No announcement yet.

The all-encompassing TV thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read it as saying the last 16 is Man United's natural level and expecting more is unrealistic.

That might work if they'd gone out to Barcelona rather than Seville.

Comment

And if they hadn't spunked so much money just to play defensive shite.

Comment

At one point the camera showed Mourinho and Seville's coach having a little chat and laughing. The commentator characterised it as them agreeing that "This is a bit dire". It really was dreadful.

Man Utd started off brightly in the first ten minutes. Had they not abandoned all their hap and feck, we'd be talking about them playing lovely football, even allowing for Seville being crap. But suddenly the lights went out and they played like a gang of Fellainis.

Comment

They play like they are receiving mixed signals: attack, go defensive, without any real understanding of when and why.

I'm not sure how Mourinho's passive aggressive behaviour would ever motivate players.

Comment

Despite being 7-0 down the Beşiktaş fans are still singing and making a noise. How I miss going to matches in Turkey.

Comment

Arf.

Comment

This is hilarious, but leaves the three fecks free to “concentrate on top 4”. And if Arsenal win the Failure Cup, we’ll have to get top three.

Comment

Well, that's a start.

Comment

Woof!

Comment

And that's when my stream crapped out. Now all I know is woof.

Comment

Tidy finish. I've just realised that (Arsenal winning the EL aside), all four English (and for that matter, German, Spanish and Italian) qualifiers go straight into the group stage next season.

Comment

When did that come in? Have the rejigged the champions route?

What happens if Liverpool finish fifth winning big ears and Arsenal win Europa League. Who misses out next year? Will the FA/Premier League play hardball as per 05/06 and England end up with 6 representatives?

Comment

On 9 December 2016, UEFA confirmed the reforming plan for the UEFA Champions League for the 2018–2021 cycle, which was announced on 26 August 2016. As per the new regulations, the previous season's UEFA Europa League winners will qualify automatically for the UEFA Champions League group stage. Meanwhile, the top four teams from the leagues of the four top-ranked national associations in the UEFA country coefficients list will qualify automatically for the group stage as well. Only six teams will qualify for the group stage via the qualification rounds, down from ten in the previous season

Comment

I heard they are changed from next season. To avoid English group stage hegemony. Haven’t bothered to check links or nowt but.

Ahem. Hadn’t refreshed.

Comment

Bloody hell, they really do not want to see any representatives from leagues below the top six or so, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                                  What happens if Liverpool finish fifth winning big ears and Arsenal win Europa League. Who misses out next year? Will the FA/Premier League play hardball as per 05/06 and England end up with 6 representatives?
                                  If I understand it right, the only way we can have 5 sides is if Arsenal win the EL and finish outside the top 4. If Liverpool win the CL and finish 5th then whoever finishes 4th misses out.

Comment

Thanks ursus, reading the rest of the Wikipedia article shows that countries can have a maximum of 5 teams in the group stages. Doesn’t necessarily stop England trying to strong arm a sixth entrant.

The champions path is alive and well providing 4 places (potentially 5 if EC1 or EC2 winners are league qualified) in the group stages. I thought it was 6 previously.

I see Germany have gone ahead of England in the coefficients with Italy not far behind. No real impact but it was seen as a real low point for Serie A when the Bundesliga overtook it.

Comment

Celtic (or the winners of the Scottish league) will have 4 qualifying rounds next year.

Comment

I think that the relative quality of the teams you mention makes the eventuality of England strong-arming anyone highly hypothetical, Ek.

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                                          When did that come in? Have the rejigged the champions route?

Burnley.

Comment

Celtic (or the winners of the Scottish league) will have 4 qualifying rounds next year.

That’s vile.

Comment

I see Giroud is fitting in perfectly at Chelsea.

Comment

The four lowest ranked associations only get one leg in their first two ties so are not guaranteed a home game.

Czech champions go into the group stage if the CL champions have already qualified via their league, which must be likely. Is anyone left in, assuming Chelsea are out, who won't make their league top 4?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  I think that the relative quality of the teams you mention makes the eventuality of England strong-arming anyone highly hypothetical, Ek.
                                                  Undoubtedly.

Saying that, If Djimi Traore can power through to a winners medal and Juventus knocked out with Scott Carson in goal and Anthony Le Tallec as a lone striker then an Arsenal Liverpool double doesn’t seem outrageous.

Comment

To be fair to Liverpool, they won't finish as low as 5th. Chelsea too poor surely?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X