No announcement yet.

Your first LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Kermode swears Slade in Flame is a stone classic film. But then he also thinks the Exorcist is the greatest film ever made, so..

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Mark Kermode swears Slade in Flame is a stone classic film. But then he also thinks the Exorcist is the greatest film ever made, so..
      Hmmmm, as a Slade fan I did troop along to the local fleapit to see the film and, unless my memory is failing me badly, I don't remember coming away from it having felt that I'd just seen something which would feature heavily at the next Oscars awards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
        Public over-indulgence without a license.
        The Beatles stole the idea and everyone loved it. That's all the license you need.

Comment

Are the Beatles playing live on the roof or miming? I haven't seen the film, only bits of footage (can't stand that album) but I seem to remember it looking mimed (also the (guff, at least it's not Hello, Goodbye) All you Need is Love promo full of Twonks like Jagger sitting around the studio that is supposedly them recording it live).

Comment

On the Beatles thing, I just bought a Rubber Soul guitar tab book just so I can learn TLMG's favourite song.

I know, right?
            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 02-08-2017, 21:43.

Comment

Well, I say hers, I mean mine, but still. The thought counts.

Comment

Are the Beatles playing live on the roof or miming? I haven't seen the film, only bits of footage (can't stand that album) but I seem to remember it looking mimed (also the (guff, at least it's not Hello, Goodbye) All you Need is Love promo full of Twonks like Jagger sitting around the studio that is supposedly them recording it live).
                The Rooftop Concert? Very much live.

Comment

On the Beatles thing, I just bought a Rubber Soul guitar tab book just so I can learn TLMG's favourite song of theirs.

I know, right?

Run For Your Life? Rarely makes a courting mixtape, that ditty.

Comment

They were playing live.

All You Need is Love wasn't a promo. It was part of a global TV broadcast broadcast live internationally called Our World. The Beatles were asked to provided the UK content. Some of the song's backing tracks were pre-recorded but the rest of it went out live:

"As for the recording of “All You Need is Love” – although many elements were on the backing track, some of the recording was done live, including Lennon’s vocal, McCartney’s bass, Harrison’s guitar solo, Starr’s drums and the symphonic accoutrements (the last two adding to previous overdubs). As the song descended into multi-melodic chaos down the stretch, a conga line began to form among the crowd and the image faded out."

Comment

Cheers lads.

Comment

On the Beatles thing, I just bought a Rubber Soul guitar tab book just so I can learn TLMG's favourite song of theirs.

I know, right?

Run For Your Life? Rarely makes a courting mixtape, that ditty.
                        She's an oddball, alright.

Comment

I edited my post for no good reason. I am so tired.

Comment

"You try and keep your mind on what's going down
                            Can't help but see the rhinoceros around us
                            And you wonder what you can be
                            And you do what you can
                            To get bald and high"

Waddya mean? It's perfectly cromulent.

The best guess seems to be that's about nuclear apocalypse (I mean what isn't eh?) but you'd have to ask Marty.
                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 02-08-2017, 22:24.

Comment

The Beatles also did David Frost performances of Hey Jude and Revolution where the backing was recorded but vocals live, with Lennon doing his out/in ambivalence on the latter as per the album version.

Comment

Get Back seems to be somewhat sexist regarding people stepping outside their gender boxes. Paul was not keen on his women having independent careers rather than putting him first. That was a cause of his splitting with Jane Asher AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  The Beatles also did David Frost performances of Hey Jude and Revolution where the backing was recorded but vocals live, with Lennon doing his out/in ambivalence on the latter as per the album version.
                                  If you were at the top of your game Saturday night prime time on Frost was the place to launch your new stuff back then.

Like the first live performance of 'Sympathy for the Devil.'

"And we'll be right back with John Betjeman, and Nicol Williamson in two minutes time."
                                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 03-08-2017, 00:24.

Comment

Frost also featured the first use of the word 'cunt' on British TV (by Felix Dennis).

Comment

And also 'fuck' (on TWTWTW,) by Kenneth Tynan.

Comment

edit: Listening to it now. It's mostly rubbish. And to think that it was all downhill from there on.
                                        Last edited by anton pulisov; 06-08-2017, 21:07.

Comment

Basket Case, Longview and When I Come Around are where it's at, with an honourable mention for Welcome to Paradise. The rest is forgettable bollocks, mainly. All By Myself can occasionally raise a childish smirk.

Comment

My dad bought me a Monkees compilation called Re-Focus, cuz I loved the show when I was a kid. But the first one I was involved in the purchasing of was the Ace Frehley solo album in '77 (when each KISS member did one).

Comment

Autumn 1978, I think you'll find!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                And also 'fuck' (on TWTWTW,) by Kenneth Tynan.
                                                No, It was a short lived show called "BBC3" (long before the actual BBC3 channel of course). It was Kenneth Tynan who said it but the host was Robert Robinson.

Comment

It's not changed...

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                                    No, It was a short lived show called "BBC3" (long before the actual BBC3 channel of course). It was Kenneth Tynan who said it but the host was Robert Robinson.
                                                    According to Joe Moran's Armchair Nation the Kenneth Tynan = first person to say "fuck" on telly thing is an urban myth and before he came up with the goods on satirical show BBC3 in November 1965 at least two people had beaten him to it: playwright Brendan Behan while being interviewed by Malcom Muggeridge on Panorama in June 1956 and then in 1959 an unnamed interviewee who, when asked on Ulster TV's live teatime magazine show Roundabout whether it was boring painting a particular set of railings in Belfast all year round responded, "Of course it's fucking boring".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X