No announcement yet.

The all-encompassing TV thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE is back. Thanks Snake. The new format of the championship coverage on Channel Five is awful. I don't care what a fan in the street thinks. I don't care what the host of Countdown thinks. Two blokes watching the TV taking us through highlights is pointless. Repeating four times what a great bloke Sheffield United's manager is adds nothing to the show. Just show us more highlights.

Comment

One of my very first posts on OTF was saying the same thing about The Football League Show.

TV execs don't seem to understand people watch highlights shows for the highlights and maybe some summarising of key points. That's all it needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
        I don't care what a fan in the street thinks.
        The filmed fan videos are a good idea in theory - i.e. in some production meeting somewhere. But no, just no.

Also, wasn't "No-one cares what we think" used by Murray twice coming out of a talk to Michael Gray?

MOTD has a maximum of seven games to do highlights for in 90 minutes. Channel 5 have generally got 10 in an hour minus ad breaks. They don't have time for superfluous chat. If they have to use up time with discussion, make it in depth tactical stuff not the usual pundit cliches. Something to differentiate.

Comment

There appears to be neither a VAR thread or something for the Dutch league and my punning ability isn't up to scratch so I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/Nicocantor1/status/893962491818106880

Comment

Are the talking heads an attempt to copy US formats?

Comment

I assume that they are responding to the perceived "market forces" that have made "Remember when Sportscenter showed highlights" the "Remember when MTV showed music videos" of our time.

There is now an entrenched belief among television executives that their target market "consumes" highlights on their mobiles hours before the traditional "highlights" shows air. Thus the perceived "necessity" to "pivot" to other content in order to attract and retain viewers.

Comment

If the pivot is to good quality analysis I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  There is now an entrenched belief among television executives that their target market "consumes" highlights on their mobiles hours before the traditional "highlights" shows air. Thus the perceived "necessity" to "pivot" to other content in order to attract and retain viewers.
                  More evidence for the "TV executives are fucking pillocks" argument

Comment

Although we've probably reached the point where a highlight show could have the gimmick that they *just* showed highlights.

Comment

There was a Eurosport show which showed only the highlights, the fixtures and tables graphics, and that was it. Some guy with a deep voice used to do the talking over the tables stuff. Unfortunately, there was usually Archie Macpherson around somewhere to fuck the players names up.

Comment

Highlights of what, though? European leagues?

I can remember Eurosport's World Cup highlights packages, during which it quickly became apparent that the aforementioned Archie M, or more often Angus Loughran had recorded their voice-overs under time constraint and completely on the fly - to the extent that in some instances they clearly weren't sure what was going to happen next. You'd end up with commentaries along the lines of "...and the Korean striker made no mistake, crashing the ball...err, into the stands on this occasion..." Well, it provided some amusement to my cousin and me during the summer of 1994.

But I digress.

Comment

I watched and quite enjoyed Channel 5's coverage throughout last season. There seemed to be a lot more of the punditry/superfluous chat on Saturday's show, the fact that there was only Colin Murray and Michael Gray rather than the two presenters and two guests they had last season making the whole thing distinctly sluggish. It's a real shame, because a decent hour and a half of highlights from three well-established and well-understood divisions ought to be pretty bloody straightforward.

Comment

Jah, the European leagues.

My point was that it was a good template: show the goals, the red cards, and the tables and fixtures. Job done.

Comment

Yes, the rather obvious let's cut costs approach means this year's version is inevitably repetitive. Oddly enough the half an hour on divisions two and three was much better because they had to cut out the inane chat.

Comment

Is the SuperDooper Cup on live in the UK?

Comment

Yup, BT Sport 2.

Comment

Hell's teeth, that was painful.

Comment

Marcus Rashford is like one of those guys who can do keepy-uppy for hours on end, but can't actually play the team sport of football. Apart from the pass to Matic for the shot which brought about the goal, did anything go right for him? As soon as he gets the ball, you know the attacking move will die, but only after he's nutmegged someone.

Comment

Hardly a classic, but Isco was excellent.

Comment

One of the best club sides I've seen, in over 50 years (even without a goalkeeper) - joy to watch, no disgrace to lose to etc etc.

I was very entertained.

Comment

Sunderland are live on TV for the second time in six days. They look a decent League Two outfit, the type who might make a late run for the play offs if they are lucky with injuries.
                                            Joe Murphy's hair transplant is the most impressive thing on display. He had an expanding bald patch 10 years ago at Scunny, looks like Justin Bieber or summat now.

Bury look to have sold out a quarter of two sides of the stadium, which is adding to the pulsating cup tie atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                              Bury look to have sold out a quarter of two sides of the stadium, which is adding to the pulsating cup tie atmosphere.
                                              You should have felt what it was like being there, mate.

Comment

Beautiful start to the Arsenal-Leicester game.

Comment

Arsenal 1 up from Lacazette after two minutes.

And then Okazaki pulls one back.

5 minutes gone.

Comment

Well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X