No announcement yet.

The all-encompassing TV thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks as if it's just me then, but there was a time before I had a PVR that I would leave the pub early to watch Match Of The Day. I don't know whether it's Premiership football that's changed or the TV presenters, but these days I don't seem to give a shit. I religiously watch Channel 5's Championship and League One shows, even the League Two section to look out for my team's former players, but by the time I've watched them I really couldn't care less about the primadonnas of the top flight. Perhaps it's just me, but there just doesn't seem to be anything about those teams that interest me any more. Even though I don't support them, I was always interested on Leicester's bid for the title as they were the underdogs, but now it's just people shifting money around.

Comment

Have to admit I gave up and didn't watch Swansea v Southampton. Bed was calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Have to admit I gave up and didn't watch Swansea v Southampton. Bed was calling.
        It was grim. Saints had 20 plus chances and only two on target. We had nothing.

Comment

David Villa has just scored a peach to make it 2-0 for NYC over Galaxy. His 18th of the season.

Comment

I've become one of those who get up early to watch it.

Comment

Sunday is my ironing day (the only chore I do in a house with 4 kids, 2 at only 13 weeks), so I record all the football on a Saturday night and watch it all whilst ironing.

Comment

Ian Wright said "danger mouse" not "danger man" in his summary. Gary's just mocking him.
                Was wondering what on earth that was all about. I thought perhaps it was something to do with Wright looking like Penfold.

I'll admit I also ducked out ahead of Saints/Swansea. I've slept like a log this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  It was grim. Saints had 20 plus chances and only two on target. We had nothing.
                  Soton have not scored at home in 545 minutes now, since 5th April (6 games and a bit). I have no idea what the record for the longest top flight home goal drought is but the Saints can’t be that far off it now, if they haven’t already smashed it that is (but probably not, I can't be arsed to check but off the top of my head I'd wager that it belongs to Derby County or my club, Sunderland).

Comment

Ian Wright said "danger mouse" not "danger man" in his summary. Gary's just mocking him.
                    I've watched it this morning, blimey, the BBC commentator (Palace v Hudds) and Wright surpassed themselves for approximation there... The BBC cameraman zoomed in on a bloke in the stands while the commentator told us it was Dean Hoyle (I'm pretty sure it wasn't), Zaha then became "danger mouse" (I wondered for a moment whether Wright was trying to subtly allude to Keegan there - mighty mouse -, I thought that it may be an insider joke that us mere mortals had no chance to fathom), then Wrighty said Middlesbrough instead of Huddersfield, then later someone else (Shearer?) tried to use one of those long impressive-sounding adjectives/words but spectacularly failed to clear that sesquipedalian hurdle (or was it in yesterday's Football Focus?), and one of two other irritating niggles (I still fail to see what Shearer adds to MOTD... The Beeb should really take a leaf from the Football League Show on Five - or whatever the latest incarnation is now).

Comment

I thought the flashback to opening day 1992 and Shearer with hair was funny.

Comment

Jonjo Shelvey really is an idiot.

Comment

Yup, but well done Dele for responding in the correct manner.

Decent victory at half-speed there.

Comment

If you can't get down to sunny Barry tonight to see them return to the Welsh Premier League, the game is going to be live on S4C.

Comment

Anyone else watching MOTD2?

I know highlights don't always tell the full story but Man U seem to have been unlucky you only get 4 goals.

Comment

Yup, but well done Dele for responding in the correct manner
                                That's hilarious. He spent most of the game trying to wind Shelvey up including kicking the ball away right before that clueless moron stepped on his foot. He responded in the correct manner, only because he'd bought and paid for that red card. He didn't need to make a meal of it, because it was job done.

Nice to see Harry kane joining the "not that kind of player" list with a particularly nasty scissor tackle from behind that led to a player being carried off.

Comment

If you're gonna stamp on someone then it should be a proper stamp, know what I mean?

I've always thought Shelvey is a bit of a twat, ever since his Liverpool days.

Comment

Kane is that sort of player though. If he played for Man U he would be universally hated.

Comment

MOTD2 have reduced their greatest goals of the Premier League error* down to five candidates.

They are:

(1) Tony Yeboah's goal. Which is the only thing people remember about Tony Yeboah.

(2) Bergkamp taking the piss out of Dabizas against NUFC.

(3) Rooney overhead kick in Manchester derby.

(4) Some identikit Henry goal where he dribbles past some hapless defenders.

