European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I would like to nominate Tom Finney playing for Distillery for two distinctions

1. Greatest mismatch between greatness of player and smallness of club
    Bit harsh on Distillery who were Irish League champions at the time, 6 league titles, 12 Irish Cups, 138 years old etc. George Best played for Dunstable Town among others, Tommy Lawton played for Kettering. Bobby Moore for Carolina Lightning etc

Comment

Dunno the answer but I wonder how many European players have won 50 caps since 1945 but have never played in any phase of the European Cup or Champions League? I thought Tom Finney would be one but he played against Benfica, including Eusebio, for Distillery at Windsor Park

http://tdifh.blogspot.com/2011/09/25...lly-makes.html
      Steve Staunton has 102 caps without troubling the Champions League. Pat Jennings didn't play C1 either did he?

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
        Bit harsh on Distillery who were Irish League champions at the time, 6 league titles, 12 Irish Cups, 138 years old etc. George Best played for Dunstable Town among others, Tommy Lawton played for Kettering. Bobby Moore for Carolina Lightning etc
        Socrates for Garforth Town, natch.

Comment

Biggest mismatch between player and club in a European Cup tie was what I meant. Apologies for leaving off that clarifier.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
            I'll kill this one off because it's not a very good question but an interesting aside .. Neal's goal was the first and only home goal conceded by either of the finalists
            Ah, but was it really a 'home' goal conceded?

Comment

Dunno the answer but I wonder how many European players have won 50 caps since 1945 but have never played in any phase of the European Cup or Champions League? I thought Tom Finney would be one but he played against Benfica, including Eusebio, for Distillery at Windsor Park

http://tdifh.blogspot.com/2011/09/25...lly-makes.html
              Lots of Welsh internationals I would imagine. Chris Gunter (85) and Ashley Williams (76) being prime examples

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                Ah, but was it really a 'home' goal conceded?
                Unequivocally yes. If the final just happens to be at the home ground of one of the finalists then that finalist is lucky enough to have a home game- even if they are named second on the team sheet, play in the away kit, change in the away dressing room and only get 40% of the tickets. See also host nation at international tournaments (and Dublin at Croke Park)

Comment

I don't know, if Spurs were to somehow stop drawing with lower-level teams and make it to the FA Cup final, I'd struggle to see it as a home game for them

Comment

Spurs a bit of a grey area this season I grant you! But Wembley's not their home anyway is it? If Chelsea played the FA Cup final at Stamford Bridge I'd count that as a home game. Some people might not, but obviously they'd be wrong! Olimpico was Roma's home.

Comment

And still is! Maybe I'm just still giddy from celebrating Cork City's President's Cup win at Oriel Park

Comment

Where does 2017-18 rank in seasons with the most one-sided last 16 ties? Three out of six, i.e. 50%, first legs so far have produced 4 or 5 goal margins.

Comment

Money talking louder and for longer into each tournament. This is how cartels do.

Comment

A bit of a reach this question - and one concerning both current European club tournaments. But while it was only right and proper to take a pause on page 85, it's time we moved on.

This one pertains to the Champions League Round of 16 we're currently in the midst of, and the Europa League Round of 32 just concluded:

Three of the matches took place/will take place in the same stadium in which the two countries represented by each club also met in a major international finals tournament.

Two of the matches did/will take place in the same city as those two countries once met in a major finals.

[For example, if Milan had played Villarreal in last week's Europa League, one of the answers would be Italy v Spain (0-0) at the San Siro in Euro 1980]
                            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 27-02-2018, 12:25. Reason: convoluted enough?

Comment

The easiest one is PSG v Real Madrid, repeating the 1984 Euros final in Paris

Comment

... in the very same stadium, Satchmo. Correct.

Comment

If I've read the question right - Chelsea v Barcelona in the same city as England v Spain in 1996.

Comment

There's a few examples from the group stages of the same ground being used: Benfica v Man U = Portugal v England 2004. Spurs v Dortmund = England v WG 1966 (if we count both Wembley stadia as one ground). Spurs v Real Madrid = England v Spain Euro 96. The return fixture was Spain v England 1982.

Comment

... and (and I had to check the Europa League results for inspiration) - Marseille v Braga in the same stadium as France v Portugal in 1984.

Comment

Thought I was onto something with 1976 but no avail.

Comment

You've read the question right, Walt - deserving of a prize in itself - and you've got two bang-on.

So, so far, we have:

SAME STADIUM:

Marseille v Sporting Braga (Euro 84 semi)
                                          PSG v Real (Euro 1984 final)

SAME CITY:
                                          Chelsea v Barcelona (Euro 96 quarter-final)

Just looking for one more from each category.

Comment

There's a few examples from the group stages of the same ground being used: Benfica v Man U = Portugal v England 2004. Spurs v Dortmund = England v WG 1966 (if we count both Wembley stadia as one ground). Spurs v Real Madrid = England v Spain Euro 96. The return fixture was Spain v England 1982.
                                            Stop it. I can't take it. I know I've got a cheek but I was so relieved Denmark and Spain managed to miss each other in Madrid at the four-team Euro 1960 as Atletico v Copenhagen was starting to hurt my head after Partizan v Plzen had me celebrating the break-up of Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia long before I realised they'd also missed each other at the four-team Euro 76.

And that's just "same city" potential ...

Comment

Italy v England 1980 Euros in Turin but different stadium to Juventus v Spurs
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-02-2018, 13:41.

Comment

England lost to Italy in the old Communale in Torino in the 1980 Euros, so Juventus-Tottenham is another
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-02-2018, 14:17.

Comment

That's it, gents - you've simultaneously nailed the second of the Same City category. Italy v England at Euro 80 in Turin, but not the same stadium as Juve hosted Spurs in their last UCL match.

One to go. These clubs have met/will meet at the very same stadium as their respective countries met in a major finals ...

Comment

... I actually thought this last one was the most obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X