The all-encompassing TV thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
    Haven't seen too much of this weekend's football but can I make a plea to the Premier League clubs, please spend some of your ill gotten gains on some bloody net pegs!

Too many goals are currently having their aesthetic completely ruined by the fact that as the ball hits the back of the net the bloody goal flies up in the air, that stupid metal frame thing is clearly not doing the job so peg the bloody thing down.
    Bring back proper stanchions, I say.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
      MOTD2 have reduced their greatest goals of the Premier League error* down to five candidates.

They are:

(1) Tony Yeboah's goal. Which is the only thing people remember about Tony Yeboah.

(2) Bergkamp taking the piss out of Dabizas against NUFC.

(3) Rooney overhead kick in Manchester derby.

(4) Some identikit Henry goal where he dribbles past some hapless defenders.

(5) Jack Wilshere against Norwich where Arsenal players kept refusing to shoot yet somehow everybody drools over it.

WHERE IS PAOLO DI CANIO?! Does he not make it in because he assaulted a referee and Alan Shearer can't stand foreign cheats?

And the Bergkamp goal against Leicester.

* should be "era", but I'm leaving it as is.
      So Le Tissier never played then. Wtf?

Comment

Which of Tony Yeboah's wonder goals, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          It wasn't. But it is now. Thank you for clarifying. You can surely see how the context would have lead me to the interpretation I made, though?
          He did very well to get on the end of the cross and turn it in. A lot of other players wouldn't have got near it.

Huh?

I think you're being a bit over-defensive there mate. Unless I missed the memo that said that we're allowed to criticise any footballers on OTF as long as they're not Spurs?
          For sure, you can criticise whomsoever you wish from whatever team, however, given your rather dismissive use of 'hilarious' in response to my original post, I think you can see from where my subsequent tone might've been coming. I've no objection to intelligent criticism of Spurs - heaven knows, we've deserved it in the past - but sometimes you appear a little over-ready to pounce, as indeed it were. But I retract 'bitter' - I don't think you're that.

Viz Dele, I think he's been a prize prannet in the past, but he really wasn't yesterday. Okay, he now has this rep of being something of a wind-up merchant, but that's just a facet of the game these days: I don't especially like it either, but as long as players remain within the law, then opponents really have to be able to deal with it. (When you look at a player like Robbie Savage, that was pretty much all he had, and for most of his career. The difference with Dele is that he happens to be a very good footballer - albeit one that, at 21, hasn't quite grown out of all that yet.)

Kane's tackle was nay great, either, but his playing of the ball was presumably what kept him on the field. I don't think he's ever been red-carded, in fact - and his average of 4-5 yellows per season doesn't especially suggest a player on the verge of 'hate-figuredom'. (I appreciate that it wasn't you that said this, but I thought I'd mention it in this post.)

Comment

There was no justifiable reason why Kane should have escaped a red card. Playing of the ball or not. Impeccable disciplinary record or not. Clearly Im expected to say that but it also applies to Ritchie.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              Which of Tony Yeboah's wonder goals, anyway?
              Vs Wimbledon.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                There was no justifiable reason why Kane should have escaped a red card. Playing of the ball or not. Impeccable disciplinary record or not. Clearly Im expected to say that but it also applies to Ritchie.
                Looking at the tackle again, yes, he could easily have walked. However, my mention of Kane's (almost) 'impeccable disciplinary record' was not in direct reference to that particular offence - which would be ridiculous.

Comment

That isn't even the best Yeboah goal. Or the best Bergkamp goal. Dalian Atkinson's goal v Wimbledon should have been in there but as we've seen so many times you can't trust the public.

Comment

I think I could probably guess, but which are your nominations for the best from Messrs Yeboah and Bergkamp then, Mr Beast?

There was a lovely little bit on Tony Yeboah in the Match of the Day at 50 programme from three years ago, which happily is on YouTube in its entirety, starring both those fabulous strikes against Liverpool and Wimbledon that looked so exuberantly effortless they even now make me almost tearful with joy:

Comment

The BBC are replaying Sheffield United v Manchester United exactly 25 years after it occurred on the opening day of the Premier League. Into the second-half now, you may be able to replay it afterwards.

Fair play to Sheffield United for playing Alan Cork, who seems to be about 90 despite apparently only being 33 at the time.

Comment

That was a good result for Liverpool with a couple of very decent goals. Should go through easily enough. They may well get found out at a higher level.

Comment

Barnsley beat Forest despite having only 38% possession.

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                            Fair play to Sheffield United for playing Alan Cork, who seems to be about 90 despite apparently only being 33 at the time.
                            This is so true. I've always remembered him primarily from scoring in the Sheffield derby in the 1993 FA Cup semi-final, where he had a big round salt'n'pepper beard and bald head, like a kindly elf at Santa's workshop, and had to be at least 57.

Comment

IIRC he looked like he should have been on the Knights' Watch.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-08-2017, 12:06.

Comment

Fox yesterday did not annoy me as much as usual. Not as much annoying punditry around the game.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-08-2017, 12:10.

Comment

Alan Cork's eldest daughter, born in the mid-to-late 80s, is called Kayleigh - from which we can reasonably deduce he is a Marillion kind of chap.

Comment

There must be around two million Kayleighs, all born around 1985-86. And around 25 million Kylies, all born two or three years later.

Comment

They peaked pretty much simultaneously (and much later) over here:

Kylie: 1,222 per million births in 2008
                                      Kayleigh: 350 per million births in 2009

Comment

Celtic start a little nervy, but Sinclair misses a decent chance after 4 minutes.

Comment

Postikov "takes one for the team" and gets a yellow.

Comment

Griffiths should have scored. Free header after a great cross.

Comment

Watching Napoli v Nice. Very open. Dante is perhaps the main hope of stopping a home win.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Watching Napoli v Nice. Very open. Dante is perhaps the main hope of stopping a home win.
                                                Forgot that there were alternatives to the Celtic match. Just turned over and Napoli are 1 up.

Cannot bring myself to watch the Erdoğan regime game play Sevilla.

Comment

The Celtic game thus far, is a bag of shite.

Celtic are not finding the through pass, Scott Brown is giving the ball away, and they are trying to pass out from the back with Astana biting their ankles. Throw on a big lad. If we have one.

Comment

So, Rogic has a jinky wee run, and chips one in.

*Own goal, after the defender is caught in two minds.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X