(5) Jack Wilshere against Norwich where Arsenal players kept refusing to shoot yet somehow everybody drools over it.

WHERE IS PAOLO DI CANIO?! Does he not make it in because he assaulted a referee and Alan Shearer can't stand foreign cheats?

And the Bergkamp goal against Leicester.

* should be "era", but I'm leaving it as is.
                                      Last edited by anton pulisov; 13-08-2017, 23:48.

Comment

For the Saturday highlights shows, Channel 5 made immediate changes to their coverage. There was notably less chat than the previous weekend and would have been even less if it hadn't been for Colin Murray keeping going on about having no chat and getting straight on with the action.

Also they brought in Caroline Baxter as a copresenter; I think up to now she's mainly done nonleague stuff on the radio. She wasn't great but has the air of someone who will improve and over the course of an hour and a half show it is a better dynamic to have three people onscreen rather than just two. Then at the end of the show Murray referred to Five Live rather than Channel Five. Oh dear.

[Edit - it's Caroline Barker, isn't it]
                                        Last edited by Furtho; 15-08-2017, 08:22.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                          MOTD2 have reduced their greatest goals of the Premier League error* down to five candidates.

They are:

(1) Tony Yeboah's goal. Which is the only thing people remember about Tony Yeboah.

(2) Bergkamp taking the piss out of Dabizas against NUFC.

(3) Rooney overhead kick in Manchester derby.

(4) Some identikit Henry goal where he dribbles past some hapless defenders.

(5) Jack Wilshere against Norwich where Arsenal players kept refusing to shoot yet somehow everybody drools over it.

WHERE IS PAOLO DI CANIO?! Does he not make it in because he assaulted a referee and Alan Shearer can't stand foreign cheats?

And the Bergkamp goal against Leicester.

* should be "era", but I'm leaving it as is.
                                          It was done by voting on the BBC website. 3 Gooner goals - we know how the Gooners love a vote.

Comment

Yes it struck me Channel 5 either had a sack-load of complaints or someone who works there is on OTF. Still adds no value to learn that fans on receiving end of penalty decision think it was wrong while opposition thought it was correct. No shit, Sherlock.

Nor does it work to have two people who were not at a game pretending they were while they show us the highlights on an interactive screen. Just show us the bloody highlights in the normal way, even if it is called off the tube.

I love Sunday mornings now. I get up and watch the championship highlights, then the recorded Match of the Day, then the Football League Show. Love streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                              Still adds no value to learn that fans on receiving end of penalty decision think it was wrong while opposition thought it was correct. No shit, Sherlock. Nor does it work to have two people who were not at a game pretending they were while they show us the highlights on an interactive screen. Just show us the bloody highlights in the normal way, even if it is called off the tube.
                                              Yes, there are still obvious problems with the format -- totally agree with the two issues you mention and it was weird that Baxter suddenly popped up out of nowhere half an hour into the programme -- but it's an improvement from last week.

Comment

Haven't seen too much of this weekend's football but can I make a plea to the Premier League clubs, please spend some of your ill gotten gains on some bloody net pegs!

Too many goals are currently having their aesthetic completely ruined by the fact that as the ball hits the back of the net the bloody goal flies up in the air, that stupid metal frame thing is clearly not doing the job so peg the bloody thing down.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                  That's hilarious. He spent most of the game trying to wind Shelvey up including kicking the ball away right before that clueless moron stepped on his foot. He responded in the correct manner, only because he'd bought and paid for that red card. He didn't need to make a meal of it, because it was job done.

Nice to see Harry kane joining the "not that kind of player" list with a particularly nasty scissor tackle from behind that led to a player being carried off.
                                                  It was Dele's goal to which I was referring, if that were not obvious. But, y'know, if you can't nail him for losing his temper, best to rummage around for something else, eh?

You get more and more bitter as the seasons progress, Hobbes.

Comment

It was Dele's goal to which I was referring, if that were not obvious.
                                                    It wasn't. But it is now. Thank you for clarifying. You can surely see how the context would have lead me to the interpretation I made, though?
                                                    He did very well to get on the end of the cross and turn it in. A lot of other players wouldn't have got near it.

But, y'know, if you can't nail him for losing his temper, best to rummage around for something else, eh?
                                                    Huh?

You get more and more bitter as the seasons progress, Hobbes.
                                                    I think you're being a bit over-defensive there mate. Unless I missed the memo that said that we're allowed to criticise any footballers on OTF as long as they're not Spurs?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X