeat his 1973 heroics, to be a Spink before Spink, as Shilton needed pain-killers to play.

Forest under Clough were almost permanently pissed, before/during big games, according to Taylor.

Comment

The UEFA site only gives numbers for John O'Hare (12) and Bryn Gunn (15), does anyone know what Montgomery and David 'In my sticker album I haven't got him, I' Needham wore?

Related, if Hamburg are relegated this year, which seems a strong likelihood, will it be the first time that two clubs who played each other in a final will be outside their top flights at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                              Related, if Hamburg are relegated this year, which seems a strong likelihood, will it be the first time that two clubs who played each other in a final will be outside their top flights at the same time?
                              Malmo and Forest were in their respective second tiers at the turn of the millennium.

Doing it the other way round, Bayern and Leeds were both in the second tier in the first season of the Bundesliga, 11 years before they met in the final. Borussia Moenchengladbach were also a middling Oberliga West team - effectively second tier - for most of Liverpool's 1954-62 Second Division spell.

Bloody good question though - especially with the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Juve having well-publicised spells in the lower leagues.

While, topically, Villa and Forest remain the only former champs to meet domestically outside a top tier - I'm sure, especially in England, we can find occasions when future champions did the same: Forest were in the second division with Man United in 1974-75 for a start.
                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 15-01-2018, 20:21. Reason: Chelsea weren't, mind. Frustrating.

Comment

1974-75 Man U, Villa, Forest. The first two were promoted.

1975-77 Forest v Chelsea. These two met 18 times in the old Division 2

https://www.11v11.com/teams/chelsea/...gham%20Forest/

Comment

Billy Aitken managed two future finalists - Rheims and Juventus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will...n_(footballer)

Comment

Patrick O’Connell managed clubs that would win 17 European trophies between them (over 20 if one includes SuperCups)

Comment

On the relegation question, Milan and OM were in their respective second tiers in both 1980-81 and 1982-83

Comment

Man City were in the 2nd tier in the inaugural Bundesliga season so if they ever play Bayern in the final, they equal that Leeds record.

Comment

Billy Aitken I'd heard of - great shout, Satchmo - but Patrick O'Connell was a Wiki revelation: Taking Betis to the Spanish title no mean feat either.

And I LOVED that Forest were half-pissed as they dominated Europe, tee rex. It's maybe childish on my part - or speaks of my age and background - but the Lloyd and Burns partnership at the back is one of my all time favs coz they were such fat, old booze bags. Occasionally thuggish too. Always brilliant.

Clough is the greatest manager Scotland never had. When the FA knocked him back we should have pounced - he'd have loved the chance for revenge.

Comment

Clough (+ Taylor?) would have been very expensive I'd have thought, assuming you're talking about him getting the job around 1978-82.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                              Leeds got to the final in 1975 beating Ujpest Dosza, Anderlecht and Barcelona. Are they one?

Edit: ah, no, they also played Zurich didn't they. As you were.
                                              A noble effort, Rogin - both by Leeds and your good self.

It was Milan 1958 and 1969; Inter 1964, Bayern 1987 and PSV 1988.

Before losing to Porto in the 1987 final, Bayern defeated sides who had all already played in at least one European final (PSV, Austria Vienna, Anderlecht and Real Madrid). Only side ever to do this.

Before whupping Ajax in the 1969 final, Milan defeated Malmo, Celtic and Manchester United. They're the only team to reach the big final defeating only teams who had/would themselves reached/reach that big final.

In fairness, Milan's second round bye made it a bit easier in 1968-69. For example, Atletico Madrid reached the 2016 final by overcoming four former European champions - Benfica in the group stages then PSV, Barca and Bayern in the knock-outs. In fact, with 2000 UEFA Cup winners Galatasaray finishing third in that group it was only Astana stopping Atletico joining this list.

No club has ever reached the European Cup/UCL final by defeating only European trophy winners.

Comment

Clough (+ Taylor?) would have been very expensive I'd have thought, assuming you're talking about him getting the job around 1978-82.
                                                That'll be why it never happened then.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                                  No club has ever reached the European Cup/UCL final by defeating only European trophy winners.
                                                  Although Shakhtar Donetsk or PSG could change that this season.

(Man City and Bayern were on course through the group stages but drawing Basel and Besiktas, respectively, in the last 16 has scuppered their chance. Bet they're gutted.)

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                                    That will be Vardar Skopje. They were originally awarded the Yugoslav title one season after half of the league was deducted points for matchfixing. However the deductions were eventually overturned, but by that point Vardar were already entered into the European Cup.
                                                    That particular Yugoslav First League season gets the Season in Brief treatment in the new WSC 372 incidentally

Comment

Working...
                                                    X