No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the holy grail right there, EIM. Performed in the home of the team that's beaten/will beat yours in the final, on the night of your team winning it:

Russell Watson and infamous Ultras Sur ringleader Alicia Keys (1964 final; Inter 3 - 1 Real Madrid) beating Inter fan Bocelli who, frankly, doesn't get what we're trying to achieve here.

Walkers stadium and the San Siro no use to you, Andrea, son. Get yerself along to the Amsterdam Arena or Parkhead.

Comment

Comment

Plus Watson sang this...

https://youtu.be/6dAUSLRUYDY

Comment

You keep raising the bar, EIM.

Right. Okay. I now need to know if Simple Minds did a cover of a Beautiful South classic when they were played De Kuip ...
          Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-04-2018, 14:37. Reason: Which wouldn't count anyway - because they're called Feyenoord. Not Rotterdam.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
            You keep raising the bar, EIM.
            Of course, it's his job; he is a barman...

<falls about laughing at own pathetic joke...>

Comment

Aha! See - now - missus - no, don't - I thought I saw something here, the other week, when Trlb was calming the nerves, pre-Etihad UCL 1/4 final, about "EIM's pub". But I thought we were just talking about his local. Didn't realise it was his place of work (at which I'm sure not a drop has ever passed his lips).

Please tell me it's The Ox. ("Oxon"?)

EDIT: The Oxnoble. Liverpool Road.

Had one of those mid-holiday nights, three or four years back where we kept falling out about what kind of food we wanted and where and the traipsing up and down the streets had us increasingly famished and knackered and - somehow - pickier. Then, we saw a distant light ...

Lovely staff, lovelier beer, perfect ambience, sensational grub.

Went back to Manchester just after New year last year and just as we found ourselves heading for the same dilemma, headed for the Ox with smug, knowing smiles.

Shut for refurbishment. Coz who the fuck goes to Manchester in the first week in January?

(European Cup link? Manchester hotspot on the Liverpool Road? Has to be a metaphor for Klopp's run to this season's semis)
              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-04-2018, 11:42. Reason: All Bar One.

Comment

First European Cup goal ever scored in Germany - Eddie Turnbull for Hibs.

First Champions League goal ever scored in Germany - Ian Ferguson for Rangers.

Can anyone tell me the opposition in each case?
                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 22-04-2018, 08:35. Reason: And the venues would be nice too if you could manage it.

Comment

For the latter, simply by a process of elimination, I'm going to say CSKA Moscow, with no idea why or how.

Comment

Correct, Denis.

VfB, Germany's only representative, went out in the penultimate qualifying round of the first season of the re-brand (as you know, to three-strip Leeds). So no German club in the first ever Champions League proper.

But CSKA Moscow, in Rangers' group, played their home games in Deutschland coz of the Russian winter. Second and third games were at Berlin's Olympic Stadium. Their first was at the Ruhrstadion, Bochum. Ferguson with the only goal.

So we had a Scot, a Ghanaian, two Belgians and two Russians scoring UCL goals in Germany in that 1992-93 season - and a Frenchman when Boli got the only goal of the Munich final.

Rudi Völler was the first German to score in the Champions League proper. Which he did for Marseille, at Ibrox, in front of me (and a few others) and thanks to Stephen Pressley's awful back-pass, on the first ever Matchday One. It meant a German had scored the second ever Champions League goal on Scottish soil, just as a German scored the second ever European Cup goal on Scottish soil.

But Bernd Hobsch, who was already the first German to score for a German club in the Champions League - in Werder Bremen's 3-2 loss at Porto on Matchday One of the 1993-94 season - became the first German to score a Champions League goal on German soil in Werder's epic Matchday Two comeback win over Anderlecht.

Hobsch, rechts

Hobsch scored the 81st minute equaliser ... after two Belgians had put Anderlecht 3-0 up and a New Zealander and Norwegian had started the comeback.

This is Wynton Rufer. He's not German.
                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 22-04-2018, 19:02. Reason: But, for some reason, that season, Spartak Moscow played in the Luzhniki

Comment

The Oxnoble is nice, yeah. We're not that posh and we're more central.

Liverpool Road was the cheapest property on the Manchester Monopoly board, if I recall correctly. I'd check, but a friend of a friend smeared the board in treacle because she didn't like me, so I had to bin it. Cask is on Liverpool Road. Good beers, plus you can bring your chippy tea in the pub.

Comment

Great knowledge as always, Alex. From what I can see in that pic of Ferguson, Hateley in the background seems to have a proper sponsorless long-sleeved shirt, unlike the first game against Marseille.

Comment

Och, I get it all off Wiki and Museum of Jerseys, Denis.

Hated that strip when it first came out ("too much white!", "why do we noh get the three stripes down the sleeves??!!") - now it just denotes my favourite ever collection of players.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                            Good beers, plus you can bring your chippy tea in the pub.
                            Sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                              First European Cup goal ever scored in Germany - Eddie Turnbull for Hibs.

First Champions League goal ever scored in Germany - Ian Ferguson for Rangers.

Can anyone tell me the opposition in each case?
                              Denis got the latter. Here's a subtle clue to the former.

Comment

Roma playing only their second semi-final, against the team they met in their only previous final appearance: Same as Liverpool in the 1977-78 semis.

Comment

Alex, are Rangers about to lose their record as the worst ever semi-finalists?

Comment

That Celtic-loving bastard Dzeko's just ruined it ...

... and Milner's just made it worse.

Nope. Not this year, Gangster. That was Man U - Schalke all over again: briefly teasing me with the possibility of a nine-goal margin of aggregate victory.

"Hang on. Hang on a minute. No - wait. See that wee guy over there. He was at oor semi. Thought he was gonnae explode".
                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 25-04-2018, 08:52. Reason: Not the only Scottish side to concede 12 to the same team in one season of the competition though. And at least we scored 4.

Comment

I feel it's my duty to inform you here so nobody suffers cardiac arrest when they turn on their TVs later - Real Madrid CF have opted to play in their black change kit tonight.

Comment

Thanks for trying, Denis. After them wearing the change kit v Barca (Spanish Super Cup?) I shouldn't be upset. But. I mean. Fuckssakes.

Maybe Atletico can compensate by going with the blue rather than red shorts when wearing their home kit next week v Arsenal.

Comment

Could be a kit clash in the final when Real and Liverpool both want to shift more away kits by changing to black. #NoAlCalcioModerno

Comment

Liverpool can't change to black though, their alternative options are white with green pinstripe quadrants or a Day-Glo orange only eclipsed in brightness by Firmino's teeth.

Comment

Real Madrid will now have played Liverpool, Atletico de Madrid, Juventus and Stade de Reims in the final twice.

Beating Milan's record of Liverpool, Benfica and Ajax twice each.

Liverpool just getting in the game with Real Madrid and Milan twice each.

Man U and Barcelona only have each other.

So, which club holds the record for playing the most finals without ever meeting the same opponent twice?

Comment

How are you treating replays?

Comment

Assuming that they are counted as a single encounter, the answer is FC Bayern with ten

Beat Atlético Madrid, Leeds United, Saint-Etienne, Valencia and Borussia Dortmund
                                                  Lost to Aston Villa. Porto, Manchester United, Internazionale and Chelsea

Comment

That's how I was treating it, ursus. Correct.

It's as the repeat finals rack up one realises just how unique an achievement Bayern's is ... especially when you add the fact they played none of those ten clubs in either of their final appearances in the other European comps either.

Real have still met the most opponents in the final, however: a nice round dozen different clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X