Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"By the time I get to Phoenix, there'll be racists..."

Comment

Count me with the Glen fans; 20 Golden Greats is an absolute treasure trove behind its cheesy looking cover. I've got an album of duets that he did with the rather underestimated Bobbie Gentry too.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        There are times when you really get it wrong, y'know?
        Glenn or me?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
          Campbell was a big fan of amateur soccer and would often visit a drizzly Hackney Marsh while in London. To be seen in his jacket gamely signalling throw ins and offsides. The Windcheater Linesman.
          I am the linesman at Notts County.

Comment

And I drive to Maine Road.

Comment

Albiston, oh Albiston

Comment

I still hear the Seagulls playing

Comment

Jimmy Webb has postponed his gig scheduled for tomorrow night at the Roundhouse, due to flu.

It's also been downgraded to a much smaller, "intimate" gig, so I'm guessing they didn't sell many tickets?

It's re-arranged for May, if anyone wants to book for then.

Comment

Smaller sounds better. I wasn't sure how the Roundhouse is configured for these In The Round events; are the rear stalls underneath the balcony?

Comment

I've never been to one. Smaller is nicer for us, but seems a bit ungrateful for such a huge talent.

Comment

As a songwriter for sure. He's not really that well-known, or regarded, as a performer though. Would he fill the Roundhouse? I've no idea how it's configured these days. Everyone sat on the floor BiTD.

Comment

Did he leave the cake out in the rain?

Comment

Last time JW was over here he played at Cadogan Hall, off Sloane Square, which has a 950 capacity compared to the Roundhouse's 1700. That was in September 2016 and he's a fairly regular visitor, which might reduce the draw for a bigger one off show. Lamont Dozier is over in the summer with a similar looking format, but for the first time, and is on course to sell out two nights at the Union Chapel, which holds 900-1000.

I've got a couple of Jimmy Webb solo albums. His voice is quite different to Glen Campbell's, much more fragile and even quavery, which gives a very different feel to the songs.

Comment

I didn't know he came over often, OK that makes sense.

Comment

One reason for the switch in venue is because the Roundhouse will only be set up in it’s 1400 capacity in the round format for this one run of shows.

If and when they could get a new date there (it’s an incredibly hard venue to get available dates in) it would generally be in the circa 3500 full standing capacity or they would have to convert it to the 1700 capacity end stage seated format for a one-off show, neither of which would really be suitable or cost-effective.

Comment

"Galveston" is simply a great song and a great record. As for the town... no.

Phoenix is horrible. As is most of Arizona.

Comment

Working...
                                  X