Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now watching MOTD2. Anyone else?

Comment

Mrs Thistle likes seeing the mower guy doing his pitch maintenance behind Chappers et al

Comment

No 2 Good, 2 Bad tonight. Sad face.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          Originally posted by blameless View Post
          Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Oh dear. Prodigy backed opening montage. Down wiv da yoof.
          I'm not sure a song from 1997 will impress da yoof much. Grandad music innit?
          Oh, thank crikey for that correction from Jah. Not having watched the show, blameless's post had left me nursing an incredulous suspicion that they might actually have opened MotD with a montage set to Smack My Bitch Up.

Comment

The moment I fell out of love with the Prodigy. (Well, I was never really in love with them, but that track, well, you know...)

I only saw the highlights of the Watford/West Ham game - while I'm generally never that displeased to see the Irons get turned over, I was mightily impressed by Heurelho Gomes's reflexes to keep them out. The boy's still got it (bar the howling errors of yore).

Comment

I think we're coming to a crunch point in football this season. No-one has offered Harry a job. Pards has been told to fuck off. Big sam is circling, but only as a firefighter. But This moyes thing is going to come to a horrible end. Surely it has to be the end of hodgson. Tony Pullis is really struggling. The gap between Rescue, and disintegration is shrinking for him. The Big question about Mark Hughes is "what is the point of him." He's been there for four and a bit seasons, and three nine placed finishes started to look like it was slipping away. Poor Shakey Shakespeare ran out of reversion to the mean good times by the end of last season, and when given the whole summer to run at things he didn't seem to have done anything.

And aside from aging "British" managers, who have basically never won anything, or ever looked like winning anything, West Ham have discovered that Slaven Bilic has been sitting in his office for 18 months with all of his stuff in boxes, waiting to be found out, Apparently he's not even the same Slaven Bilic who played for West Ham Back in the day. It turned out that Ronald Koeman is a massive spoofer, who is essentially the Dutch Steve Bruce.

We may be coming to the end of the era of the well connected manager, who likes to put his arms around the players and gets an uptick in form by improving the mood for a bit, and then spending a fortune buying random players until it all goes sour and the players need another arm around their shoulder. It turns out that a club like Huddersfield can get into the premier league, and function pretty effectively, largely on the back of coaching and systematic play alone. This season Burnley have managed to become the team from the rest of the league that are tacked on to the the top six on the back of a patient development of play. Everyone wants to employ Marco Silva because he seems able to organize a team effectively in a short space of time.

Teams may not realise it at this point but what we are seeing is that English football is changing to the point where Managers now need to be able to coach their teams in how to be able to play without the ball, but crucially, also have a system of play for when they do have the ball. Because the teams that don't have a plan for either or only one are eventually caught out and outdone by the teams that do.

This sort of thing is long overdue in English football. I was listening to a discussion on the Radio featuring Gareth Crooks, and someone from Kick It out, about a slightly different topic, but one of the interesting things that Crooks was saying was that part of the reasons why english underage football is doing so well compared to the senior team, is that coaching in the Academies is entirely professionalized, and appointments are largely made on qualifications, rather than "connections." The end result of making appointments on merit is that the number of black coaches is an awful lot closer to what you would expect, given the numbers, and the Rooney Rule is applied to Academies, so you get black coaches in senior positions. (though given the emphasis on professionalism, the numbers would be fairly high even without it)

It's just when it goes to the senior level that the whole thing falls apart. Boards appoint a manager, usually through some nebulous random system, from a small pool of established managers. Each of those managers has their own entourage of hangers on, who are appointed to positions because the Manager knows and trusts them. Frequently these coaches aren't qualified, and fifty year old British managers don't seem to have many black Friends, so first team black coaches are very few and far between.

It seems weird that Clubs spend so much money on everything, and so much money is at stake, and yet so many seem to appoint managers based on a combination of examining the entrails of sacred geese, and a bit of the cult of personality. it is long overdue that they start to "professionalize" their appointment of managers. I predict that this is going to cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth among certain pundits. I heard Alan Shearer ranting on about if you sack Tony Pullis, you'd have to appoint Tony Pullis to save you, as though the man had some sort of magical powers separate from the mechanics of tactical preparation and squad building.

