Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119
Results 2,951 to 2,961 of 2961
    Barcelona 1960s and Juventus 1990s are two of them for reasons we’ve recently discussed.

Juventus hold the record, with three appearances in the finals of each of the Champions Cup and UEFA Cup

Five across the back, one up front.
    Teams
    Winton Rovers, Scotland, Rangers.
    Biscuit
    Viscount (Mint only)
    Actor
    Montague H Withnail
    Correct so far, ursus.

And now you've got Juve I can freely admit you inspired the question.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Viscount (Mint only)
    Actor
    Montague H Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post
    Atletico Madrid won their third Europa League of the 2010's the other night. Between the second and third triumphs they lost two Champions League finals to Real...

... (2) But each of the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s also produced a club (different clubs by the way) who has lost the ECCC/UCL final at least once and reached three "minor" European finals in the same decade
    1960s: Barcelona: European Cup runners-up 1961; Fairs Cup winners 1960 & 66, runners-up 1962; European Cup-Winners' Cup runners-up 1969.

1970s: ?

1980s: ?

1990s: Juventus: Champions League winners 1996, runners-up 1997 & 1998; UEFA Cup Winners 1990 & 93, runners-up 1995.

2010s: Atletico de Madrid: Champions League runners-up 2014 & 2016; Europa League winners 2010, 2012 & 2018.
    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-05-2018 at 19:42. Reason: I've been to Wigtown and back - via the fucking A702 & 712 too - and still this isn't answered?! Poor.

The front line in the battle of red v. grey
    Teams
    Carlisle United, Liverpool, Bootle.
    Biscuit
    Tunnocks caramel wafer
    Actor
    A fat Ian Hislop
    70s - Gladbach?

Teams
    Biscuit
    Tunnocks caramel wafer
    Actor
    A fat Ian Hislop
    By the way - A712, what an absolutely mint road that is. The bit past Clatteringshaws loch and the red deer range is superb.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Viscount (Mint only)
    Actor
    Montague H Withnail
    Yes and yes, TRLB. Ashamed to say it's the first time I've ever driven either road or been to Wigtown. Came down through Ayrshire, then the coast to Girvan (which I'd done before to see Girvan playing in the Juniors), then home the long way round to the M74 was all new. Absolutely gorgeous - plenty stops for pics. Love how the sporadic felled forests add a splodge of the desolate to the whole vibe.

Borussia Moenchengladbach: European Cup runners-up 1977; UEFA Cup winners 1975 & 1979, runners-up 1973.

I know you'll enjoy those runners-up years almost as much as we enjoyed the Clatteringshaws Loch today.

The team of the 80s is Real Madrid

Lost to Liverpool in 1981, lost the CWC to Aberdeen in 1983, won consecutive UEFA Cups against Videoton and Köln in 1985 and 1986.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Viscount (Mint only)
    Actor
    Montague H Withnail
    And we're done here.

Outstanding work, ursus - you were very much El Cholo of that question, with TRLB the Quique Sánchez Flores.

It's a goodish at-a-glance representation of the countries who've held the power in European club competition, in that Atletico represent Spain while Barca and Real Madrid are clearly countries of their own.

But it becomes a near-perfect representation if we squeeze in Leeds United (European Cup runners-up 1975; Cup-Winners' Cup runners-up 1973; Fairs Cup winners 1968 & 70, runners-up 1967) over a ten year period , the disrespecting of the "decade" criteria perfectly illustrating England's belated, dominant then nefarious presence in Club Europe.

Teams
    Exeter City
    Biscuit
    Takes
    Injuries and surprise selections permitting, the 2018 final will probably feature players from England, Scotland and Wales for the first time since 1985.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Tunnocks caramel wafer
    Actor
    A fat Ian Hislop
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post
    Borussia Moenchengladbach: European Cup runners-up 1977; UEFA Cup winners 1975 & 1979, runners-up 1973.

I know you'll enjoy those runners-up years almost as much as we enjoyed the Clatteringshaws Loch today.
    Before my time as a coat hanger for the Reds, but yes, it's all part of the back story. Gladbach are probably the most fondly remembered of Liverpool's final opponents, not so much for the games themselves but for the freundschaft that has grown up between small groups of fans on either side since the Germans clubbed together to raise thousands of pounds for the Hillsborough families in the aftermath of that tragedy. A couple of years later, a group of Gladbach fans came over for a Liverpool game and later that season some Liverpool fans went the other way to take in a game at the Bökelberg. This has been continued every season since 1992, and you always know when the Germans are in town because George mentions it on the tannoy and plays their fan anthem and some other punky German songs at half time.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Viscount (Mint only)
    Actor
    Montague H Withnail
    Nice, TRLB. Like I've said a million times on this thread alone, 77 was the first final I remember watching - and that Moenchengladbach strip was the first I ever craved like my life depended on it. Arguably that strip -which seemed so unbearably exotic at the time - and that game are the reasons I'm on here 41 years later boring the tits off everyone. Just made me fall in love with European football.

That would have been the last game of the non-Souness era at Liverpool I imagine (or maybe he arrived mid-season from Boro the following campaign?) but the first time I saw Moenchengladbach in the flesh was less than ten years after Rome and Souness was playing against them as Rangers player-manager in one of the most intense UEFA Cup ties ever.

Quote Originally Posted by tee rex View Post
    Injuries and surprise selections permitting, the 2018 final will probably feature players from England, Scotland and Wales for the first time since 1985.
    And we've had a Scotsman, Englishman and Welshman winning it with non-UK clubs between times.

I know Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney have all done it for English clubs but two of those I'm talking about scored in the final for those foreign teams.

So I hope Andy Robertson repeats his feat v Brighton last week because Scotland is the odd one out. Can't really blame Paul Lambert for not scoring in the 97 final - Jürgen Kohler absolutely eviscerated him during and after a game once for daring to go over the half-way line looking for a goal because Dortmund were 4 up - but Steve Archibald is probably still hanging his head in shame along with rest of Barca's team of 86.