No announcement yet.

The all-encompassing TV thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom three now. Plenty of time to get out of there but still, for a club of Everton's size and tradition...very shite. And they are playing like a bottom three side, clearly.

The replacement hunt will be difficult because they clearly would have had no contingency for replacing a manager in October. Has to be someone with experience of relegation scraps, but not a ridiculously past it manager like Palace appointed. I would forget the Europa League, which always looked like a drain and a hindrance.

Might be a case of a short-term appointment to get out of relegation (Ranieri?) then a long-term rebuilding appointment in the Summer.

Comment

#Lolvren.

Comment

This is carnage, Son hits the bar, should be 3-0

Comment

Bit of comedy goalkeeping from Lloris there, as unexpected as it was welcome.

Comment

I'm currently at Oktoberfest listening to a (very good) German fest band knocking the bollocks out of "Volare".

Sounds like I made the right decision.

Comment

I was called to the chair on the final whistle but that Sanchez goal... I mean he could have doubled back and run right across the penalty area again and no one would have put a tackle in.

5-2 is a pretty poor showing for a top 4 contender against such a terrible team.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                The most sensible appointment would be Sean Dyche. I desperately hope that he will see out the season at Turf Moor though.
                But why would Sean Dyche want to go there? Maybe money but it looks like career suicide for anyone. If you're the guy who takes Everton down that will be a stain on your CV forever.

Comment

Mike Walker never recovered from a mere near-miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    But why would Sean Dyche want to go there? Maybe money but it looks like career suicide for anyone. If you're the guy who takes Everton down that will be a stain on your CV forever.
                    Because it is about as good as he's going to get, and he will have time and a budget at Goodison which Burnley can't hope to meet. Clubs like Leicester, Palace, even West Brom or Stoke... they aren't a massive leap up and are probably about where they are ever going to be. He's not getting a crack at the really big clubs any time soon, if ever.

This is, of course, predicated on him going in the summer - which quite a lot of people at t'Turf expect. Including myself. He's surely got to the point where hes gone as far as he can - Burnley are not going to be top 10 or even top 15 in the Premier League on a regular basis and he can't keep pulling miracles out of the hat. I don't want him to leave, obviously, but I wouldn't blame him if he fancied a career move.

As long as he hangs round until we get to 40 points and a Cup run would be nice.

Comment

I get that but at the moment I can't see Everton as a step up for him. Or anyone.

Comment

And to think Mourinho didnt even try to attack this Liverpool defence last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Arse deserve to be winning, no question about that, but the inconsistency in the officiating is irksome, to say the least...
                          Is a spurs fan (9 penalties last season no red cards despite alli Wanyama Vertonghen etc)
                          really proactively moaning about inconsistency amongst referees? In your position I'd do my best not to draw attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Your hairdresser has a waiting room? (Etc.)

I'd say that this is the worst Prem Lge performance I've seen this season. Far worse than anything Palace have dished up so far.
                            Palace were quite decent yesterday. Quite decent meaning being no worse than an average home side. But the mythical & nonexistent neutral having no idea of the respective league positions etc would have struggled to split the team going into the top 6 from the team remaining rock bottom.

Comment

Good old Liverpool, forever turning the corner until they kick themselves in the arse.

Comment

Innit. Come to Oktoberfest and listen to Bergluft instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                  Is a spurs fan (9 penalties last season no red cards despite alli Wanyama Vertonghen etc)
                                  really proactively moaning about inconsistency amongst referees? In your position I'd do my best not to draw attention to it.
                                  That was bad today though. I found it annoying. if the ref got every single call right, Arsenal would still have won easily, but he was annoying. If an everton player and an arsenal player committed the same foul, he'd book the everton player and give the arsenal player a warning. (it usually wasn't the everton player's first foul mind you, but certain types of fouls should be yellow cards even if they're your first offence) It's not an arsenal thing though, i've just lost count of how many games I've seen where the players of a bigger team got a slightly more generous class of refereeing, and that's a bias that I've seen go against arsenal about as often as I've seen it go in their favour. He also could have sent off koscielny for that foul where he booked him. That was a really bad and utterly unnecessary foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                    Because it is about as good as he's going to get, and he will have time and a budget at Goodison which Burnley can't hope to meet. Clubs like Leicester, Palace, even West Brom or Stoke... they aren't a massive leap up and are probably about where they are ever going to be. He's not getting a crack at the really big clubs any time soon, if ever.

This is, of course, predicated on him going in the summer - which quite a lot of people at t'Turf expect. Including myself. He's surely got to the point where hes gone as far as he can - Burnley are not going to be top 10 or even top 15 in the Premier League on a regular basis and he can't keep pulling miracles out of the hat. I don't want him to leave, obviously, but I wouldn't blame him if he fancied a career move.

As long as he hangs round until we get to 40 points and a Cup run would be nice.
                                    See I'm not sure that's necessarily all that true. The financial gap between burnley and everton is not that big. Burnley are just extremely cautious. But the gap in income is largely eaten up by the amount of money that everton are paying to players that aren't really working out. Also there's some serious duplication going on at everton. Guaye and schneiderlein are the same player more or less, and siggurdson, rooney, klassen and barkley are all playing in the same position, while they only have calvert lewin and niasse to play up front.

The other thing is that it took him a long time to get burnley this organized, and I'm sure the process wasn't pretty. The other thing is that even if he were to get everton as well organized, I don't think that would be enough for the everton fans. Dyche has enough money at burnley to try and play a more expansive game in possession, and show that he can do it. He has built up the capital at burnley to take a few more risks. He wouldn't have that at any other club. He should heed the example of Paul lambert.

Comment

Marseille-PSG should be a goalfest in 80 minutes time, especially as the home side remain notoriously inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                        Jesus, what a nonsensical post. What does 'proactively moaning' mean? And what does 'in my position' mean? That it's somehow 'my' responsibility as a Spurs fan not to talk about poor officiating where I see it? I agree that Spurs could (and probably should) have seen some stronger punishments here and there last year - as could many sides - but how does that alter any perception I might have about the absurd refereeing in the Everton/Arsenal match? Actually, don't bother answering - I'm not even sure why I'm engaging with this. It's playground stuff which I have to admit I'd lately thought you'd dropped.

Comment

Anderlecht were terrible in the 1-0 home loss to Genk in the early evening game in Belgium. The defeat means Anderlecht are now 12 points behind leaders Club Brugge with only 11 matches having been played.

Sporting play Chaves in an 8.15pm kickoff on FreeSports.

Comment

So you make a dig about Arsenal benefiting from inconsistent refereeing decisions but I'm the person who is supposed to have stopped " playground behaviour. I've not encounter special pleading like that since Dele Alli waved an imaginary yellow card

And that Patronising dad role may impress at the school fete but it s fairly ineffective on here. Still glad that you acknowledge the Inconsistency amongst referees is fairly common.

Comment

Nef, I'm as happy to see you back as the next person, but you're a grown man, for heaven's sake!

Comment

I thought there was some leniency given to Arsenal in their game. There could easily have been a yellow for kicking the ball away for example.

Comment

Wonder goal by Luis Gustavo for Marseille.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                                    Sporting play Chaves in an 8.15pm kickoff on FreeSports.
                                                    I seem to have lost FreeSports, and Talking Movies, for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X