The problem of course is that most Clubs are ultimately run by morons who don't know what they are doing, and at this point I'd like to point you towards Ed fucking woodward who accidentally had man utd ahead of this curve, but because he couldn't tell the fucking difference between a team struggling with an insane injury crisis, during a relatively early part of squad rebuilding, and a bad manager, he's managed to appoint a seriously old school Magic, personality based and insane manager, while everyone else marches in entirely the opposite direction

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                ... appoint managers based on ... examining the entrails of sacred geese ...
                Thanks for that laugh.

Comment

Great post, TAB.

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  The problem of course is that most Clubs are ultimately run by morons who don't know what they are doing
                  And long may it continue. This is ultimately what is keeping my club punching above its weight in the Championship and I’m loving it.

Comment

Listening to the TFS on the way home, the old canard about "Sean Dyche has changed his style of play" came up again. Yes, yes, long ball, yes, yes, defending well. The second goal seems to be getting loads of plaudits and used as evidence for the change, when it was pretty much identical to the last minute equaliser Chris Wood scored against Spurs. The pass and move for Jack Corks opener was fast, one touch stuff but I mean, that and the 24 pass Everton goal was changes show he's changed the style of play to swift, one or two touch passing, moving the ball side to side.

Three and a half years ago.

Gods sake.

Comment

Great goal. I think some commentators just see Dyche’s big ginger head and assume him to be a Megson type. So fucking lazy. Burnley are a proper pragmatic team, not in the sense of being miserable anti-football like Mourinho or Pulis, but adapting to circumstances and the opposition, rather than rigidly playing one way. Was Dyche even in consideration as England manager? Obvs he’d be mental to take it, but I’m sure he’d be far more effective than Southgate the Blazer’s friend.

Comment

I think anyone with half a brain knows Bane has got Burnley playing well, which is why they are winning games. That's why the people with less than half a brain link hin to every job at a "bigger club" that comes up. There's a doublethink at work for the hard of thinking.

Agree with all of TAB's post. It's even worse at international level which is why Shagger Ryan is being touted for Wales now.

Comment

Thank fuck Super Ally embarrassed himself at the mighty Gers before he too would be a contender for the old cum sock cursed bauble that is the Scotland job.

Comment

There was a Big Discussion last night on MNF that ultimately decided that Dyche won't get a job at a big club because he "has a reputation for playing a certain style".

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Watched the C5 Goal Rush from yesterday. Not sure who the pundit with Colin was but he got two things wrong about Shrewsbury. 1) the unbeaten run ended against Peterborough not Walsall. 2) they had a man sent off after 53 minutes. They didn't play with 10 men for 53 minutes.
                              It was Chris Iwelumo. Colin Murray is a big improvement but C5’s guest pundits still leave a lot to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                There was a Big Discussion last night on MNF that ultimately decided that Dyche won't get a job at a big club because he "has a reputation for playing a certain style".
                                I'm sure Burnley fans will be quite delighted with this, really, if such doublethink (as PT aptly puts it) continues to smokescreen him from the rapacious gaze of the big clubs. Getting your 'unfashionable' team to play a certain way in actuality (i.e. attractive, technical etc football) and getting good results from it, while simultaneously keeping up your facade of "playing in a certain style" (i.e. agricultural, route-one stuff) to the brainwashed press and punditocracy in the face of all the evidence, is a pretty damn neat trick of perception to pull off. It's what would be referred to in vampire terms as glamour... although that's not a word that is easily applied to Sean Dyche, I admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                  . It's what would be referred to in vampire terms as glamour... although that's not a word that is easily applied to Sean Dyche, I admit.
                                  Because that's how much of an evil genius he is. Seriously. Gotham is next on his agenda.

Comment

The thing about Burnley is they can do both. Play it through people like a discount, less injury-prone Arsenal, or lump it long like a discount Mourinho team. They get the reputation for agriculturalism because the fancy teams get done by the long ball and moan about it, while the long ball teams get outplayed and don't say anything because it's embarrassing to admit you've been made to look like the abject cloggers you are.

Comment

So what game is anyone watching? I've chosen Dortmund Spurs.

Comment

Liverpool. Obvs. 1-0 up inside 2 minutes after a neat Firmino finish. That said, Sevilla should have at least two, so it might be a long evening.

Comment

Three now

Comment

Then against the run of play Mane sticks away the second.

Comment

Mane makes it 2-0 with a header, then thanks God for his marker's failure to to spot him make a little run on his blind side before he stooped for the header.

Comment

Guess I should turn this on then and save Chart Music till later.

Comment

.....and Firmino taps away the third.

Comment

Actually, he smashed it away. Glad to make the distinction.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X