Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice theme tune, shame about the show

Knight Rider wins this, surely?

Although honourable mentions go to those interminable over-saturated cheaply imported cartoon serials that the BBC festooned upon the Broom Cupboard during the arse-end of the 80s - Ulysses 31, Willy Fogg, Mysterious Cities of Gold etc.

Knight Rider was OK, for its type of show.

Diff'rent Strokes is a contender for this thread.

I rather like Lazlo Bane's "Superman" but hated Scrubs after a couple of seasons, but I'm prepared to accept that others might feel the reverse.

Comment

Knight Rider was great, you madman. See also: Street Hawk and Airwolf.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
        honourable mentions go to those interminable over-saturated cheaply imported cartoon serials that the BBC festooned upon the Broom Cupboard during the arse-end of the 80s - Ulysses 31, Willy Fogg, Mysterious Cities of Gold etc.
        You forgot Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds.

I read somewhere that there were only a handful of Cities of Gold episodes but the BBC showed them on a loop which is why they always seemed like a repeat.

Best cartoon theme ever was Battle of the Planets. Can't really remember the show, but the theme tune was amazing.

Comment

Doctor Who
          Cagney and Lacey
          Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
            Cagney and Lacey
            You're nuts; Cagney And Lacey was/is great.

Hawaii Five-0 (the remake of Hawaii Five-O)

The music is great, because it's pretty much a note for note recording of the original. The series, after a passable start, rapidly became horrendous, militaristic guff.

Comment

The Hawaii Five-0 reboot included a cast crossover with NCIS which tells you all you need to know.

Comment

Now that I am thoroughly sick of it, The Big Bang Theory theme is pretty good.

Comment

Malcom in the Middle. Never got the appeal of the show. Asshole kids and a a mom driven around the bend.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I read somewhere that there were only a handful of Cities of Gold episodes but the BBC showed them on a loop which is why they always seemed like a repeat
                    All 39 episodes were broadcast in the original run from September 1986 to June 1987. It just was a massively long series that had a lot of filler. The flying golden eagle in the opening credits didn't show up for six months.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                      Now that I am thoroughly sick of it, The Big Bang Theory theme is pretty good.
                      Last couple of times I've seen Barenaked Ladies play the Big Bang theme has been in the setlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                        The Hawaii Five-0 reboot included a cast crossover with NCIS which tells you all you need to know.
                        I have a soft spot (my head....I know) for both those shows. If they put on a reboot of Rockford Files and Columbo, I'd watch those too.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the first couple of series of new 5-0, and the theme was enough to put me in a good mood for the hour anyway, but the relentless and clunky soldier love did for me eventually.

Saw a repeat of a quite bizarre mid-90s Murder, She Wrote the other day. The episode happened on the set of "Buds", a very closely observed take-off of Friends.

Comment

Strange to realise that however popular Columbo remains, the series never had a recognisable theme tune to accompany it. Most other detective series did - to varying degrees of distinctiveness - but the dishevelled one never had his own signature melody. In hindsight, perhaps he never needed one.

Comment

Originally posted by ian.64 View Post
                              Strange to realise that however popular Columbo remains, the series never had a recognisable theme tune to accompany it. Most other detective series did - to varying degrees of distinctiveness - but the dishevelled one never had his own signature melody. In hindsight, perhaps he never needed one.
                              <spits tea all over laptop>

WHAT? It only had the most marvellous and distinctive theme song ever; the Henry Mancini theme to the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCg5ZFxgDM

Comment

As a kid I remember Columbo, McCloud, Banacek and others under the NBC Mystery Movie banner.

Here's the theme song - a not-so-bad Henry Mancini number.

And from watching it we can add McMillan and Wife and Hec Ramsey to the stable.

EDIT: Tintin beats me by two minutes!

Comment

Yes, but Mancini's theme was an 'umbrella' tune not necessarily written for Columbo, was it? It was a theme to introduce a series of dramas. Columbo started off in different ways, with either some mood-setting score or no music at all. There were hints in one or two episodes in giving him a musical identity, but they didn't really work out.

On the subject thread title, I'd nominate Sorry, the Ronnie Corbett sitcom. A pleasingly amiable theme to a show I couldn't stand.

Comment

Johnny Staccato had a great theme (by Elmer Bernstein) and titles. I can't really remember too much about the show though. It wasn't on very long, in the UK at least.

77 Sunset Strip I do remember, and it was a lot lamer than it ought to have been. The theme deserved better.

Comment

Ski Sunday.

Comment

The Money Programme
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBsqrvsOrGY

Comment

I assume this is specifically written theme music, rather than real songs purloined by television? Otherwise Top Gear, and Formula 1 on the BBC in the 80s, would clearly be in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            I assume this is specifically written theme music, rather than real songs purloined by television? Otherwise Top Gear, and Formula 1 on the BBC in the 80s, would clearly be in the game.
                                            And Cover Up.

Comment

How could I have forgotten Tutti Al Mondo? Because I only need to say "World Cup on ITV", don't I?

Comment

Black Beauty is a cracking tune.

Comment

As an "adult", I can now say Bod and Friends.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X